The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: advice on a new auger needed  (Read 3327 times)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Re: advice on a new auger needed
« Reply #30 on: Oct 12, 2011, 10:15 PM »
I would go with either the Nils with the Tanaka motor, or a Strikemaster Strike Lite....4 stroke.....and it's lightweight !

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 12, 2011, 11:08 PM »
Robbi, Had similar problems with my 20yo Mag2000.  I just ran  a few oz.s of SeaFoam through it and it just purred.  Been using the stuff in all my engines, 2 and 4 cycle,  I also noticed a big difference when I switched to a full synthetic oil and lightened the  mix to about 70 to 1.  And I've used it as a stabilizer for the last 8 yrs and have never had to throw old gas away.  An octogenarian boat motor mechanic turned us "kids" on to the stuff in the early 90's and I've never had a complaint.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Oct 12, 2011, 11:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for the inputs.............thi nk I'm gonna try that seafoam..........do you get it at a sporting goods store or an auto parts store??

outhntn........pm coming your way.

surflizard

« Reply #33 on: Oct 13, 2011, 05:19 AM »
How and where do you get aviation fuel??!?
Most any small airport will have AV gas for sale, just look for the 89 octane, they also carry the 91 and 93 oct, it runs just a scosh too hot for the augers.

Napa and autozone carry the seasfoam, but if you read the MSDS sheet for seafoam, it has 20 % alcohol by Volume ! I use the Startron enzine gas additive, it breaks down the ethanol in gas so it doesn't attract water and it helps to stabilize gas longer than seafoam ! Napa and Autozone also sell it, Good luck !

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Oct 13, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Most any small airport will have AV gas for sale, just look for the 89 octane, they also carry the 91 and 93 oct, it runs just a scosh too hot for the augers.
Actually that's incorrect. The higher the octane the cooler the combustion. I use AV gas in almost all my small engines, both new and old. I actually have ran into problems in very cold temperatures with the 89 octane AV gas. The engine will not get up to temperature to run correctly. Other than that yes it is the best gas to use especially if it's not being used all the time. Just remember not to use it in anything that has a catalytic converter as there is still a bit of lead in AV gas.

surflizard

« Reply #35 on: Oct 13, 2011, 01:14 PM »
Your right whitefishmt, I stand corrected. The higher octane prolongs the burn leading to cooler internal temps.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #36 on: Oct 21, 2011, 09:17 PM »
I have been looking into getting a gas auger. I have concerns about the  composite handles on the strikemaster models and how they will hold up in the cold. Any good advice?
I've been using my SM (Mag 2000) auger for years, hard use but not abuse, without any problems with the handle or o/w.  I like the composite handle, as metal is bad on my hands at subzero temps.  Also, it could be that, if you abuse your auger, you may want the handle to take the brunt of the damage as opposed to more expensive nternal motor parts.  In addition, I lay my auger down on the handle when on the ice between hole drilling (standing it in a partial drilled hole is bad on most components) and the composite handle doesn't melt into the ice like I have seen metal handles do on even cold sunny days.

SM has been in the business for a lot longer than I have been around and I would lay good money that they could have put a solid metal handle on their augers for cheap, but made the decision to go a different route.

Also, to make a decision on an auger that will last for many years, perhaps decades, based on the type of handle, is silly in the extremis.   

My .02s - more important than the handle is to look at the replacement cost of auger blades.  My SM Mag 2000 single chipper blade can be sharpened by me for free.  Look at the cost of some of the blades for the latest and greatest and do the math.  In under 10 years of replacing expensive auger blades you would spend more than the cost of a SM Mag 2000 ($250 or so when I bought mine).

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #37 on: Oct 21, 2011, 10:16 PM »
I've been using my SM (Mag 2000) auger for years, hard use but not abuse, without any problems with the handle or o/w.  I like the composite handle, as metal is bad on my hands at subzero temps.  Also, it could be that, if you abuse your auger, you may want the handle to take the brunt of the damage as opposed to more expensive nternal motor parts.  In addition, I lay my auger down on the handle when on the ice between hole drilling (standing it in a partial drilled hole is bad on most components) and the composite handle doesn't melt into the ice like I have seen metal handles do on even cold sunny days.

SM has been in the business for a lot longer than I have been around and I would lay good money that they could have put a solid metal handle on their augers for cheap, but made the decision to go a different route.

Also, to make a decision on an auger that will last for many years, perhaps decades, based on the type of handle, is silly in the extremis.   

My .02s - more important than the handle is to look at the replacement cost of auger blades.  My SM Mag 2000 single chipper blade can be sharpened by me for free.  Look at the cost of some of the blades for the latest and greatest and do the math.  In under 10 years of replacing expensive auger blades you would spend more than the cost of a SM Mag 2000 ($250 or so when I bought mine).

+1+1++1+1++1+1+1-------> I own the same auger and use the absolute living heck out of it. Seedtree and myself fish in the same sub-arctic, windy, snowy conditions on thick ice. SM makes a superior product and you will not be disappointed.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it didn't have a mother then it wasn't a meal.
« Reply #38 on: Oct 31, 2011, 02:55 PM »
Get the Eskimo 51.7 cc 10 inch. Nothing beats it and they run like a champ.

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Oct 31, 2011, 03:09 PM »
Get the Eskimo 51.7 cc 10 inch. Nothing beats it and they run like a champ.
What about the Z71 71cc, 3.7 hp 10"? Just got mine and it has Aluminum handles! But ya...... nothing runs like a MO!

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #40 on: Oct 31, 2011, 04:00 PM »
Plus mix with premium gas instead of reg unleaded.

Premium Grades of gas have a higher flashpoint requiring more spark to ignite than Regular Unleaded gasoline.
Use of Premium Grade unleaded gas can result in harder starting in colder temperatures-like when you`re trying to drill thru a chunk of ice. It is a common misconception. Regular Unleaded is the way to go. Next you have to choose a stabilizer like Stabil and a 2 cycle oil . I`m staying out of the oil debate-plenty of threads on that , I imagine.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Oct 31, 2011, 05:02 PM »

. I`m staying out of the oil debate-plenty of threads on that , I imagine.
why start now   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.