The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: STATE OF WISCONSIN ICE CONDITIONS  (Read 4708 times)

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
STATE OF WISCONSIN ICE CONDITIONS
« on: Dec 05, 2011, 03:56 PM »
 been to 2 lakes in the last 3 days

butternut has 2 inches ice max at shore line, thins out to 1 inch very quickly.

me and only one other has actually fished it and i deem it very unsafe. maybe end of the week should be good enough for walking.

patterson was about the same with lots of spring holes where there were less than an inch.

few spots the ice really started to "creek" so that was the end of that fishing trip. the snow has really put a kabosh on the early ice. would have been fishable by now if it hadnt snowed.   x your fingers for next weekend.

Offline THRILLBILLY608

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Rip some lips
Re: Re: STATE OF WISCONSIN ICE CONDITIONS
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Might be enough ice here be this weekend on some of the smaller lakes around tremp county gonna check them out and ill let yall know what the scoop is
heres to the heat not the type that heats our shacks and shantys but the type that burns off bras and panties

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2011, 12:54 PM »
The wind is killing some of my favorite spots right now and the forecast doesn't look any better.  Helping my uncle insulate his cottage this year so he can keep the water on and use it for ice fishing this winter.  Hopefully I can get on the ice somewhere (anywhere!) sunday morning!

Offline wifisherman4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2011, 01:23 PM »
I will be ice fishing everyday now. Started yesterday, going out later today to find some gills.  :P

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
STATE OF WISCONSIN ICE CONDITIONS
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2011, 01:41 PM »
Drove by Shawano Lake today about 10am dec 7th, east end looks froze across the lake, not much ice but we have some nice cold weather for the next couple days should make more.

Scott

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
Re: STATE OF WISCONSIN ICE CONDITIONS
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Drove by Shawano Lake today about 10am dec 7th, east end looks froze across the lake, not much ice but we have some nice cold weather for the next couple days should make more.

(Image removed from quote.)

Scott
Scott do you live by Shwano??? Im not that far away Id love to hook up with ya..
Ice fishing is Gods gift to winter...

Offline bigern02

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2011, 04:37 PM »
2 inches on small lake in Sauk Co.  Walked on it close to shore, but still open water patches scattered around the middle.  I hope the warm weather Sunday doesn't hurt too much.  I read it is supposed to get up to 40.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Got up around Laona/Crandon area, DEC 9th. Small lakes are capped with nearly 4" in most places. South of hwy 64 some lakes still have open holes.

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:15 AM »
Posted on another thread that Lower Turtle Lake Lake just outside of Turtle Lake had around 4 inches close to shore & less further out you went.    This was on the west end landing yesterday (the 9th). 

Magnor Lake had a 3 guys fishing the west side of the lake up against shore in the bays.  Don't think there was enough on the east side, but didn't check it and didn't see any spud holes where others had either.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:23 PM »
been out all weekend.

good solid 3-6 inches i have found.  although i have found some bad spots close to shore, will be checking a diff lake tomorrow but southern ashland co. is pretty good to go if you dont go TOO far out lol.  also saw a quad out on the lake today. .... .. .. idiots ><.... lol

anything with a current might be iffy yet so watch out for channels.

also heard from 2 sources that TFF. has a solid 3-5 inches in the big bays but i have not seen for my self.

lakes might get a bit slushy again with this lil heat wave coming in the next few days. but should still be fairly safe for light travel.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2011, 03:50 PM »
Raining here and highs in the mid 30's all week tell Friday it looks like should be going up to The Chetek Chain this weekend and will give you guys an update but we had 3 inches here about the middle of last week when I was out.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2011, 01:28 PM »
Just looked at Altoona at lunch time and it's still covered but the ice does not look good.   Should of had the spud with me.   There was about 4" Sunday morning.  Supposed to be 4" of good ice on Menomin according to the bait shop.

Offline gimp987

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Checking out Lake Hallie tonight after work.  Gonna just drill a hole for now.  This cold day should have helped.
I will update. 
Keep your stick on the ice!!!

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2011, 05:53 PM »
lakes up here in the north central area are great!  see'n permys and actually trucks (* dont take a truck out yet!!!!!!****(+))  and also atvs.  plenty safe for the atvs. check ice first of course. but i had a solid 7-8''s everywhere i drilled and checked.

if only the fishing was better today lol.. will be out testin the waters for the next 4 days !

Offline Dott421

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2011, 05:11 PM »
Any info on Fox Lake in Dodge Co.?

Offline bigern02

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2011, 10:17 AM »
I read some reports on another site.  They stated as of yesterday the 23rd there was about 2"- 4" of ice on Fox, Beaver Dam, Emile, and Puckaway.  Sounds like people are fishing in the area with one bait shop owner really talking up the walleye right now.  Also one man cautioned about some sketchy ice, so just watch what your doing out there.  Be safe.

Offline Flambeau Vista

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2011, 03:08 AM »
The Turtle-Flambeau Flowage has 7"-9" of ice in most areas, but some areas have as little as 4" of ice, so use caution.

www.turtleflambeauflow age.com
Scott

Offline CrappieNutJustin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2011, 06:50 PM »
i actually went through the ice yesterday on Sand Lake in Rusk County, it was only waist deep but i purposely stayed by shore in case, most the lake had 4-5 inches ice, i happened to find a weak spot, looks like im sticking to the pond by my house and marshmiller lake and glen loch flowage for a while yet!!!

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2011, 01:48 PM »
carefull on unknown lakes

heard of 3 guys going through already on spring fed lakes.

some ice is great,

but there are some lakes that are not ready for exploration yet.

Offline madzx2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:00 PM »
we've been out on pine lake in polk county a couple times this last week. seems like a solid 9".

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing with two toddlers.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:08 AM »
i actually went through the ice yesterday on Sand Lake in Rusk County, it was only waist deep but i purposely stayed by shore in case, most the lake had 4-5 inches ice, i happened to find a weak spot, looks like im sticking to the pond by my house and marshmiller lake and glen loch flowage for a while yet!!!
Wow, glad you're alright!  This weather is still being rough on the ice in the Madison area and the forcast isn't calling for anything helpful, except overnights in the 20s.  Yuck.
We'll take any nibbles we get.  Jigging mostly.

Offline Hardcharger07

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The measure of a man is how he carries himself"
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:19 PM »
first time out was the docks by skipper bud's in oshkosh, caught some decent gills, lots of small ones.... this was day before new years and new years eve.  about 5 inches then, but was staying in close.  Been out the last 3 days at Asylum Bay on Winne.... 6 to 8 inches of ice but once again, wasnt venturing out too far.  LOTS of dink perch but afew fryers... (very few) had a great time none the less.  Will try again tomorrow before work sends me out for two weeks.  after todays warm weather wonder about the ice in asylum bay....

Offline CrappieNutJustin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:49 PM »
Wow, glad you're alright!  This weather is still being rough on the ice in the Madison area and the forcast isn't calling for anything helpful, except overnights in the 20s.  Yuck.

yeah was pretty scary even tho it wasnt that deep because the lake drops off big time and i wasnt entirely sure how deep i was, and ive been really gunshy about ice since lol, the small lakes here are good but the bigger ones i havent even been on yet thx to my fiasco, glad i dont live in southern wis, id be going nuts tho i got a freind in oshkosh whos been on poygan and bago some, hes wishin he was out my way right now lol

Offline just a jiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:06 AM »
we've been out on pine lake in polk county a couple times this last week. seems like a solid 9".

Have any luck?

Offline quackattack4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:00 AM »
Been fishing up in Polk County.  Most lakes have between 7 to 12 inches of ice.  Good fishing too.

Offline Flambeau Vista

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2012, 11:33 PM »
We now have anywhere from 5"- 12" of ice on the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage.  Truck travel is still not reccomended.
Scott

Offline shawanogills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:39 AM »
Shawano Lake is looking better.  West side has about 10 inches of ice.  Some soft spots where ice shacks have been.  Saw one that was open underneath, about a five foot hole.  Use caution and common sense when out there.

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:57 PM »
We now have anywhere from 5"- 12" of ice on the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage.  Truck travel is still not reccomended.
Do you guys have a lot of snow cover on the flowage? Seems like you should have more ice that far north??

Offline madzx2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:38 PM »

Have any luck?

yea its been good the last 2 weeks, sunday we got 4 nice bass, a nice northern, and a keeper crappie.

Offline bobfromupnorth

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Born to Fish, Fish to Live, Ahh SERENITY
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2012, 02:35 PM »
  I'm up by Webster Yellow lake We've been driving p.u.s on 14" for a couple of weeks now. Fish'n has been ehhh! o.k.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.