Author Topic: Mousies  (Read 2729 times)

Offline gillgetter22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mousies
« on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:28 PM »
can what to use them with? and what they have caught on them

Offline gillgetter22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mousies
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:30 PM »
what i meant to say was can anyone tell what to use them with, and what they have caught on them? :tipup:

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:35 PM »
Bluegill, crappie, pumpkinseed, rockbass, bass etc...I tip them on horizonal jigs or 45Degree jigs. Really anything will work.  :icefish:
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline RynoIceMan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:35 PM »
use them on any of your jigs....i have caught many bluegill crappie perch and bass using them....they are my #1 ice bait.
Didnt catch a damn thing! Guess you can say we took a lickn'
Tonights fish fry is gonna taste like chicken!
A Bad Day of Fishin' Beats a Good Day of Anything Else

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:37 PM »
they were my #1 bait live anyways... look into maki plastics they make a great mousie,

Offline gillgetter22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:37 PM »
I didn't get a chance to use them last season but i will definetly buy some this season ;D :tipup:

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:38 PM »
  Good bait, hard to find ,I bite the tails off as have watched thru shanty they pull on the tails.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:41 PM »
  Good bait, hard to find ,I bite the tails off as have watched thru shanty they pull on the tails.
YUMMIE ???

Offline gillgetter22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:42 PM »
they were my #1 bait live anyways... look into maki plastics they make a great mousie,
what is it called

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:47 PM »
what is it called

MOUSIE

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:03 PM »
Can't wait to use them with almost all of my jigs. They have caught perch, panfish, bass, smelt, and pike. I used to be extremely fond of them until the shortage the past few years. Now I have grown fond of spikes...cheaper, you get more, and the do the exact same thong as mousies.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:15 PM »

You realize alot of mousies are collected from Cow Manure pits?  I don't think I would be putting them in my mouth or biting on them!  :sick:

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:19 PM »
  I dont eat them, just spit the tail out, Pull up your skirt

Offline gillin1026

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:24 PM »
i have tried mousies a few times and it seems that spikes do better for me anyway.
have fun, fish hard and be safe

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:27 PM »
:roflmao:  :flex:

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:29 PM »
Mousies cost too much if at all available, spikes for me it is.
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:31 PM »

Lmao....to each their own.....if you want to bite down on cow crap go ahead...just thought I would put it out there where alot of mousies are collected from.  Never had a problem with gills or perch just pecking the tails even when sight fishing with mousies.  If you hook them right and don't kill them, the movement of the tail is often what triggers a bite.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Lmao....to each their own.....if you want to bite down on cow crap go ahead...just thought I would put it out there where alot of mousies are collected from.  Never had a problem with gills or perch just pecking the tails even when sight fishing with mousies.  If you hook them right and don't kill them, the movement of the tail is often what triggers a bite.
If you dont mind, how are you hooking them? I usually just center stab em, but always looking for ideas

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2011, 09:04 PM »
If you dont mind, how are you hooking them? I usually just center stab em, but always looking for ideas

Hard to describe.....but basically just skin hook them.  If you look at a mousie you can see thru the skin and you will see the white and grey 'stuff' on the inside.  I try to avoid running the hook thru any of that 'stuff'.  If you do puncture that stuff it tends to 'pop' like a balloon and all the good stuff on the inside comes out on the first drop.  A smaller, thin wire hook helps with skin hooking them, but even then I rupture some when hooking them.  Same thing with spikes..find the end with 2 dots on it and skin hook them there and they will stay alive a long time on the hook and wiggle all over the place down there.

Offline Ice_Fly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:17 AM »
I have tried mousies in the past and seem to have just as good or better luck using spikes.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2011, 11:28 AM »
red and white spikes work better 99% of the time.

Offline Ice Sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I would have waited.......
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2011, 01:46 PM »
After last year, I don't think I will buy anything but white spikes and plastics this year.  Don't think I caught a single fish with either red spikes or mousies.

Offline jdm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2011, 03:08 PM »
I prefer mousies, but spikes are a lot tougher bait. In a biting frenzy, I can get several gills on a spike without rebaiting. Mousies can almost be a 1 for 1 exchange with gills.

Offline gillgetter22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2011, 03:24 PM »
i caught fish on spikes too. i want to try a variety of baits. :tipup:

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2011, 04:47 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but just what IS a spike? If I go into a bait shop and ask for them, will they know what I'm asking for ??? Is it regional and there is another name for them? I've seen plastic  ones and I think GULP makes something like that, but I'm not sure. Same with mousies. Are they grubs? Please educate this old guy, because I'm and old diehard minnow soaker and wan't to expand my horizons. Dang, that's why I joined this site in the first place!! This site probably has about a million years ice fishing experience combined!! I'm an empty cup, please fill with knowledge   :bow: Thanks in advance  ;D
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2011, 04:56 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but just what IS a spike? If I go into a bait shop and ask for them, will they know what I'm asking for ??? Is it regional and there is another name for them? I've seen plastic  ones and I think GULP makes something like that, but I'm not sure. Same with mousies. Are they grubs? Please educate this old guy, because I'm and old diehard minnow soaker and wan't to expand my horizons. Dang, that's why I joined this site in the first place!! This site probably has about a million years ice fishing experience combined!! I'm an empty cup, please fill with knowledge   :bow: Thanks in advance  ;D

its a smaller version of a beemoth...fly larva.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:05 PM »
You mean they are maggots, right  ??? A mousie is a maggot with a tail, and a spike is a "regular" maggot, correct? :woot:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline hoosier-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:23 PM »
Love the mousies. Put them on anything. I've caught perch, crappie, gills and bass with them :o

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:35 PM »
You mean they are maggots, right  ??? A mousie is a maggot with a tail, and a spike is a "regular" maggot, correct? :woot:
A mousie is a maggot of sorts.  It is the larvae of the drone fly.  The "tail" is actually a tube they breathe through when they are buried in manure.
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline chillinNgillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:52 PM »
They are good for any pan fish when I use them I give them a gentle squeeze till the white stuff just starts to come out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.