The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: bait tank help  (Read 1502 times)

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
bait tank help
« on: Dec 03, 2011, 01:54 AM »
im interested in making a bait tank to keep the bait i didnt use one day alive til next trip. i've done some searching around on this site and found information on big systems involving 55 gallon drums and olympic pool sized filters, but what i am looking for is maybe no bigger than a 10-20 gallon fish tank size. can anybody help me out in the direction of a list of needed items? i planned on picking up a 10-20 gal fish tank set from the pet store and getting an air pump for it but i dont know what size to get, or if right out of the box a system like that would do the trick. thanks for the tips as always!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: bait tank help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2011, 03:18 AM »
Yes, a fish aquarium set up would work.  As for size.. depends on how long you are planning to keep them in it and how often you are wanting to change the water / filters.   
Bigger is normally better, But you can use a 5 gallon bucket if ya wanted to..  One of those square cat litter buckets will hold a smaller aquarium filter. 
 The "secret" to keeping bait is to keep the water as cold as possible, minimal feeding and building up the good bacteria before adding hundreds of fish. 

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2011, 03:28 AM »
that all you need is a small tank or a rubbermaid tote with  a regular waterfall filter from the pet store .  the biggest tip I can think of is to keep it in a cold area .  33-40 deg water temp is a good target .  the water needs to be as close to lake water temps as you can get . this is very important if you live close to the body of water that your fishing as the water wont have time to cool off on the trip to the lake .   Also you wont have to feed the fish if you keep them cool and the tank stays trouble free .   try to start your tank with water from a lake or pond and when fishing replace your bait bucket water with lake water to bring back home to the tank to freshen it up and you wont have to do any water changes that way.

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2011, 09:25 AM »
The max I hope the bait would set would be a week between trips. How often are the water changes usually necessary? Whenever the water goes from clear to green?

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2011, 09:47 AM »
Depends on your set up, But a general rule would be to change 1/3 of the water every 2 or 3 days.   Make sure the water is close to the same temperature as in your tank and is chlorine free..   (lake water, spring water etc.).

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2011, 09:58 AM »
I use a 10 gal aquarium, fill it with water from my bait pond and run a 10" bubble bar. Added some rocks over the bubble bar, and no feeding. I change 80% of the water out 3-4 times a winter (Dec to Mar). I keep the tank in an unheated tool room off the back of the garage, which usually is 5 degrees warmer than outside temps. If I go out there and its iced over I warm the room up a bit by leaving the door open to the inside of the garage. (or little elec heater)

If the water begins to smell like ammonia, its time to change it. Its also a good idea to syphen the turds off the bottom once in awhile with a rubber gas line.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2011, 10:27 AM »
Thanks guys! I think the only trouble I might run into is my basement not getting cold enough to keep the bait from dying once hitting the water from the lake.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2011, 10:30 AM »
Thanks guys! I think the only trouble I might run into is my basement not getting cold enough to keep the bait from dying once hitting the water from the lake.

Add a couple splashes of lake water (with some ice chips) to your bait bucket once you get the 1st hole drilled, they will get acclimated good enough.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Just set the bait bucket outside for a few hours before you plan to leave...

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2011, 12:21 PM »
If you are using an air stone you can keep the water cooler buy placing the air pump in the coldest spot possible.  If the pump is outdoors with the air line coming in through a wall or other route you will be aerating with cold outside air and chilling the water. Last summer I kept my air pump in a freezer and the water stayed cold enough to keep smelts alive until the end of June.

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2011, 12:25 PM »
Thanks again for the tips! I plan to start getting things set up this coming friday and I'll post pictures as I go!

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2011, 06:53 PM »
I definetly agree with the rubbermaid tote, they are cheap and most times you have one filled with christmas decorations anyways and they are put up now so the totes empty  ;D 
You can definetly get my with a hang on style filter from wally world,  a 30-60gal filter will run you about $40 and will do what you need it to do.   Just change out about 1/3 to 1/2 your water weekly and you'll be good to go.  As far as temp goes,  it definetly helps to have your bait cold they do tend to keep better and diseases tend to not spread as quickly.  I've kept bait at room temp before and then as I left the house i just threw some snow in the bucket with them to start chilling them down and just keep adding a little bit of snow and they were fine.   Sometimes they will go into shock and start to float and look like they are dead, but resist the urge and let them come out of it they will come out of it and start swimming again.  At least mine did 2yrs ago.

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2011, 08:58 PM »
if you are only talking 1-4 dozen, ive had good luck with just a five gallon bucket in the basement. No bubbler or anythinkg like that. I just change the water when it gets cloudly, usually every 3-4 days depending how many you got. Shiners and dace doesnt really matter much, but if you want to keep smelts an aeroator will help and temp is way more critical on them too.

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2011, 09:56 PM »
My intention is to make a bait run at the bait shop get 5 doz (medium-large shiners) and then instead of looking around to see if there are any young kids and parents enjoying their day and running low on bait and the kids wanting to go get more I hand them the difference of the 1-2 dozen I got that morning, I could save them to use next trip so I'm saving money. Don't get me wrong, I'm supporting my local bait shop 100%, its just a 9 mile run up to the bait shop and kind of doesn't make sense if I wanna fish a spot right near the house, to add 18 miles to the trip when I don't have to. But I'll still buy bait from him when I need a resupply! But you guys think just a bucket under the porch might be better for short term storage of no more than 5 doz? Does sunlight during the day and cold at night stove the shinahs up? Thanks again, just trying to make this happen without dumping too much $$$ into the project.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2011, 10:26 PM »
Understand about running to the bait shop.. my problem is that mine doesn't open til 8 am.. 
Something else that might work for you is an old cooler.  just drill a small hole in the lid or the side (above water line) to put the air line through. 

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2011, 10:54 PM »
The insulation on the cooler doesn't keep the warm in? But I did that all I would need is the air pump right? I know they have the battery operated ones but 5 batteries would kill the purpose behind the money saving.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2011, 11:00 PM »
the cooler would work just fine..  and using the lid would keep them from jumping out... 
I'd use a 120 volt air pump..  Batteries would be costly.   you can pick one up at wallmart, pet stores.. maybe even find one for free if ya ask around.  Add an air stone and you are all set...

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2011, 11:09 PM »
Wally World has the bubble bars for aquariums, thats what Ive used for 5 years.

You want to keep your chosen tank from freezing, if youve got a cellar it would be a good place to set up.

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2011, 11:26 PM »
I planned on using the cellar, I just have my oil heater down there for the house, so that I think brings in the "will it be cold enough question"

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2011, 11:35 PM »
Pick a colder corner, right on the floor.

You should be able to keep them going a week or 2 easy.

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2011, 12:24 AM »
thanks again for the tips guys...ill post pics with updates as it happens friday!

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2011, 01:26 AM »
if your worried about your bait  dieing to not being used ot the dif water temps i wouldnt worry about it manyt hings you could do.

1. leave bait out side for a few hours.
2. add snow in the bucket before you leave
3. once the lake add some lake water

but if your using a hardy bait like i used last season. it may act slow and dead for 5 minutes but after that they are fine!!!!
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2011, 04:11 AM »
  One of the fishtank waterfall style filers is only going to cost around 15 bucks .  the waterfall action adds the air to the tank so you wont need an air stone .  they use a combo of carbon filters  and a bio mesh screen filter .  you may have to change the carbon filter like once a month  the bio mesh you dont change .   so total expenses for a season will be like 30 bucks .  thats way better then giving away $10 worth of bait every trip .

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2011, 08:00 AM »
Last year I bought 6 dozen goldens and 12 suckers in December and I still had the same bait until my pond unfroze in April. I kept them in 2 20gal fish tanks with air pumps only in them. Fed them once a week and changed the water at least once a week. This year I have picked up some 55 gal drums and I'm making a home made filter out of a 5 gal bucket and making it a cascaded system for 3 tanks!good luck on the bait!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.