Author Topic: Tungsten jig recommendations?  (Read 8058 times)

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
Tungsten jig recommendations?
« on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:46 AM »
As of Jan 1st, Massachusetts will be banning all lead jigs and sinkers under an ounce, so i will have to replace alot of my jigs. Anyone out there fished the tungsten jigs, and which companies make them?  Suggestions on styles to buy or stay away from?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Tungsten jig recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:09 AM »
there are a few good companies selling tungsten, for the past 4 seasons I have been using wolfram/fiskas, they can be found at the online store "your bobbers down" google that and you will find them quick.

tungsten is pricey, you will be spending over $2 jig for the most part, but the quality is good and so are the shipping rates.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:59 AM »
More companies are getting into the selling tungsten jigs this year so you have even more options

- Your Bobbers Down (wolfram/fiskas)
- Bentley Jigs
- Skandia Jigs (2 different stles)
- JR's Tackle Jalapeno Jig and Pannie Pill
- Northland Hard Rock Jigs (New this season)
- Custom Jigs and Spins (Two new Tungsten Jigs this season)
- HT Tackle (Several new Tungsten Jigs this season)

Some of my favorite are the Fiskas jigs from your bobbers down, they account for most of my tungsten jigs. Marmish also makes non lead ice jigs but they are not tungsten.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2011, 06:58 PM »
  Bentley jigs hands down, a little more $ but like they say "you get what you pay for"

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:09 PM »
X2 on the fiskas. Great jigs

Offline bassin329

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:32 PM »
I did not know that MA was now a breeding ground for Loons. I posted on the NH board on a problem that I am having. Make sure it is 100% non-lead, because the other states do not look at the CA warning on the back of the packaging when they sell it to you. I payed almost $3.00 a piece for panfish jigs to fish in NH. Now I don't know if I can use them. ::) because the hook is attached, with lead after the Tungsten is poured, because Tungsten melting Temp would melt the hook. >:(

MA came up with a day of people turning in fire arms without any questions asked for cash. I hope they offer money for all the lead that will be dumped into a land fill on the 2ND.
Respect the land and water you tread on, it's not just yours.

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:42 PM »
Just received my first order of fiskas from yourbobbersdown, they look awesome and would definitely recommend them. Now just waitin for some ice... :'(

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:31 PM »
How will MA handle the ban.  Will you have to surrender your fly box to DNR officer?  I have my tungstens mixed in with my regulars.  I can't remember which is witch ;D (Salem joke)
Really, it is ridicules.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:59 PM »
Considering the Nanny State mentality MA has shown over the years I'm not surprised in the least that they are banning lead lures.

I'm not sure of the composition of the solder they use to attach the hook to the tungsten. I replaced several hooks on some of my tungsten jigs before. The 60/40 rosin core solder will not stick to the bare tungsten. You have to add solder to the existing solder on the jig. I think they may use a silver solder or something to attach the hook. Regardless it is NOT a large enough amount of lead to mean a hill of beans even if it was lead.

Offline panfishhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2011, 07:49 AM »
I agree them bentleys are def worth the money.  That is all I use really followed up by fiskas and a couple others. But nothing beats a bentley with a little atom plastic or a maki plastic.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2011, 04:22 PM »
The real problem is some guy that wants to take his kid out and then gets tagged by a DNR officer.  We probally loose that kid from fishing or any other outdoor sports.  It always amazes me that here in NY they raise the rates on our licenses to generate more revenue, and then complain when not as many people purchase licenses.  They think everything is in a static bubble.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2011, 04:37 PM »
We probally loose that kid from fishing or any other outdoor sports.

but who's fault is that. the dad for not being up on the regs and putting him and his kid in that situation. I have no issues with the ban or the regs, they have been saying this has been coming for years now (in my area anyways) so if and when they flip the switch, we have been warned.

My guess is that most areas will have a grandfather rule. They will band the sale of lead baits but let you use them for a season or two prior to doing a full ban.

I do agree with you on the license issue. The costs going up will drive away future anglers and in turn they sell less licenses and then they continue to up the price.. vicious cycle.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2011, 07:16 PM »
The real problem is some guy that wants to take his kid out and then gets tagged by a DNR officer.  We probally loose that kid from fishing or any other outdoor sports.  It always amazes me that here in NY they raise the rates on our licenses to generate more revenue, and then complain when not as many people purchase licenses.  They think everything is in a static bubble.

Some states are better at handling things like that and will issue a warning. Some (like Maryland DNR) are just aholes and try to deceive to make money. MD was the most crooked state I've ever bought a fishing license in.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2011, 05:31 AM »
- Custom Jigs and Spins (Two new Tungsten Jigs this season)

I do like CJ&S. Couldn't find them on their site, any info would be greatly appreciated.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2011, 11:48 AM »

I do like CJ&S. Couldn't find them on their site, any info would be greatly appreciated.

They don't have them on their site yet. I'll be ordering some as soon as they get up on their site. I like the nice simple round ball tungsten jigs they came out with. Each jig will be offered in 4 sizes and 12 colors. Below is a video on the two new jigs. There are also pics in the new IF Ice Guide and FW Ice Mag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO2sUO3_RaI

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2011, 12:29 PM »
Thanks guys, i'll give the fiskas a shot, and i'm waiting on CJ&S to update thier site.  I'm alos waiting to see what the local stores do.  Most of them have not even begun to turn over their tackle to non-lead alternatives. 

I work for DCR, and the The EPO's that i work with  have not received any direction with enforcement from their higher-ups, so it might be on an individual basis on interpretation as to how they enforce the rule. 

Offline phil.from.cassopolis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2011, 02:59 PM »
i like fiskas but that is all i have used

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2011, 06:14 PM »
I tried Fiskas for the 1st time last winter, and they worked good.

I got the hand painted ones and the paint chipped off in places, but I heard the epoxy ones are more durable. Gotta get a few of those in the future I guess.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #19 on: Oct 26, 2011, 08:21 PM »
They don't have them on their site yet. I'll be ordering some as soon as they get up on their site. I like the nice simple round ball tungsten jigs they came out with. Each jig will be offered in 4 sizes and 12 colors. Below is a video on the two new jigs. There are also pics in the new IF Ice Guide and FW Ice Mag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO2sUO3_RaI

Thanks! Gotta check out the price, reasonable, I'll be putting in my order.
  Keep America Godly...

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #20 on: Oct 26, 2011, 09:39 PM »
I'd say wait until you see the new offerings from CJ&S, Northland, and HT.....

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2011, 07:31 AM »
Custom Jigs and Spins has their new tungsten jigs up on their site now. Looks like some nice colors and the price is not that awful bad for tungsten jigs. I've spent probably $80 on tungsten jigs so far this season, looks like I'll be spending more.

http://www.customjigsandspins.com/icefishing/tungsten_jigs/chekai.html

http://www.customjigsandspins.com/icefishing/tungsten_jigs/majmun.html

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2011, 02:06 PM »
one of our new sponsors mills fleet farm have a bunch listed but it looks like their out of stock.  The one looks like a gil pil to me and only $1.49 a piece I'll patiently await an email for them to be back in stock.  Unless somebodies used them and thinks there crap.
http://www.fleetfarm.com/search/skandia-tungsten
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2011, 04:54 PM »
Custom Jigs and Spins has their new tungsten jigs up on their site now. Looks like some nice colors and the price is not that awful bad for tungsten jigs. I've spent probably $80 on tungsten jigs so far this season, looks like I'll be spending more.

http://www.customjigsandspins.com/icefishing/tungsten_jigs/chekai.html

http://www.customjigsandspins.com/icefishing/tungsten_jigs/majmun.html

Still can't buy them???  I'll check other options at the Expo tomorrow. Maybe they'll be on sale cheap this spring/summer :-\
  Keep America Godly...

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2011, 01:29 PM »
there are a few good companies selling tungsten, for the past 4 seasons I have been using wolfram/fiskas, they can be found at the online store "your bobbers down" google that and you will find them quick.

tungsten is pricey, you will be spending over $2 jig for the most part, but the quality is good and so are the shipping rates.

Agreed!

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

surflizard

« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2011, 01:36 PM »
Watch out for the northland hard rock tungsten jigs, reports of hook eyes breaking when guys are trying to clean out the eyes !

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:30 PM »
Recieved these in the mail a few weeks back and I mean to tell ya' they are tough as nails! Getting the paint out from around the eyes were a bit of a pain but worth it...no chip of the paint anywhere...rock solid. And the hooks are sharp!

http://www.anglersmart.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=20&products_id=142&osCsid=cacb5bb3d0b55941d6a792a8b59c695d (I posted this site earlier but thought it might need a refresh  ;D )

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:42 PM »
What I find strange is that NH has outlawed the sale of lead jigs under an inch in length, yet Walmart and everywhere else I have looked for panfish jigs continues to sell them. HT simply crossed out the lead warning on the reverse of thier bubble packaging and stuck a "non-lead" sticker to the front of the package. I wouldn`t doubt if those Chinese sympathizers didn`t change anything IN the package. ;D Yet , while on the ice , I can be approached and have my gear taken from me? Go after Walmart first , then come see me.
Dropping Fiskas on em in the meantime....... ROTT

Offline gillcraze

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drill em n kill em
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:54 PM »
fiskas are all i drop down anymore when it comes to tungsten
drill em n kill em

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2011, 03:00 PM »
What I find strange is that NH has outlawed the sale of lead jigs under and inch in length, yet Walmart and everywhere else I have looked for panfish jigs continues to sell them. HT simply crossed out the lead warning on the reverse of thier bubble packaging and stuck a "non-lead" sticker to the front of the package. I wouldn`t doubt if those Chinese sympathizers didn`t change anything IN the package. ;D Yet , while on the ice , I can be approached and have my gear taken from me? Go after Walmart first , then come see me.
Dropping Fiskas on em in the meantime....... ROTT

I am guessing it is not illegal to sell, but is illegal to use. It's the old government (state sales tax) wanting your money...and the retailer...and the manufacturer BS!! :%$#!:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.