Author Topic: Lake James  (Read 922 times)

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
Lake James
« on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:16 PM »
would it be worth doing a long weekend at pokhagen (SP). stayin at the lodge or cabin cant remember what they have. Tobogganing (SP) and fishing. How is the fishing in that area i know its a big lake. would have wife myself and 2 kids. could/would anyone lead me in the right direction?  ;D
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline will1322

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake James
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:37 PM »
i think you would be ok to plan the trip, just make sure there is ice before planning!
there are many lakes in that area that are close to pokagon. jimmerson, james, snow marsh and loon just to name a few within 5-miles of pokagon. also could go east about 10 miles or so to fish lake or clear lake. all the lakes mentioned have good gills, perch and crappie if you find them. also there are walleye and pike in most of those lakes. i've fished all these lakes for years, and have caught many nice fish and quantities as well. as for the tabbogin at james i think your kids and wife would enjoy it a lot, although i have never done it i have heard
that it is a good time!
hope this helps some, and keep hoping for ice soon so the trip will be fulfilled!

WIL

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:43 PM »
Yeah I drove the bus for our youth group to the tobigin run it is a blast. was hoping to get some good fishing in!  ;)

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:15 PM »
Very big lake like will said make sure you find out about ice conditions first. However there are many good fishing options in the area on smaller bodies of water if James isn't frozen yet. The end where you will be staying I
have never fished. But straight across for there is the old Docksiders which gets fished heavy early ice. i do
most of my fishing in the upper basin. There are just about all panfish species and bass along with northern
pike.
Fish on!

Offline Hermdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard, Die Happy
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2011, 04:02 AM »
Unless your plannin on fishin out of a boat, you'd better wait a couple weeks. We have no ice yet, but lookin at the 15 day forecast lookks like its gonna get cold starting Christmas day. That is unless they change the forecast again. :%$#!:

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2011, 05:40 AM »
The guys pretty much hit the nail on the head with fishing in the area.  Here's a little tip for you regarding the toboggan run.  Take with wife and kids to the top and let them get their toboggan.  Jump back in the truck and drive down the the bottom and park where the run ends.  When the wife and kids come down, throw the toboggan in the back of the truck and run them back up.  Repeat as needed.  That toboggan is heavy and really starts to suck carrying back up that hill!

Steuben1

#1 ice fisssher in IN

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2011, 05:56 AM »
 PM me i fish most of this lake when ice is good.

Offline gillgetter22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:37 AM »
the fishing there is pretty good.  you can fish lake james and lake lonidaw in the state park. lake lonidaw is  more like a decent sized pond. there are nice bluegills,sunfish,and bullhead.i have also caught a few small  bass.  then connected to lake james is lake jimmerson on one direction, then the other way is snow lake and otter lake. they are all connected by channels. at snow there are lots of sunfish,rock bass,perch, and nice bullhead. in otter there are a lot of bass. i also had a northern my line of when i was fishing a brown tube. so i'm guessing there are some nice northerns. i have heard rumors about walleye in james but have never caught one. :tipup:

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:56 AM »
The guys pretty much hit the nail on the head with fishing in the area.  Here's a little tip for you regarding the toboggan run.  Take with wife and kids to the top and let them get their toboggan.  Jump back in the truck and drive down the the bottom and park where the run ends.  When the wife and kids come down, throw the toboggan in the back of the truck and run them back up.  Repeat as needed.  That toboggan is heavy and really starts to suck carrying back up that hill!

Steuben1
Been there done that. Great advice! makes for a better time for kids without huffing back up the hill!
Fish on!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:37 AM »

Steuben1

Good advice!!!!!!!!  But in my case I would make the wife drive the truck and I would be having fun with the kids!!!!!!!!! ;)

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2011, 03:15 PM »
Good advice!!!!!!!!  But in my case I would make the wife drive the truck and I would be having fun with the kids!!!!!!!!! ;)

That is EXACTLY what I was thinkin!!!

I would def wait for a drastic temp change dont even have to be this season was just woundering how the fishing was as i seen to ice addicts when I was there with the youth group. looks like it could be i great time for the whole family if i could get on any kind of fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.