Author Topic: New to ice fishing need input  (Read 1142 times)

Offline TeamBlueGear

• Team IceShanty Regular
New to ice fishing need input
« on: Oct 11, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Hello everyone, This will be my first year ice fishing and I'm already off to a good start. I have my Clam Blue Suit, a Clam Command Post, 3 rod/reel combos and a few lures/jigs. Also have a couple led light fan combo's, heater. Ordering a MarCum Showdown and auger soon. As far as jigs go I was going to buy some from Jamin Jigs, I am mainly going after Perch/Crappie. What are some good choices? I do fish, however never on the ice before so I'm kind of clueless,lol Any input appreciated.
Life moves too fast, if you don't stop and look around you just might miss something.....Ferris Buler

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New to ice fishing need input
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Look in the new York section and i have a thread with favorite panfish jigs i like small jigs. Size 10-16

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Welcome to the greatest Ice Fishing site in the world. I like Jammin's Neon Glow grubs and their foot ball jigs for perch. Anything with chartreuse , orange, and green. Study all the rooms and search for things too. You can get a great education from some of the pros here. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You will get all kinds of good advise.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Welcome Good Buddy! You just made the best FREE purchase when you joined this site, you'll learn a lot from all the guys and gals on this great site.
Just remember to ask questions, they're is no such thing as a stupid question if you honestly don't know the answer. Now, bring on the ICE!!!
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2011, 07:09 PM »
I hope your not afraid of Ice cracking! There are a lot of people that just can't handle the ice Cracking and the thought of falling through.

Reason I mentioned this is you already went out and spent a lot of money. Not to scare you off. The one thing I practice and preach is don't go out alone. Meaning if there isn't anyone on the ice it might be because it isn't safe yet. Drill a couple holes close to shore to see how deep the ice is. I guess I should just direct you to the Safety on Ice section. Good luck and catch a lot of fish.
<===Lefty===

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2011, 07:18 PM »
Welcome, it is too short a season so make sure you get out as many days and nights as you can.

Jammer

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2011, 07:36 PM »
Perch - 1/4 oz silver kastmasters, blue and green Swedish pimples, charteuese hali's.

Crappies - Go Small.  Even the slab crappies go fr small.  Tear drops, tiger jigs, ant jigs.

The WORST day of fishing is ALWAYS better than the BEST day in the office.

Offline PikeCatch104

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team New York
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2011, 07:38 PM »
u have come to the right place ;D its the best site ever and i love jammin jigs i have tons of them they work and look perfect!!!!!!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2011, 07:42 PM »
welcome to IS and welcome to the sport. When you are first testing jigs, your best bet is to look for some combo packs.. jammin has some great packs with a variety of baits. Once you get a feel for it you can nail down what works. read a lot, and ask questions. there are many guys here that will gladly help

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2011, 07:51 PM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of ice fishing, you're going to love it! Get yourself good assortment of jigs, I like Halie's & the Forage Fry's for perch & crappies.

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2011, 08:22 PM »
Welcome to the the Greatest show on ice TeamBlueGear, glad to have ya aboard ! You gotten a good blend of jig suggestions and they will all get the job done for you ! The one thing that I will recommend could very well save your life some day. There is no substitute for good judgement and common sense out there, combine that with a Ice chisel or spud as some of us call them and it will tell you what is safe and what is not ! An Ice chisel will check the ice up to 4 feet away from you, thump the ice with the point of the chisel as hard as you can with one hand, if it doesn't go thru, you should have 3 to 4 inches of ice. Punch a hole and find out just how much you have and NEVER take the ice for granted, we lose Fellow ice fishermen every year because they do ! This is not a scare the new guy routine, this is just to make you Aware is all ! Clear black ice is the strongest, dark grey cloudy ice is the weakest ! Reading the ice will come with time, if you can find someone to go with that's been there and done it, they can give you pointers on reading the ice, things like overflows, springs, reefs, water pockets and other signs of things to watch out for on the ice ! As others have advised in prior posts, there is No such thing as a Stupid question !! Good luck out there, stay safe and let us know what you think of this Sport that every single one of us on this forum love too much to describe !  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Surf

P.S. I highly recommend the Jiffy Millac chisel, mine has saved me from a dunkin more than once !

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2011, 09:23 PM »
welcome to the shanty first... i like using sweedish pimples, halis and kodiaks
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2011, 09:33 PM »
Welcome to the the Greatest show on ice TeamBlueGear, glad to have ya aboard ! You gotten a good blend of jig suggestions and they will all get the job done for you ! The one thing that I will recommend could very well save your life some day. There is no substitute for good judgement and common sense out there, combine that with a Ice chisel or spud as some of us call them and it will tell you what is safe and what is not ! An Ice chisel will check the ice up to 4 feet away from you, thump the ice with the point of the chisel as hard as you can with one hand, if it doesn't go thru, you should have 3 to 4 inches of ice. Punch a hole and find out just how much you have and NEVER take the ice for granted, we lose ice fishermen every year because they do ! This is not a scare the new guy routine, this is just to make you Aware is all ! Clear black ice is the strongest, dark grey cloudy ice is the weakest ! Reading the ice will come with time, if you can find someone to go with that's been there and done it, they can give you pointers on reading the ice, things like overflows, springs, reefs, water pockets and other signs of things to watch out for on the ice ! As others have advised in prior posts, there is No such thing as a Stupid question !! Good luck out there, stay safe and let us know what you think of this Sport that every single one of us on this forum love too much to describe !  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Surf

P.S. I highly recommend the Jiffy Millac chisel, mine has saved me from a dunkin more than once !
Great advice Surf!!!  Also, Arctic Armor will make you a dunkin doughnut.  Better safe than sorry!!!  ;D

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2011, 10:05 PM »
The best advice I can give you is to gather all of your ice gear and get rid of it ASAP....Sell it cheap, Give it away if you have to !!    You have no idea of what you are getting your self into !!   (I'll be going to Erie this Sunday  ;D)

Ice fishing will make you go insane !!  In a few months you will be trekking across the ice in -10 degree weather.  The wind chill would make a penguin shiver....  Yet you will have a smile on your face !!   
you will be spending all your free time on the ice, on IceShanty or making modifications to your shanty and sled.  Your   
Your wife and your friends will see very little of you.  (might wanna keep a picture of your wife in your shanty so that you do recognize her when you do see her).
Your vacation will no longer be taken during the summer as you wanna take a icefishing trip to Lake Of The Woods. 
When you are out on Lake Erie catching some nice eyes, You'll be daydreaming of sitting in your Clam catching bluegill and crappie !!   
And that's the good parts !!
I'm telling ya... get out while you can...   There is NO turning back once you start !!

Offline LDB_Bass_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2011, 11:31 PM »
Welcome, it is too short a season so make sure you get out as many days and nights as you can.

Jammer

Come to Manitoba, usually need the auger extension by march! 4+ feet of ice baby!!!!! Bring it on.
FTAA Member: Fishing Tackle Addictions Anonymous

Offline icenovice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2011, 11:49 PM »
Welcome aboard. I would recommend reading the posts in the perch and crappie sections of this site, there is a wealth of info there.  Good luck

Steve

surflizard

« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2011, 06:17 AM »
Great advice Surf!!!  Also, Arctic Armor will make you a dunkin doughnut.  Better safe than sorry!!!  ;D
Hey Wally, have you been out double dippin in the AAs again ??  :roflmao:

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2011, 06:48 AM »
Welcome to the site!!

Great advise going already!!

The guys are right. Safty first. One thing I may add is by a life jacket.

Not sure if was already mentioned but Fiska jigs for deeper waters.
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2011, 08:31 AM »
1.  burn your credit card
2.  seek professional help
3.  crawl into your freezer for several hours
and if your still nuts enough to go fishing enjoy and welcome aboard

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the lines tight and the flags high.
« Reply #19 on: Oct 12, 2011, 08:39 AM »
sounds like your pretty will set up.  just find weeds and start popping holes.  someone did mention the sounds of the ice though.  It can be scary i guess.  brought my friend out for the first time a couple years back.  we were the first one's out that day, well the snap crackle, and pop of the ice made it a short first trip.  he couldnt stand still when it would pop.  you will learn the sounds, but if you hear a deafening cracking sound, RUN!!! other then that it's just the ice settling down with your weight.  But have fun, and enjoy the best season there is out on the lakes.

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #20 on: Oct 12, 2011, 11:35 AM »
Welcome and your gonna like this winter/hard H20 fishing...
It is addicting!!! Frustrating sometimes but very addicting!
 Enjoy!!!

Offline slabspanker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i sell wood and wood products
« Reply #21 on: Oct 12, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Swedish pimples-Crushed Ice. Gentz Bug in glow yellow. Emerald shiners on a plain hook.
wood is good

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 12, 2011, 12:30 PM »
I highly recommend you go out with someone who has experience and the right gear for ice fishing in your area to see if you like the sport.  If you run right out and buy a good hut, a heater, a hand auger then probably a power one, a good fish finder, at least two jiging rods, a few doz jigs of all sizes and colors, some tip ups if you want to fish for pike, some more accessories (minnow bucket, skimmer, lantern, buckets) and don't forget the ice fishing suit it will cost you well over a $1000.  You bettwer be sure you like the sport before you make the investment.  then you can add a $7000 - $8000 quad or snowmobile to your inventory.

Hope you become another ice addict like me
Perch Chacer

Offline TeamBlueGear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2011, 05:46 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the great advise! My hopes were for me and some friends to go out. My luck, it will snow quite a bit and only get out a few times. (we plow snow). But still can't wait!
Life moves too fast, if you don't stop and look around you just might miss something.....Ferris Buler

Offline popcorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2011, 06:23 PM »
Get your self a good set of ice picks and keep them with you all the time. Green Swedish pimples work good for me.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2011, 07:33 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the great advise! My hopes were for me and some friends to go out. My luck, it will snow quite a bit and only get out a few times. (we plow snow). But still can't wait!

Yeah, that might put a damper on the ice fishing.  Started plowing last year..plowing 4 hours before work..8 hour work day, then possibly having to plow after work..  The money is good.. But, makes for a long day !!    I'm hoping we get tons of snow BEFORE the ice forms.. Once there is ice ..well, I got better things to do then to plow   :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.