The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 6" or 7" Strike Master?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
6" or 7" Strike Master?
« on: Nov 08, 2011, 04:52 PM »
I want to buy a 6" or 7" Strike Master gas auger, my buddy has an 8" and "I" think it's to big, sometimes scaring fish away in shallow water. So I'm debating which to get??? what do you guys think? Any of you have one? Thank's for your opinion...
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline gillcraze

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drill em n kill em
Re: 6" or 7" Strike Master?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2011, 04:58 PM »
six inch makes it exponentially easier to drill however it does seem sort of small. And would be a tight squeeze for a large pike or lake trout.
drill em n kill em

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2011, 04:58 PM »
Since your in the midwest ill say get the loudest most obnoxious power auger money can buy  ;D...but in all seriousness I use a 5" hand auger and regardless of what ppl say I've never had any trouble getting a fish out of the hole...go 6" it'll drill faster and will probably weigh less

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2011, 05:01 PM »
what do you fish for? I have no problem pulling crappie and gills though a 6" and 5" hole, granted I dont catch monsters but I havent had one not fit yet. I say if you have a vexilar or a flasher with a float, to get the  7" just so you have the extra room.. but if you do not have a flasher or you have one that hangs instead of floats, the 6" will be great... I would get the 7" just to have more room in case you catch a walleye or big bass, only reason I use 5" and 6" is because I drill by hand.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2011, 06:10 PM »
I have a 5" lazer hand auger for early ice and a 8" strikemaster gas  auger for later.  Most people try to decide between a 8 or 10" for putting their electronics down the hole.   You'll have to decide what you may add in the future but any hole will work.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2011, 06:21 PM »
I have a 6" drill for my Jiffy. I also have a 9" drill but I have been only using the 6" auger for the past 3 or 4 seasons. You can get a pretty big fish up a 6" hole. If you get into some bigger fish (not panfish) on regular basis go with the 7". If your exclusively a panfish guy the 6" will be more than fine. I'm use to fishing small holes.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2011, 06:28 PM »
I started with a 10" and is too large for 95 percent of the fishing I do, went to a 6" and was fine for 70 percent of the fishing I do. I just purchased an 8" auger and will use it 90 percent of the time, I will use the 6" for early ice until the ice gets a foot or so thick then I will use the 8" the rest of the year. I may put the 10" blade on for whitefish up on the bay of green bay but with my flip over shack the hole is just way to big and its easy to lose things down it. Like one trip last year when my phone and Ipod went for a swim, the good part of that was the flash from the shiny couple week old Ipod attracted some whitefish to my hole.  ;D I would go with the 7", the slightly larger hole is nice when the ice thickness is over 18"

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2011, 06:44 PM »
I have always gone with the idea that the smaller augers are perfect hand augers, but if you are spending the cash on a gau auger why not go big? an 8 is the perfect size for a gas auger

Offline Eggemoggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy - Fishy
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2011, 06:51 PM »
I have a 8" & 10" Strike Master.....     Both work good for me.....

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the lines tight and the flags high.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2011, 07:07 PM »
i have a 6" lazer hand auger.   I've pulled everything from the smallest panfish, to 4lb+ Pickerel, and once 5lb bass outta it.   bass took up the whole hole, but he came through with ease.   If i did step up i would look for a 9" bit, largest my polars will allow without using the foam as a float.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2011, 07:22 PM »
All I use is an 8", never noticed the size of a hole spooking fish.... we fish shallow ultra clear water to....short of lakers most fish will fit through an 8" hole....

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2011, 07:47 PM »
cool vid on fish spooking

Blake from Elbow

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:12 PM »
I've been playing with power augers since 1965 (the first gas powered auger here in W-Mass)..
We were fishing for Northerns in VT way before it was fashionable.
I've owned them all. For a power auger today buy a Strikemaster Strike-Lite 4 stroke.
If you really don't want a 8" hole, buy a Strikemaster Lazer 7" hand auger and the best Lithion-Ion Hammer-Drill.
Bosch Brute 36volt or Milwaukee #0726-22 28volt hammer drill. You'll also need a adapter to hold the auger bit.
If you're not quite a macho-man you'll run out of gas before the drill will.
I charge the 2 batteries during the week, put the drill in a good insulated bag along with 2 heat packs and head out.
20 holes thru 18" of ice and I'm spent. I haven't ever yet needed the 2nd battery.
The other option is a Nils 6" auger, with the proper adapter. The Nils is about 10% faster cutting but needs extreme care as the
cutting edge is very sensitive. The Nils is twice the price for the auger bit/adapter and resharpening is only done by GOD and 2
shops located @ remote locations.
Goo Ruck....
Damn Yankee
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2011, 07:46 AM »
Thanx for the feedback guys, I guess I should have mentioned that I mostly fish for panfish and pike, but do want to go after Browns and Steelhead this year. I do have a 5" & 6" lazer's w/ a 18V Dewalt and bought a 36V Bosch which I used the last two weeks of last season. I use a LX5 so no float for me. I was just thinking of going smaller since my buddy already has the 8". In the area I fish- fish do get spooked over those big hole's some guys make. Not the noise but over the size of the hole. Thank you all for the good feedback.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:02 AM »
I use a 10" hole. I like the extra space for sight fishing in shallow water or getting a big pike or walleye up the hole, alittle extra space never hurts me!!

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:18 AM »
a gas auger is a gas auger. still gonna make noise. your last post indicates that you realize this. if it's the size or the amt of light that you think is the issue, try using those foam hole covers. blocks out the light and helps to keep the hole from freezing over AND you got  a bigger hole to pull the fish thru.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:31 PM »
I use a 10" hole. I like the extra space for sight fishing in shallow water or getting a big pike or walleye up the hole, alittle extra space never hurts me!!

10" hole for walleye,  thats some big eye.
Blake from Elbow

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2011, 07:52 AM »
ive fit a 13 pound laker through my 7 inch hole!. but i lost a bigger one on the king lastyear perchin with a 6 inch. so 7 is the miniumum i will use.

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2011, 07:58 AM »
10" hole for walleye,  thats some big eye.

;D never said they were big.

i also sight fish, in shallow water. The big hole helps see more :tipup:

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:00 AM »
quote from my old lady "an extra 2 or 4 inches will never hurt anyone ha ha".  I have been using a 6" mora for the last couple seasons and often I have trouble getting the head in the hole.  it seems it always gets under the ice sideways on me .  So last year I bought a 8" lazer hand auger its a beast to drill hole withs but the bigger hole is nicer.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2011, 10:01 AM »
I purchased the 7" Strikemaster Electra last year ....... perfect size in my opinion. Sold my gas auger with an 8' a few weeks before.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2011, 06:04 PM »
I have an 8" Mora and it IS a bear to drill with!!!   So 6" hand & 8" gas!! My $.02 worth!!   :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.