Author Topic: Home built power pack for portable  (Read 5214 times)

Offline giggity

• IceShanty Rookie
Home built power pack for portable
« on: Nov 15, 2011, 09:49 PM »
Here are a few pictures of the power pack I just built. It has a CD player/Radio with a usb for an Ipod and a 12-volt cigarette lighter receptacle. I left room for more toggle switches, and plan on adding some sort of plugs on the sides for the lights in my pop up to plug into. Still need to mount something to the bottom to get it off the ground an inch or so because of the cd player being so close to the bottom. This is all powered by a 35 AH deep cycle battery. You could basically power anything that runs on 12v with this thing. The battery has about twice the capacity of your average power pack/jumper pack. If anyone has any ideas of anything else I can stick into this thing, let me know.

There is no substitute for union craftsmanship.

Offline jurrensb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Home built power pack for portable
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2011, 10:00 PM »
Microwave?  Pizza Oven? 

Looks good, but have a qustion.  Why did you mount the radio so low on the box?
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2011, 10:24 PM »
Microwave?  Pizza Oven? 

Looks good, but have a qustion.  Why did you mount the radio so low on the box?
So when its sitting on the shelf he dont have to get a step stool to change the cd

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2011, 06:49 AM »
cool set-up!   needs an IS sticker!LOL

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Pretty cool idea. Would a rechargeable 12 volt battery work? A smaller one for a atv or one similiar to Vexilars battery pack? It would just make it lighter ya know. If I were to add anything to your rig it would be a station on top to put the flasher/camera and I would have used a tool box with a couble of trays for stashing tackle!! Cool idea, I was thinking of something similiar that would also serve as a small table for the portable shack!
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:36 AM »
awesome !! love the idea ^^ a nice spot for the XM would be killer! you just gave me some nice ideas!

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:40 AM »
nice lookin rig! i was thinking about doing something on the same line..

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:49 AM »
That's a sweet setup Giggity! Nice engineering. Compact, Portable. Nicely done!

Offline little bear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:55 AM »
Great setup, how long will it last before it needs a recharge.

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:02 AM »
Very nice !
---- Joe ----

Offline Homemade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2011, 03:21 PM »
Very cool giggity, thats right up my alley. How about a portable dvd player mounted either inside the the open lid or laid on top of the lid when its closed. You could run the audio through the stereos Aux input (if so equipped). 

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2011, 03:34 PM »
I'd look to add an inverter.  A nice 600-800 watt inverter would be kick a$$.  Great build!!

Offline giggity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Thx everyone for the compliments. The whole reason I mounted the CD player so low was to get under the speakers. I think I'm going to add little rubber feet to the bottom to get if off the ground and inch or so. Had to put the battery as close to center as possible, otherwise all the weight on one side would make it lean really bad while carrying it by the handle. Its all pretty balanced now. As far as batteries go, anything that is 12v will work fine. I read some people carry a deep cycle marine battery out with them. Those things would last forever, but their about twice the weight as this one. The battery in my motorcycle was just a 7Ah non deep cycle. It would basically only last about an hour with all this stuff in it. I'm hoping this battery will go 8 straight hours before needing a charge. If it does need a charge while your out on the ice, you could charge it off your vehicle, being 12v and all. The satellite radio would be nice, and a little portable TV/DVD player to watch the game on would also be pretty cool. Pretty much anything with a cigarette adapter could run on this thing.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2011, 05:07 PM »
Very sano set-up Giggity.
It appears to me the battery is unventilated and totally sealed. Is that true?

If not, all is not lost.  Awaiting your reply to the question.

Offline giggity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2011, 05:46 PM »
Sorry idahogator, but do you mean is the toolbox sealed or is the battery a sealed battery? It is a sealed battery , but the case is no longed sealed because of all the holes cut into the front of it. Do you think this toolbox might need more ventilation???

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Good job Giggity. The sealed battery is the way to go.
Just trying to save your electronics from corrosive disaster, especially the tape unit and any exposed copper from the Green Plague.

Next question: Did the battery come with a charger?

Offline giggity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Here is a link to the battery that I used.http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/45886-WKDC12--35J-12V-35Ah-Werker-Deep-Cycle-AGM-Battery/100085-1/102629-SLA-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Batteries/102645-Werker/12V.aspxIt did'nt come with a charger, but I already have a battery tender junior that I use for my dirtbike. That thing came with 2 different leads, one of them I made permanent for the bike, so that when I park it I can just plug it in. The other leads are the jumpercable style that you can hook up to the posts and plug in.

Offline jurrensb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2011, 08:24 PM »
I didn't know if it was low because you had to support the back of the radio or not.  I might actually build one of these myself. 

As for venting, maybe the heat from the radio might help keep the battery warmer so it lasts a little longer?? So maybe no venting??
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2011, 08:31 PM »
solar charger plugged into power port might give you ALITTLE extra time?

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2011, 08:43 PM »
You know what would make it last longer is if you insulated the inside of the box.

Offline giggity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Alot of good ideas here. If anyone decides to do this, don't do what I did the first time around and buy a stainless steel toolbox. I thought it was a great box being so durable and small for less than 20 dollars. Worked great till i was messin around with it and broke back of the switch off. When I went to look at it, the wires on the back of the switch touched the box and fried my old CD player. Don't know why it happend because I have everything fused and the CD player itself has a fuse. Was supposed to be a budget build with an old CD player and speakers but live and learn. I like the new CD player anyways because of the usb port.

Offline jurrensb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:13 PM »
Oh man, but the metal one looks so cool  :)

Is the radio reception good from the radio or do you think you would need an antennae?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:15 PM »
Here is a link to the battery that I used.http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/45886-WKDC12--35J-12V-35Ah-Werker-Deep-Cycle-AGM-Battery/100085-1/102629-SLA-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Batteries/102645-Werker/12V.aspxIt did'nt come with a charger, but I already have a battery tender junior that I use for my dirtbike. That thing came with 2 different leads, one of them I made permanent for the bike, so that when I park it I can just plug it in. The other leads are the jumpercable style that you can hook up to the posts and plug in.

That'll be the wrong way to go with a deep cycle battery, as they require higher finishing voltage that, to best of my knowledge, cannot be supplied by a small tender or automotive style charger.
I'm trying to save your battery disappointment so you can use that on the one that you loose at the hole, ha.

Usually, a deep cycle charger is required to reach about 17.25 VDC to fully charge and clean-up the plates at each charge and get the full life from these. Hope this fits your budget.  Most batterys, but not all, come with a pamphlet with a recommended charging rate and type of charger needed. Did yours?
I traced the mfg of the battery to East Penn Mfg., but they only say they make Deka and don't acknowledge Werker. Goggle is also at a loss.
I'm not abandoning you.
Yet.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:18 PM »
Just scored a cd player outta the daughters truck. Thanks for the ideas. Mind if I copy you?

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:29 PM »
Bet she'll be surprised tomarrow morning.  Seriously though, my dad used to build similar boxes for stereo and CB for the semi he drove(not his)
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2011, 05:16 AM »
Great idea!  I think I may have to try to put one together.  I have a couple extra plastic boxes, not sure what else I have lying around.  I think it's amazing what some people can come up with.

Offline giggity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 20, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Today I got a chance to mount a couple led lights to the top of it. Their a little more directional than I would have liked, but they should work great for chargin my jigs.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #27 on: Nov 20, 2011, 09:52 PM »
This remains to be a nice set-up Giggity.

Have you decided on a proper way to maintain your battery?

Was my reply # 22, above confusing, or are you among the "Throw-Away" society?

Are those lights ultra violet to really make your jigs glow?

I wish you a good, fun season. Later   

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:45 AM »
Looking better an better keep up the good work

Offline D-monster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2011, 09:01 AM »
If you feel you may need a little more power .. it looks to me like you have room for another battery in your box.  just wire them in parallel .. pos to pos neg to neg ... and you will be able to pull more amps from them .. thus expanding the run time of your lights, cd and all the other stuff.  Have you thought of putting a cig. lighter plug on the box so yuou could run peripherals ... like a fan .. or maybe even your vex or camera?

nice job tho ... excellent ideas ..

d-mo
Its never too late to have a happy childhood.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.