Author Topic: Long Johns  (Read 8534 times)

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
Re: Long Johns
« Reply #30 on: Nov 08, 2011, 07:04 PM »
I see you all pay alittle more than UA costs for the right stuff.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 09, 2011, 04:16 AM »
Not so. We are paying looooots less for thermals that are made of the same material as Underarmour.  Case in point are the Guide Gear thermals ($17.97) that Surflizard pointed out from Sportsmans Guide that are made of the same material (96% polyester), and they have a heavier weight material (10 oz. as opposed to UA 7.5 oz.).

Don't buy the hype, buy great gear for less. There is a ridiculous amount of markup on clothing.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #32 on: Nov 09, 2011, 04:22 PM »
I have two outlet stores within driving distance and cold gear tops are $15.00 tall neck are $17.00.I did see on the site you suggested what looked similar and about the same price point.I may be missing something here so I will look at it again.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 14, 2014, 11:36 AM »
I found that my wool blend base layers kept me warm, but didn't breath.  Any physical activity made me overheat.     

I bought the ECWCS base layers a couple years ago and they have performed well.  They breathe well and yet keep you warm.  But not warm enough.   
ECWCS is made of polypropylene/spandex, and this material is currently all the rage as the ultimate base-layer.

The polypropylene is good enough for a sport with a level of moderate physical activity, however, it seems to me that only wool blend base-layers provide the level of warmth necessary for a sedentary sport that ice fishing can be when you're not drilling holes or moving around etc. 

I'm going back to low-tech wool base layers. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2014, 01:28 PM »
Whats the need for long johns with the new fishing suits, I have a striker suit and have never wore long johns under it, never got cold, and don't fish in a shanty!!!

Offline mrgundog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:26 PM »
Depends where you are. I have a brand new striker suit I love it. But alone it would not cut it. A cold snap to some people is normal to others.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly dog

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2014, 06:09 AM »
After due consideration and given all available input I have purchased the following from Outer Sports:
Black Heavy Weight Fleece Polypropylene Underwear
$20.95
THESE ARE OUR WARMEST THERMALS! Military Expedition weight polypropylene thermal underwear is the thickest weight that we carry and has a nice terry finish.

Sounds like you did good!

WS

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2014, 01:39 PM »
They were $45 at a popular retailer, but only $20.95 at Outersports when I bought them.  They're alright but still not warm enough. 

I'm not impressed with the polyester or polypropylene base layers.   

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Wickers has good quality made in the USA thermal underwear for way less than UA and they have 20% off sales fairly regularly.  They also have TALL sizes which I appreciate.

http://www.wickers.com/performance-thermal-underwear.cfm

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 01, 2014, 03:07 PM »
Spend the extra money and buy Under Armour, I have #3 and the wife has #4, never get cold.

Offline Slimbobbin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2014, 05:55 PM »
bass pro has there redhead  brand of military fleece long johns with seem to be working very well for me this winter i wear that and have become a big fan of layering in fleece layers with a good wind and water proof outer shell and have stayed amazingly warm and it does not seem nearly as bulky
lifes a little sweeter with ice

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 10, 2014, 06:00 PM »
The best I have ever found is made in USA 100% polypropylene. Both top and bottoms are $16 shipped and come in lots of sizes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181209152226?var=480270342525&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
-Tom

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 16, 2014, 09:46 PM »
I like silk long johns, good breathability and insulation, but they don't last long.  if you wear them every day in winter, they are worn out in 1 winter.  I think the denim in my jeans wears them out.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 04, 2014, 02:23 PM »
For the bottoms I wear Patagonia silkweight Capilene. They are expensive at $50 but they fit better than anything else I have tried. There are less expensive brands that appear to be made from simillar material but it is worth paying for a better fit. For the top I use a brand called Weatherproof that I bought at Sam's Club last winter. The fabric feels like Capilene at 1/3 the price. I have their bottoms but the fit doesn't compare to Patagonia.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 07, 2014, 11:40 AM »
I have Duofold and ECWCS Long Johns.  Both work very well.  The Duofold is sweat to death warm and the ECWCS is not quite as warm as the Duofold, but it's still very good and it breathes.  A friend gave me an Under Armour upper base layer.  I never would have bought it for myself at $50 a pop.  I now love Under Armour.  Overpriced, but apparently worth it.  Send money so I can buy more.   

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #45 on: Dec 07, 2014, 11:43 AM »
I got some Poly Wicker's at Fleet Farm for like $20 each piece. Works fine for me.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 07, 2014, 11:47 AM »
My Duofold and ECWCS work fine for me too.  But, Under Armour is really good.  I was impressed.     

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #47 on: Dec 07, 2014, 08:59 PM »
I love my soft poly's.
Hot tip, the light brown army mountain polypropelene tops and bottoms are around at gun shows or surplus stores.
Warm and wick very well, wind proof.  Down side, don't put in a sizzling hot dryer.

I think I paid $5 each.
Thread killer

Offline Clarkie_0415

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 26, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Coldest days I'll wear this.

Upper body:
Base layer- c9  (target house brand) long sleeve athletic crew. Poly
Mid layer- llbean dual layer long john top.  Wool blend
Outer layer- under armor cold gear 1/4 zip.
Pack a fleece+shell jacket for after the gears on the ice and the holes are drilled.

Bottoms:
over the calf socks under the bottoms
Base: llbean dual layer thermal bottoms
jeans/bdu pants
Surplus gore tex bottoms
Heavy surplus wool pants (suspenders)

never frozen, decent mobility, cold gear top and long Johns were most expensive but I work outdoors all winter so they pay for themselves in the overtime I can stand to work...

The dual layers have cotton in them however the wool does well to regulate your internal temp.  I still prefer the thin c9 top to help wick moisture but straight poly layers can chill you with a good breeze.

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #49 on: Jan 02, 2015, 07:36 AM »
I have had a union suit for some time now. Love the thing and keeps me warm in all conditions. Was out working in -10* without much problems, other than fingers.
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.