Author Topic: Vicious fishing line!!!  (Read 2250 times)

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
Vicious fishing line!!!
« on: Oct 27, 2011, 07:23 PM »
 >:(

anyone ever try this stuff?

this summer i bought a spool of 6lb. heard from a friend it was pretty good for the price. well it sucked. ended up coiling up real bad, jumpin off the spool, and couldnt even cast the stuff. so i tossed it and chalked it up as possibly a bad spool.

so just today i picked up a 6lb ice line by vicious thinkin, ok maybe the ice line will be better and i just had a bad spool.

spooled it up and boooom! another coiled up mess. i will officially never ever buy another spool of line from them.

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Vicious fishing line!!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2011, 07:25 PM »
never tried it. was thinking of picking some up, but now i will not waste my money. thanks for the heads up on the line.

rickl1968

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2011, 07:36 PM »
Did you spool it on backwards?

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2011, 08:02 PM »
We call it wallmart line (inexpensive and in the bargain bin). I have 6lb yellow type on a back up of a back up pole. It doesnt see much water time so i cant tell you or bash 100%.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2011, 08:29 PM »
Got a deal on some Vicious Flouro line in 4#, used it to troll panfish baits all summer with a spinning setup, no problems. Not sure of it on ice but its diameter and properties seemed fine if 4# is needed. Personally use ASSO Micron 3 on ice

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2011, 08:35 PM »
got a couple of 1/4# panfish spools in 2,4,and 6lb...i kinda like the stuff in the summer, it's as tough as all get out....BUT I also think it would be terrible for ice fishing...it's too thick (compared to other brands of the same test), has some coiling issues and isn't all that clear (kinda whitish).....anyway, that said-it is on all of my ice rods as backing just cuz it was really cheap!!!!  like $1 for 1000 yards on ebay last winter...how can you really go wrong as backing?

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2011, 09:11 PM »
I read on a crappie fishing website about how great the stuff is, so I bought some.  The 2lb was about the same diameter as any other 4lb mono!  Not impressed - those southern crappie fishin' boys are easily fooled I guess  ;D

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2011, 01:38 PM »
just an update, been about a day or so since spooling and i checked it out today.

seems to have formed a bit to the spool. not uncoiling as bad.

i guess i will just have to test it out on the ice this year ><  will be pissed if it still coils on me in action!  i knew i should have stuck to northland bionic.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2011, 01:44 PM »
Garbage.. Bass Pro was blowing the ice line out at $2 a spool last season.. bought some.. then realized why it was only $2 a spool

Offline Rassy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2011, 01:53 PM »
Did you spool it on backwards?

which way is backwards?? when it comes off the spool should it come from over the top or underneith ? onto a spinning reel?

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2011, 02:01 PM »
Appropriately named Junk ! I spool my reels using the berkley line spool station, best 16 bucks I ever spent !

Offline fish-e

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2011, 03:15 PM »
I used the ice line last year and didn't have a problem with it.  Line didn't freeze and was soft on those cold days.  I used the 4# and the 6#.  Keep in mind I fish deep so I use heavier weights on my drop shot so it takes the coil out.  Not a big deal.  The worse line I have used was the red Cajun ice, now that is a slinky if I ever saw one.
Add a day to your life, go fishing.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2011, 09:10 PM »
which way is backwards?? when it comes off the spool should it come from over the top or underneith ? onto a spinning reel?
Neither.  When you spool a spinning reel you don't want the supply spool to revolve or spin.  You should lay the supply spool on the ground.  Tie the line to the spool using an arbor knot.  Make sure the line comes off the supply spool in the same direction as it goes on the reel.  i.e. if the bail revolves clockwise, the line should come off the supply spool clockwise.  If it fills counterclockwise, it needs to come off the supply spool the same way.  Reel a couple dozen yards on the reel and then stop, give the line a little bit of slack and see if it starts to coil.  If it does, turn the supply spool over on to the other side.  Continue spooling up another couple dozen yards and test again.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rassy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2011, 06:20 AM »
Neither.  When you spool a spinning reel you don't want the supply spool to revolve or spin.  You should lay the supply spool on the ground.  Tie the line to the spool using an arbor knot.  Make sure the line comes off the supply spool in the same direction as it goes on the reel.  i.e. if the bail revolves clockwise, the line should come off the supply spool clockwise.  If it fills counterclockwise, it needs to come off the supply spool the same way.  Reel a couple dozen yards on the reel and then stop, give the line a little bit of slack and see if it starts to coil.  If it does, turn the supply spool over on to the other side.  Continue spooling up another couple dozen yards and test again.

Fishrmn

thank you  very clear...  @)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2011, 07:14 AM »
I heard that putting the line spool on it's face(label side down) is the correct way. Of course if you have a reel that goes counterclockwise that would change.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.