The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: This years bait trapping thread  (Read 94648 times)

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
Re: This year's bait thread...
« Reply #90 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:04 AM »
Ok, a local friend just told me something and I'd like for you folks to confirm or tell me its BS.  Im getting ready to build my first bait tank setup after spending HOURS of reading/researching.  Ive thought I had all the aspects completely planned out was ready to start work tomorrow when I heard this..... "The inside of your bait tank has to be black!  He told me fish will turn 'transparent' and lose almost all color in a white tank.  Is there any truth to this?  I only want to do this once and do it right the first time.  Looking forward to hearing back from you who have been keeping bait for years!  Thanks

yes they will lighten up in a light tank .  I notice it in my tank .  they wont get transparent , but they will get alot lighter in color .  I see it everytime i  bring in a fresh batch from the pond . the fresh ones look black in the tank next to the ones that have been in there for a while and the next day all the fish are the same color . it only takes a day or less for them to loose the color  .  I still catch fish  with this bait ,but I do wonder if I would do better with bait from a black or darker tank . Its hard to see the bait to net them out of a black tank that the only bad part I can see about a black tank.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #91 on: Dec 15, 2011, 05:20 AM »
How do you keep it from smelling?
If you don't use a filter, you will need to change the water on weekly!! That is what I do.

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #92 on: Dec 15, 2011, 05:37 AM »
If you don't use a filter, you will need to change the water on weekly!! That is what I do.
you should never do a full water change at once, half at a time. @)
How they biten

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #93 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:06 AM »
My understanding on bait changing color is that all fish have pigment cells and have the ability to change their color to better match their environment.  Hence dark water will have darker colored fish, and light colored water a more washed out lighter fish.  They also will pick up pigments from the food they are eating.  My tanks are a aqua color and I don't see them change at all.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #94 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:10 AM »
you should never do a full water change at once, half at a time. @)
I have never :-\ had a problem.  Even have done a FULL water change with Smelts with no harm done.  :)

Offline F!sh24/7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:40 AM »
any place where i can get shinners around the winslow area? thanks
No fish lake seems to follow me!

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Dec 15, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Not just the tank color makes a difference, bucket color is KEY.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:42 PM »
I have never :-\ had a problem.  Even have done a FULL water change with Smelts with no harm done.  :)
X2

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:45 PM »
here's a question... is there a "too cold" for the shiners??  last night i had the temps at 39, when i got home they're at 33.4 and i have a few shiners acting like they are "stunned" but pretty close looking to dead fish... when i put them in a bucket and let the water temp warm up a bit, they come back to life.......

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:52 PM »
I had fat heads commit suicide last year. They found there way into the pump. Only heat source there was. I would keep it around 36 and you should be fine. The colder water keeps them from eating to ,so there is less waste.
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Dec 15, 2011, 08:02 PM »
I notice my bait lighten up a little towards the end of the season in my glass aquarium. I put some pebbles in and they dont lighten up so fast, plus it gives them something to gather around.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:38 PM »
How long do you guys let your tap water dechlorinate before putting fish in?

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #102 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:48 PM »
How long do you guys let your tap water dechlorinate before putting fish in?

24 hours will do it, but I use an additive.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #103 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:50 PM »
If you have well water then just put them in.  If you have city water then just use the the Aquasafe, or CHlor out, Start Right stuff you get at Wally world or pet store that removes the chlorine from your tap water. Onces you put it in then you can just put your bait in the water.  Other wise  24hrs on city water to oxygenate the chlorine out.

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Dec 17, 2011, 09:14 PM »
Thanks. i had heard somewhere that it was a week but i couldn't believe that it would take that long

Offline allagashking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:06 PM »

Been hand jigging smelts for over twenty years keep them in dark tank ,and never change more than half the water unless u want to kill them most touchy bait out there .30 to 31 degrees just before freezing .next time at bait store ask him what bait he has greatest loss of.P S plenty of pin smelts at clearwater in industry,thats problem small, better ones at wasakeg ,dexter.
arnie may your bait allways be under the ice.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:09 PM »
Where in Dexter?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline allagashking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Dec 18, 2011, 07:03 AM »
Headed north to mooosehead thru dexter going to cross small bridge water both sides thats wasakeeg lake they smelt on left in shallow water ,you will see people sittting on buckets jigging.Rule on lake no ice shacks,only three sides,only lake i know of has that regulation

Offline allagashking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Dec 18, 2011, 07:06 AM »
P M   me if u need more info ,big smelt been good at maranakoook in winthrop.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:46 AM »
Headed north to mooosehead thru dexter going to cross small bridge water both sides thats wasakeeg lake they smelt on left in shallow water ,you will see people sittting on buckets jigging.Rule on lake no ice shacks,only three sides,only lake i know of has that regulation

Thanks AK.

Yeah thats an odd rule..

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #110 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:09 AM »
just to clear up the rule on shacks up in dexter it's no shacks with in 100yards of shore(includes portables) and no holes in the bottom. They just don't want a shanty town on the shoreline with everyone pizzing down there hole, like most spots end up beiing if they come in. Public water supply. @)
How they biten

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #111 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:12 AM »
My bait pond is screwed...

I havent got a shiner or dace since Jan 2009, just hornpout.  Dunno what happened, the pond was a bottomless pit of redfins, regular shiners, fatheads and dace. It just shut off entirely at any depth/position.

Don't feel bad! I have a nice pond that was loaded with golden's, I guess there was a complete die off last winter, I've only got frogs now. >:( I should have taken time this summer to put some more in there to get it going again but just didn't get it done.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline ChrisMinMaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:50 AM »
just to clear up the rule on shacks up in dexter it's no shacks with in 100yards of shore(includes portables) and no holes in the bottom. They just don't want a shanty town on the shoreline with everyone pizzing down there hole, like most spots end up beiing if they come in. Public water supply. @)

Glad I have a well....    :sick:

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #113 on: Dec 18, 2011, 01:39 PM »
Don't feel bad! I have a nice pond that was loaded with golden's, I guess there was a complete die off last winter, I've only got frogs now. >:( I should have taken time this summer to put some more in there to get it going again but just didn't get it done.

Well Im not alone then. LOL

Dont know what wouldve took out all the baitfish, but left the hornpout.... Puzzling. The pond is 150ft by 75ft by 10ft deep and has great flow. I need bait!

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Dec 19, 2011, 06:47 AM »

Don't suppose it could be too many people taking more than they really need ???

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #115 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:44 AM »
Well Im not alone then. LOL

Dont know what wouldve took out all the baitfish, but left the hornpout.... Puzzling. The pond is 150ft by 75ft by 10ft deep and has great flow. I need bait!
Commercial trappers?

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #116 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:10 AM »
going to try 2 new ponds this week. what do people think about the depth they like where shiners are?
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:24 AM »
Commercial trappers?

No way, its a private pond that only me and my brother have permission to use. My brother moved to Oklahoma, so I know hes not trapping them. LOL

Its also only 300 yards from my house as the crow flies, so Id know if there was anyone trucking in and out of there.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Don't suppose it could be too many people taking more than they really need ???

The only one trapping bait there is me, and it was only me and my brother for the last 10 years.

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #119 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:41 AM »
whoo whoo! I finnally found shinners! ;D  Been trapping for a month now and nothing but dace and chubs :'(
But last night got about 5 dozen shinners  overnight..   I'm excited.. ;D
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.