Author Topic: Vacation in the Springs  (Read 1446 times)

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
Vacation in the Springs
« on: Nov 16, 2011, 08:35 PM »
I will be headed to CS for about a week around Christmas.  Visiting family and blah blah blah.  I was thinking of bringing the hard water gear, wanted to see what the locals have to say.  Any suggestions on where to go? I will be near Constitution and Powers.

Offline CO_ICE_POSSE

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Vacation in the Springs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:10 PM »
Fairly new to fishing in colorado, but sat on hard water for 40+ years in midwest b4 landing here. Closest water is Monument - NorthWest of your crossroads 15 mins - small to medium cutbows and rainbows, occasional bass, some northern

From there it's off to the many reservoirs in the area - pueblo, eleven mile, antero, etc

Offline Husker95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:44 PM »
I live in Colorado Springs area.  First off, why would anyone leave NE to come here?  JK - i love both states.

If its a hard winter by then, you could head north to Denver metro area (Chatfield, Cherry Creek, Aurora maybe Barr Lake).  All of these have nice rainbows, walleyes, perch, etc.  Those would be about an hour and some change drive.

If you head west into the mountains, your first money bet is 11 mile - about an hour and 20 mins away.  Great rainbow fishing and good piking.  From that general vicinity you can continue west another half hour and hit Antero for great rainbow fishing and a chance at a monster.  You could also either go a little South to Skaguay or a little North to Tarryall.  Both of these are smaller lakes with lots of smaller trout but chances at big pike.  All these areas are readily doable for day-trips from the springs.  Pueblo is really below the ice-line and unless we have a biblical, appocalypse of a winter, you could just forget it for hard-water.

Let me know if you want more intel and i can go offline and give you some tackle/technique tips.

Husker95

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2011, 10:55 PM »
I live in Colorado Springs area.  First off, why would anyone leave NE to come here?  JK - i love both states.

If its a hard winter by then, you could head north to Denver metro area (Chatfield, Cherry Creek, Aurora maybe Barr Lake).  All of these have nice rainbows, walleyes, perch, etc.  Those would be about an hour and some change drive.

If you head west into the mountains, your first money bet is 11 mile - about an hour and 20 mins away.  Great rainbow fishing and good piking.  From that general vicinity you can continue west another half hour and hit Antero for great rainbow fishing and a chance at a monster.  You could also either go a little South to Skaguay or a little North to Tarryall.  Both of these are smaller lakes with lots of smaller trout but chances at big pike.  All these areas are readily doable for day-trips from the springs.  Pueblo is really below the ice-line and unless we have a biblical, appocalypse of a winter, you could just forget it for hard-water.

Let me know if you want more intel and i can go offline and give you some tackle/technique tips.

Husker95

Why would anyone leave Nebraska to come to Colorado?  Do you really want to start that list?  I could give reasons until I'm dead.  I grew up in the Springs until I was 12, seeing the mountains everyday, no humidity, water clarity to see more than 6" deep.  I'm trying to talk my wife into moving out there.  Maybe she'd take me with her HAHA.  Anyway, thanks for the quick replies.  Can I expect to be able to walk on Monument by Christmas?  I don't really know the season there.  I just want to catch some trout.  I can catch all the rest here at home.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2011, 05:26 PM »
If trout numbers are what you're after try either Tarryall or Skaguay.  Both are very productive for mostly stocked trout.  Best bet for larger trout will be Antero if you can squeeze yourself in with the crowd.  11 Mile can be great but is an awful fickle mistress. 

Offline Booppr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Antero is my favorite lake here. If you would like shoot me a pm and we can hook up when you come out. I'm not a guide, just looking to meet some new people who love the hard water!

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2011, 05:06 PM »
We have alot of family stuff going on while I'm out there, that will leave me with about 6 hours of fishing on one day.  So the shorter the drive the better.  Antero looks like it may be too far and Monument may be my best bet.  I would love to get up in the mountains but I don't think I'll have the time.  Is monument usually froze up by Christmas?

Offline fischer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2011, 06:32 PM »
I did some searching on another site, coloradofisherman.com. There has been good ice (several to 10") by Christmas in past years. You might check in as it gets closer to Christmas since warm spells do occur.

Offline CO_ICE_POSSE

• IceShanty Rookie
Vacation in Springs / Monument Lake
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2011, 10:03 PM »
Was glad to see a sheen of thin ice formed on the western shore as of 5 days ago - spoke with locals there & it's been solid by Christmas in the past - just depends

Temps have been 40-60's by day and teens into 20s by night

I'm 20 mins away & drop by Mon. Lake every week to tempt trout with a fly line
& clear the office cob webs  - stay in touch

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2011, 09:34 AM »
Thanks alot for the reports, it sounds promising.  I'll check back in with you guys in mid December. 

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:50 PM »
I'm bumping this thread since I'll be driving out there tomorrow.  Any fishable ice within an hour of the springs?  Monument?

Offline Chadfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sure, they were biting here yesterday? :(
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:30 PM »
I fished Monument from about 9-1 today. Fished along the dam. The ice averaged about 6". There were several other groups out on the lake, spread all over. Onlly caught 5 or 6 trout today, but did catch about 10-12 small blue gill and sunfish, and a couple small perch.

This is a post from another forum. Post was dated 12-17. Hope this helps.
There's time to sleep when your dead....let's go fishin'!!!!

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:33 PM »
I have heard there is 5 inches of clear ice with a couple of inches cloudy ice on top. Should be good to go. Be safe.

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:30 PM »
That is fantastic news!  I can't wait to get out there and hopefully catch my first trout through the ice.  What should I use for bait?  Are waxies a good choice for trout? 

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:59 PM »
Those berkley power tubes work great. Tip them with a wax worm or salmon egg. Good luck.

Offline huntnfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2011, 09:40 AM »
JAM3S
You should get into fish at Monument. Last weekend any small greenish glow jigs tip with waxies were working.  But if you head up to Chatfield, southwest denver area along 470, and fish the ponds in back, I got into alot of perch and gills using the same thing.

Good Luck

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2011, 10:01 AM »
Thanks guys!  We pulled in about 7:30 last night and are staying at the Academy hotel, that puts me 20 minutes away from Monument.  We're headed out there this morning to check it out then head back tomorrow morning for fishing.  Stopping at Walmart this morning too for waxies and permits.

Offline Chadfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sure, they were biting here yesterday? :(
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:15 PM »
Good luck and let us know how you do! I'll be drinking w/ the inlaws and wishin I was Fishin'!
There's time to sleep when your dead....let's go fishin'!!!!

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:30 AM »
My step dad and I got out on Monument saturday morning.  We hit the ice just before sunrise with no luck until the sun came up.  Caught a few rainbow, some bluegill, endless 4" perch, and a 16"ish channel cat.  The bite just about disappeared by 9 when the crowd showed up.  I got what I came for though - catch a trout through the ice.  Thanks for the advise everybody and good luck this season!

Offline huntnfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2011, 07:37 AM »
Congrat's. Glad you caught some fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.