Author Topic: Long Johns  (Read 8533 times)

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Long Johns
« on: Oct 21, 2011, 03:15 PM »
I need new long drawers. I currently run with a Duofold over a light thermal, and on cold days, sweatpants for a base layer. The Doufold heavyweight doesn't impress me.  I think that UnderArmour is overpriced.   

What's a great pair of long johns at a reasonable price? 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Long Johns
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2011, 03:20 PM »
Know what works for me?...flannel pj's ... as a skinny little 50+, conserving heat is a big issue with me! Warmest thing I've found yet :thumbsup:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline easy 1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2011, 03:38 PM »
i could use a couple pair. maby something light and loose. have no use for the tight stuff.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Cabela's ECWCS heavy weight. It's all I wear here in manitoba. Not bulky, wicks very well. Great in the -30's.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2011, 07:06 PM »
  I bought thinsulate liner jeans and they are great.  If you fish a shanty you will be sweating, also dont make legs itch.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2011, 09:27 PM »
Cabela's ECWCS heavy weight. It's all I wear here in manitoba. Not bulky, wicks very well. Great in the -30's.
I think that's the one called "Polar" like mine. I look forward to -30f. Haven't seen it, but now I feel ready for it. I'll also say it's close to impossible to sweat with these things on. I've tried it ~ doesn't work ~ always DRY and just comfortably warm, never hot and feels like silk. For some odd reason they have added a "Thermal" type. Sale ends 10/25.   Keyword = ecwcs

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2011, 03:54 AM »
I'm checking out the ECWCS and they don't indicate heavyweight. They use the term "Polarweight", and do not provide temperature capability in the specs..  Are those the ones?   

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2011, 04:42 AM »
UnderArmour is overpriced - BUT it's also very nice @)  Most comfortable stuff I've ever worn, I use it exclusively - heatgear, coldgear.  And it lasts nearly "forever".

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2011, 06:38 AM »
ZUBAZ under my jeans...work great, but you better hope no one sees you!  ;D
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

surflizard

« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2011, 06:44 AM »
Dri Star at wally world, mock zip top $14, bottoms $12, same material as under armor at 1/4 of the cost !

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2011, 07:41 AM »
Dri Star at wally world, mock zip top $14, bottoms $12, same material as under armor at 1/4 of the cost !

That's me, I'm there, Thanks alot. I didn't think I had to spend big bucks. 

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2011, 07:53 AM »
Not much to do with "need" - that's a "4-letter-word"  ;D
I've got a set of the wally world stuff - IMO - it may be the same fabric, but it's not the same product or performance.

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2011, 08:06 AM »
You don't have too, sportsmans guide and other web bases sites also have just as good a product, different name, same performance, less money ! None of it is made here, so brand loyalty is not really an issue in my opinion.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2011, 08:22 AM »
X2  ..My wife asked me if I had any clue what I wanted for Christmas yet..I was gonna say UA..but this sounds like a better deal to me!

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2011, 08:53 AM »
I'm checking out the ECWCS and they don't indicate heavyweight. They use the term "Polarweight", and do not provide temperature capability in the specs..  Are those the ones?   

My mistake grumpyoldman, they are polarweight. They have kind of a basketweave pattern to the fabric. Try to find the brown ones if you can. The material is much thicker than the black one's. I bought mine last year, so I'm not sure if they have changed since then.

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2011, 08:56 PM »
go to the under armor web site and you can purchase their product line cheaper than you can out of any local store---------

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2011, 09:00 PM »
Thinsulate jeans good for working in, and no long johns needed. As far as insulated goes it.s UA all else has gone to (Good Will ) Ice fishing is not like bow hunting gun hunting or open water fishing. We pound 50 plus holes a day run through a auger full of fuel and move four times or more to find fish your soaked you dry with out freezing each time. UA for this Duofold for all else %30 merino wool %20 spandex %50 polypropylene. JMO

Live to fish forced to work

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2011, 09:01 PM »
I've been wearing the duofold heavyweight for 2 seasons now under sweatpants, hooded sweatshirt and bibs (parka if really cold).  Never cold.

The WORST day of fishing is ALWAYS better than the BEST day in the office.

Offline ice pig 121

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2011, 08:43 PM »
I have had really good luck with the Rocky fleece top and bottoms, they have always kept me warm and they have the comfort to last for a weekend trip.
Tight lines and happy hunting to all! Go Vikings!!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2011, 03:53 AM »
Not much to do with "need" - that's a "4-letter-word"  ;D

And then a philosopher popped up. You're right, I don't need them, I want them. The old Duofold I have will not be decommissioned.  I will mend the tear on them.  But, I could use a second pair and I needed more ideas than I had. I found out that seasoned ice fishermen  recommend a brand that Wally World sells, that thinsulate pants and flannel p.j's (and other clothing) are an option and that the ECWCS can be had for half the price that Cabelas sells them for if you search the internet.   

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Being south of the ice zone no need to buy the tundra stuff.

Live to fish forced to work

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:09 PM »
And then a philosopher popped up. You're right, I don't need them, I want them. The old Duofold I have will not be decommissioned.  I will mend the tear on them.  But, I could use a second pair and I needed more ideas than I had. I found out that seasoned ice fishermen  recommend a brand that Wally World sells, that thinsulate pants and flannel p.j's (and other clothing) are an option and that the ECWCS can be had for half the price that Cabelas sells them for if you search the internet.   

;D  Long ways from a philosopher.  Just a realist with experience and a desire to be as comfortable as possible while out on the ice.  ;)

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2011, 03:29 PM »
I did some comparisons, all heavy weight long johns (my local Walmart does not sell the heavyweight long johns, so they are not in the mix) :

Underarmour
Made of heavyweight 7.25-oz. 96/4 polyester/elastane - $80

Duofold
96% polyester and 4% Lycra elastane bi-ply jersey - $36

ECWCS
Polypropylene - $45

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #23 on: Oct 31, 2011, 03:43 PM »
I wear a pair of Columbia Polyester/Lycra Spandex pants- and a long sleeve top of the same make. I wear a pair of Burton Outland Snowboard Pants over the Columbia pants. I have never needed anything more on my lower half. That being said, I would love to have a pair of UnderArmor wear.  I stay warm even when it`s blowing and cold with the stuff I wear. I would like to think I am pretty diehard-for a Suthern Hampsha guy. ;)
Being south of the ice zone no need to buy the tundra stuff.
Yuppers ;D

surflizard

« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Hey GOM

Sportsmans guide has EWCS Sets for $18 bucks in the new flyer, Pretty Sweet deal !

Surf

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2011, 03:05 PM »
Hey GOM

Sportsmans guide has EWCS Sets for $18 bucks in the new flyer, Pretty Sweet deal !

Surf
Thanks for the heads up.
I couldn't find the heavyweight ECWCS at Sportsmans Guide but I did find the following (note the 10oz.):

Guide GearŪ 10 - oz. Poly - Fleece Underwear  - $17.97
10-oz. polyester fabric insulates incredibly AND is hydrophobic ("water hating") to suck moisture off your skin when you work up a sweat. Even better, this fabric does NOT retain odor. Brushed-fleece finish inside.

surflizard

« Reply #26 on: Nov 01, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Those are the ones I was talking about, I got a set of them for the boss last year and she loves them !

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 02, 2011, 04:10 AM »
After due consideration and given all available input I have purchased the following from Outer Sports:
Black Heavy Weight Fleece Polypropylene Underwear
$20.95
THESE ARE OUR WARMEST THERMALS! Military Expedition weight polypropylene thermal underwear is the thickest weight that we carry and has a nice terry finish. These are thick, but lightweight and wick sweat and moisture extremely well. They dry very fast. Inside is a very soft polypropylene fleece that feels great next to the skin. These are Genuine U.S. Military Issue Polypropylene Thermals, a vital part of the Extended Cold Weather Clothing System(ECWCS). We get these directly from a manufacturer that provides them to the US Armed Forces.

I shall report their performance.
Thanks all for the help. Surf, your comments and seasoned experience convinced me that I could get what I needed for less money. A lot less. Thanks.

surflizard

« Reply #28 on: Nov 02, 2011, 05:29 AM »
Glad to help GOM and you provided another source for these high performance, budget friendly thermals, we all win ! :thumbsup:

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 08, 2011, 04:37 AM »
I got the above mentioned ECWCS for $25 (including shipping) from Outer Sports. The quality is excellent, but let me see how they perform. 

Normally, I would have bought these from Cabelas (I like their service), but I saved about $27 (including shipping). I will vouch for these thermals from a retailer I never heard of.       

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.