The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wyoming Off Topic Thread  (Read 57674 times)

Offline Djfan

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Wyoming Off Topic Thread
« Reply #420 on: Oct 18, 2019, 07:02 AM »
I hate those )&#%)#(*% elk!!!!

What the heck does it take to down one????  I have spent six years, countless hours scouting, reading, etc., and too much money to get one.  I swear I am jinxed by the elk gods. 

Anyone have something I can learn from this?  I am besides myself trying to harvest one.  Un-fricken-believable how impossible it is for me to harvest an elk.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' Jiggy with it!
« Reply #421 on: Oct 18, 2019, 09:44 AM »
I hate those )&#%)#(*% elk!!!!

What the heck does it take to down one????  I have spent six years, countless hours scouting, reading, etc., and too much money to get one.  I swear I am jinxed by the elk gods. 

Anyone have something I can learn from this?  I am besides myself trying to harvest one.  Un-fricken-believable how impossible it is for me to harvest an elk.

hahaha! Hi DJ I'd be more than happy to give you a few pointers in killing an elk if you'd like to PM me some questions you have. Besides that, a rule I live by (especially during rifle season) is to treat elk like those "dark seekers" in the movie I am legend. Seriously. Once elk feel pressure they hate the daylight. Be hiked in and to your predetermined spot as shooting light arrives. If you start your hunt after shooting light you're already behind the 8 ball. Stay out until you can't see anymore and walk back in the dark. It's amazing how many elk come out of hiding 5 minutes before shooting light ends.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over I'll ice fish there too

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #422 on: Oct 18, 2019, 10:47 AM »
It took me a few years to get an elk and I grew up in Wy. I would add to what POK3s said hunt where the elk are, not where they were. They move in big circles in most areas not at random. While scouting you should be able to figure the loop out. Most of the time it takes about a week to 10 days. Fresh tracks and scat on the ground it where you should be hunting today. Keep at it after a while it will go off like a light bulb.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.