New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Capital Region Thread  (Read 28098 times)

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Capital Region Thread
« Reply #210 on: Jan 25, 2012, 02:27 PM »
stop, find something else to talk about you can park where you want, we will park where we do.                just worry about you, not evveryone else, keep talkin and they will decide to ticket

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #211 on: Jan 25, 2012, 03:25 PM »
  :P   

Anyone been out this week? any luck?

Going to be heading out friday afternoon Thinking about giving ballston lake a try.  Anyone been over there yet?   I have done decent with the perch in the past. but think I am gonna try for some pike. One would think that being a pretty deep and long lake it could have the chance of holding some decent size ones.   

[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline gettinjiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #212 on: Jan 25, 2012, 03:37 PM »
     I've been on glass, synders, burden and crooked lakes this past week/end. All lakes show early ice patters from what i've seen, it's been all about thick weeds or deep water depending on what you're chasing. Heading for walleye waters late next week through the next then back to the norm..

Offline nightrunner06

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #213 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:10 PM »
Anyone know the ice conditions for LOCK 7??
FLAG!!!!!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #214 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:21 PM »
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline fishmonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #215 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:36 AM »
Anybody been fishing on Lonely? Any luck?
Meat is murder....tasty, tasty murder

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #216 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:43 AM »
ballston from what i hear doesnt just have pike, i hear it has monsters! i ice fished it last year fro my first and only time to get rid of some leftover bait and caught 3 largies out of the same hole before i was even set up. i was just out from the little bridge, left of the pier.  i probably had about 15lbs of fish. a 6lber, 5lber and a 4lber. it was fun! but i didnt get a pike. also got some small panfish out a little deeper.

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #217 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Been on lonely a few time so far  not much luck.  But really have not put much time in there.  I always do good there when you find the fish.

[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #218 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:52 AM »
ballston from what i hear doesnt just have pike, i hear it has monsters! i ice fished it last year fro my first and only time to get rid of some leftover bait and caught 3 largies out of the same hole before i was even set up. i was just out from the little bridge, left of the pier.  i probably had about 15lbs of fish. a 6lber, 5lber and a 4lber. it was fun! but i didnt get a pike. also got some small panfish out a little deeper.

I has decent luck in about the same spot you are talking of.   I want to head down the the other end where its deep.   The long walk is whats keeping me from doing it.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #219 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:53 AM »
any idea how the ice is off the path?

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #220 on: Jan 26, 2012, 10:09 AM »
yeah, definately way to long of a walk.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #221 on: Jan 26, 2012, 12:57 PM »
anybody know how crystal lake or pikes pond in averill park is? grew up in the area and thinking of giving one of them a shot this weekend

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #222 on: Jan 26, 2012, 12:59 PM »
anybody know how crystal lake or pikes pond in averill park is? grew up in the area and thinking of giving one of them a shot this weekend

I haven't been by to check them out but it they should be good to go. 

Some shorelines might be a little dicey if they are near a culvert, etc.  But overall, Rensselaer County ice is doing fine.  Bigger and deeper waters like Burden and Snyders are safe now, so Pikes should be golden.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #223 on: Jan 26, 2012, 01:06 PM »
whats in pikes besides bass???

Offline tfinn4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #224 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Has anyone been to the black river pond in cherry plain park? And if so have you had any luck at anything?

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #225 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:03 AM »
Has anyone been to the black river pond in cherry plain park? And if so have you had any luck at anything?

Ive often wondered about that place too.  I have fished below the lake's spillway a few times when around that area, but never caught anything.  Figured there would be some little trout in there?

The lake itself seems like a nice and peaceful place to spend a day, for sure.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #226 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:08 AM »
Man this weather is crazy.   Looking like 40 as far as the forcast can see.   Cold at night so the ice should hold as long as the rain stops.  I hope we get at least one more cold snap.  I know febuary and march have been know to be the coldest months.  Lets hope it holds true this year.

Offline jig_a_fish94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #227 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:43 PM »
Everyone PLEASE be CAREFUL out there!!!!! I don't need another fisherman down
FISH ON!!!

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #228 on: Jan 27, 2012, 01:11 PM »
whats in pikes besides bass???
a FEW trout,some perch,nice gills,park[about 2 cars]go almost to other side,perch,gills,jigging glo
6mm wide,16mm long[like demon, bee,willow]HAS CURRENT and dam watch ice
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #229 on: Jan 27, 2012, 01:19 PM »
thanks rat,m an idea on the condiotions in that area after this rain. was gonna tru 3rd burden tomorrow

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #230 on: Jan 27, 2012, 01:40 PM »
thanks rat,m an idea on the condiotions in that area after this rain. was gonna tru 3rd burden tomorrow

My shoreline in Rensselaer County was wide open water for about 15ft this morning.

But there were guys on the lake, so they either have a better shore access, or are using planks.

Regardless, be careful out there.  The ice looks like crap at the moment.  And not forecasted to get any better.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #231 on: Jan 29, 2012, 04:13 PM »
Roundlake..... I think I know you from a shift518 website.....can you pm so we could talk about fishing round lake together? I drive by it every morning to work and am looking for a local fishy buddy when I don't head north. Let me know I think I sold you a vehicle back in the day too

who are you? you know very well who I am given by my name and my round lake fishing record...

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #232 on: Jan 29, 2012, 04:19 PM »
there are no big notherns or tiger muskie's left in round lake, simply because everyone that  catches them, keeps them or releases them and posts about it on the internet and all the Lurkers that cant figure out how to catch their own fish, end up getting lucky and landing one.

It would be a shame to see one of the many wall mount worthy Bass, northerns or tiger muskie's that I have caught and released during open water, end up on some guys wall because he doesnt know how to take proper measurements and pictures for a replica. The big fish are still in there. They are just smarter then 98% of the people trying to catch them. ;)

release all the big catches from that lake guys or you will not continue to catch these fish year after year. It will end up like saratoga.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #233 on: Jan 29, 2012, 05:58 PM »
our crew releases all fish, even after waiting days and days on the ice to get them  to finally take a bait !

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #234 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:04 PM »
Yup, no matter how long you keep those fish pictures, they never start to stink.  ;)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #235 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:53 PM »
our crew releases all fish, even after waiting days and days on the ice to get them  to finally take a bait !

nice man. Its nice to see there are other good people out there that do catch and release on the real beauties! You gotta remember that a 40"+ toothy is a 25+ year old fish! They deserve to keep living if they have been around that long if you ask me!

Offline jig_a_fish94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #236 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:26 PM »
We did great today on round. Must have caught 3 dozen panfish ( keeping only 4 perch because they swallowed the hook). It's still a good place to go, if u know where to go :tipup: (let the big ones go  so I can keep catching them ) @) 
FISH ON!!!

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #237 on: Jan 30, 2012, 05:49 AM »
hey jig, any trouble getting on lake, i know ice is good, hows the shore ?

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #238 on: Jan 30, 2012, 06:04 AM »
i agree......replicas are the way to go this day in age....ssmokin ss, what is the record you speak of on round lake?????

Offline jig_a_fish94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #239 on: Jan 30, 2012, 06:48 AM »
hey jig, any trouble getting on lake, i know ice is good, hows the shore ?

The shore is all broken up, we brought a 10 ft plank just to be safe. When we got out there it was fine with 6.5 - 7 in of ice. Other people got on but I don't know where ( maybe the launch, I don't know didn't park there) if you go bring a plank just in case  :tipup:
FISH ON!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.