Author Topic: Shanty String Lights  (Read 6469 times)

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Shanty String Lights
« on: Nov 03, 2011, 05:02 AM »
Since I'm home with a bum left ankle., (sprained it Sunday Oct 30), I'm going stir crazy. Have spent hours sofar at various ice fishing websites, videos, manufacturers, etc.  Needless to say, it's been lots of fun and really getting me pumped of the upcoming season.

Thinking about adding some LED lights to the Clam Nanook. (But I'm an electrical challenged guy.  I havent a clue of where to start, what to buy, what not to buy and how to hook them up).

Any comments, suggestions, insights, experiences, & directions and purchase sites would be appreciated. (Photo's would help too).
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shanty String Lights
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2011, 05:22 AM »
Just buy some led AAA, AA C or D cell lights! No need to wire them to a 12 volt battery, less wieght and like many led lights they dont take much wattage!
Do you do alot of night fishing or is it more less for the early morning because if you do fish over night then you might need more batteries or a bigger battery like a deep cell!
Better yet bring a long extention cord with ya...LOL, JK! ;)

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2011, 10:34 AM »
I just got done rigging some LED lights up in my Clam Kenai fish trap and it looks awesome. I bought some waterproof LED lights off ebay (5 meters worth) and they are very bright. Took me an hour to install and mount everything. No more hauling around a coleman latern for lighting. I will post pictures and how I did it once I get off work.

Offline eaglejac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • age 50+ avid fisherman freshwater and salt
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Frabill has some great LEDs that velcro on and adjustable beams , buy 4 and you can use them in the summer..

Offline rks-icer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2011, 07:47 PM »
I bought some led light strings off of Ebay. I hook them to the same battery I run my fish finder off of. Two strings lights up my 6 x 6 popup pretty well.

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Here are a few pictures I took of my LED install in my one man flip over. I bought the waterproof LED lights off ebay for around $18. They come with a adhesive backing on them so they stick to the poles really well. I mounted a row above my head, another row in front of the door and also another row under my seat (so it lights up the ground). I secured them with a few zip ties as you can see this in the pictures. I wired them up with some basic speaker wire I had laying around the house. The LED's are powered by a 12v 7ah battery as you can also see in the picture. I mounted a battery bracket on the inside of the sled for convenience purposes and so it was out of the way of everything. I was impressed by house much light they spit out. Like I said before... no more having to lug around a coleman lantern anymore. Hope this gives you an idea of how to mount some LED's. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2011, 04:50 AM »
Thanks for the ideas & tips.... and the pics too jho
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2011, 06:41 PM »
I put mine on the side bars instead of feet, because I hate fishing with my legs spread way out.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2011, 06:52 PM »
jho,  Not firmilar with the String lights/ LED, do they get hot?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2011, 07:05 PM »
jho,  Not firmilar with the String lights/ LED, do they get hot?
LED lights barely get warm to the touch and they are unbelievably effeicient.  A 50 watt halogen bulb can be replaced by a 7 watt LED bulb and they will produce about the same amount of light.  That's about 7 times less power for the same amount of light.  They are the only lights I would use off of a battery now.  Oh and they will probably never burn out in your lifetime either.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Got mine from here: http://www.noveltylights.com/White-Custom-LED-Rope-Lights-Low-Voltage.html

A little pricey but will last a lifetime and super bright. I have 3 - 7' sections permanentley attached to the support poles of my 4 X 7 fold-out using zip-type cable ties. They will run off any 12 volt battery. One of the best investments I've made as far as ice fishin' stuff.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Its got me thinking, thanks...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2011, 11:38 PM »
LED lights barely get warm to the touch and they are unbelievably effeicient.  A 50 watt halogen bulb can be replaced by a 7 watt LED bulb and they will produce about the same amount of light.  That's about 7 times less power for the same amount of light.  They are the only lights I would use off of a battery now.  Oh and they will probably never burn out in your lifetime either.

No, they don't get hot at all like Lifeguard said. Here is the same type of LED's I bought off ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cool-White-5M-Waterproof-300-LED-3528-SMD-Flexible-LED-Light-Lamp-Strip-/180749809279?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1587367f

These LED's are super thin compared to any LED rope light so they can be hidden pretty well anywhere in the shack. I'm pretty impressed with the outcome of the LED's.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2011, 06:23 AM »
No, they don't get hot at all like Lifeguard said. Here is the same type of LED's I bought off ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cool-White-5M-Waterproof-300-LED-3528-SMD-Flexible-LED-Light-Lamp-Strip-/180749809279?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1587367f

These LED's are super thin compared to any LED rope light so they can be hidden pretty well anywhere in the shack. I'm pretty impressed with the outcome of the LED's.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?............. ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2011, 03:53 PM »
Now your thinking! Is that the Clam battery bracket? I'm thinking about getting one.
Fish on!

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2011, 02:16 PM »
I found these at www.ledshoppe.com

LED Strip Lights (12", 24", 36", 48" Lengths)
http://www.ledshoppe.com/ledstrip.htm

Car Lights (These are amber in color only)
http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/car/AA1024.htm

LED Decoration Light
http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/car/AA1012.htm
jbird68

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Well Ill be jumped up George...........lol

Ive been debating this, now Im doing it.

Great Post, thanks!
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2011, 10:24 PM »
jho how long is battery life?

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2011, 10:28 PM »
Do you have to put fuses in your wiring? or just wire it directly to the battery?
jbird68

Trooper Bri

« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2011, 11:10 PM »
I'd put a 5 or 10 amp fuse in the circuit as cheap insurance. Get a rub somewhere and the wires touch or short, and the fuse will pop before the battery does.

www.oznium.com is a cool site for LED products.

Offline flyfisherman83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2011, 02:08 AM »
Just ordered some today can't wait to try them out

Offline limitingout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2011, 05:35 AM »
Im going to use aa battery powered led domelights intended for truck caps super bright and they were free.

Offline eye_slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Tight Lines and Cold beer
« Reply #22 on: Sep 28, 2012, 09:50 AM »
I found 12v led light bars at fleet farm that work great super bright and long battery life

http://www.fleetfarm.com/mff/detail/peterson-great-white-led-utility-accent-light-v388c/0000000080264

Offline zip7111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Sep 30, 2012, 03:17 PM »
There was a post about lights a month or so ago.  I cant seem to find it with the website.  They had white and colored lights in different lengths.  Any help would be appreciated.  Pretty sure ot was in the general section.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 03, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Try ozium.com  Different sizes and colors and are waterproof and have adhesive backing.I have several of their lights on and in the box I have on the back of my quad.  The outside lights have been through several downpours this past summer while riding trails and have yet to fail or come off.  The two inside lights lite up the interior extremely well.  I will be putting Oziums  lights inside my Yukon this winter. 
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #25 on: Oct 03, 2012, 04:51 PM »
I have a string of battery operated xmas lights (3 AA) wire tied in a bunch to the top of my clam pro, and that's all I need for light.When I fold up they just go into the tub waiting to be used again

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 28, 2012, 11:32 AM »
I got mine from besthongkong.com. I bought 1 strip and went to buy one more and couldn't find the same one I have. So i have been looking around at some of the sites people have been putting up and they have alot more options now.
Fish on!

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
jbird68

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 12, 2012, 08:51 AM »
I got red and white ones and learned that fishing isn't that good in dark so I don't drag them out.
A lantern will put out heat and light and who doesn't like heat?
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 12, 2012, 01:09 PM »
Amazon has a decent selection, thats where I plan on getting mine from.  Just gotta find the time.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.