Author Topic: How much stuff do you bring  (Read 4423 times)

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
How much stuff do you bring
« on: Jan 22, 2005, 04:49 PM »
The other day, someone in a single pullover shack remarked about how much stuff I had with me. The biggest thing was the 20lb tank of propane. I've contained my "just in case" stuff to a small tub with a lid. I didn't think it was that much. Power auger, tackle box, fish locator, hand depth finder, seat, bucket for bait, propane lamp, 20lb tank with heater and that's about it. What does everyone else bring? Am I bringing too much? I'd like to know.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: How much stuff do you bring
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2005, 04:54 PM »
depends for me, sometimes i only take a rod, bucket and vex.

most of the time i have my trap, vex, aqua-vu, power auger (or hand auger), bucket, rubbermaid tote for tackle, 5 - 7 rods...2 scoops, camera, iced tea, sandwiches, extra gloves, measuring tape, two headlamps+batteries

if there is alot of snow i loose the aqua-vu

if fishing at night, i bring my 52' vintage Coleman lantern

if there is snow, i bring a collapsable plastic snow shovel

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2005, 05:10 PM »
cityfishin, I vary my load by how long I will be out and what I am fishing for.  It always seems like I have more than I really need, but that is part of the fun.  Playing with the "stuff" is part of the sport.

You must be nicer than I am, I would have told the person commenting on the amount of equipment I had that unless I had asked them to drag it out for me, what difference did it make to them.  If it is yours and you want to drag it around who's business is it but yours.

I would take a ton of equipment at one time but learned how hard it was to pull the extra through the snow and started to learn what to leave at home.

Take what you want to take.

Pop

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2005, 07:05 PM »
As George Carlin would say   "its your STUFF , do what you want with it "

I take way to much stuff with me. I remember going out with a pole , a bucket and a 12 pack, Used to travel light .  Not anymore

In the end, the person with the most stuff wins
How's the ice

Offline chrisN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2005, 07:30 PM »
When i go out i usually go out for walleye so i will have my hand auger (because we dont have a power one YET) and 4 rods in a pail, a box of firewood because we dont have a shack set up, my tackle box, one scoop, food and bait, extra clothing.

Who cares how much you bring out as long as you are willing to carry it!!
Team Manitoba

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2005, 08:39 PM »
Portable shanty,bucket,milk crate(with wire ties around each corner to stand my rods up in),lantern and or heater,extra fuel tank,2 small tackle boxes,creepers when needed,ice scoop,depth finder,auger,thermos,minnow bucket,lunch,ski mask and extra gloves.If you got it you can use it,but if you have'nt got it you are S.O.L...

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2005, 08:41 PM »
The last trip I made a conscious effort to trim things down a bit so that I get all my rods/tackle/bait into a bucket.  Of course there is still the Zercom, an auger, a Thermos, munchies, chair(s), and possibly a Clam.  I'm looking to get a better sled to make it easier...then again, I need the exercise.  I haven't gotten to the point of a heater yet, but that will come in time.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2005, 08:48 PM »
I feel better about how much I bring. I wish I could bet rid of the 20lb tank. That's the biggest pig. I looked at the 5lb tank and the guy told me that they don't recommend the 5lb tanks with the heaters. The 20lb and the 1lb tanks are. He said that you only get about the same time as a 1lb tank. That seems weird. Anybody hear this? I don't want to keep using the 1lb disposable tanks and i'm not bold enough to refill them.

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2005, 09:10 PM »
I bring my jet sled,inside it is-power auger,shiner bucket,basket with my traps,spoon,colman stove,small fold up table,and a fold up chair.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2005, 09:45 PM »
HEY CITYFISHIN,
I HAVE TWO TEN LBER'S (I GUESS, I CAN GET TWO DAYS OUT OF ONE) AND THEY WORK GREAT. THAT IS ALL I HAVE EVER USED, UNLESS I FORGOT TO FILL THEM DURNING THE WEEK AND EVERY PLACE WAS CLOSED WHEN WE WOULD LEAVE EARLY IN THE AM. THEN I WOULD HAVE TO USE THE 20 LBER'S. I LOVE MY SMALL TANKS.EASY TO PACK AND A WHOLE LOT LIGHTER THAN THE BIG ONES.
I ALSO TAKE A LOT OF STUFF, BUT THAT IS MY DECISION.... ;)2
TIGHT LINES,
WYO ICE
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2005, 09:57 PM »
The longer I'm on this site, the more stuff I buy because I figure it's needed, or will catch me more fish, so the more stuff I carry/drag/pull out to the fishing areas.  I remember the good old days when I knew almost nothing about ice fishing, and all I took out was a bucket with a couple of stripped-down spinning rods, and a 6" hand auger..........Hmmmm.. ..my catch ratio hasn't really increased THAT much.....
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2005, 10:32 PM »
 I always have the jet sled, 5-7 rods, my hand auger, a rubbermaid with my tackle, 2 scoops, a bucket to sit on and put fish in, my aqua vu, a scale to weigh my monsters  ;), a tape measure, and an extra pair of gloves. BUT i also do bring the shanty, heater, pans to cook on, and other misc things sometimes.
Jason

Jeff Heiple

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2005, 02:14 AM »
Enough that I needed to buy a quad to haul my stuff out with me. I tend to go overboard with the gear (I don't think I do, my wife does however,....go figure ?). Electric or hand auger (depends on the ice thickness),Trap ProGraph, OVS camera, Coleman Focus 5 heater, Minnow bucket, Tackle case, 6 rods/reels, scoop, snacks/drinks, radio, gaff. In my rack bag on the quad are extras; propane cylinders (1 lb'ers), gloves/hats, bungies, rope (50 feet), ice cleats, extra scoop, couple of inexpensive jig rods, etc. I guess I like the "Be Prepared" if you need it factor.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Hear they Taste like Chicken
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2005, 07:06 AM »
As much stuff as I can drag, pull, or push on the ice they make all these things for our enjoyment just wish ice was thicker so  I could get the truck out there. then  would not have a worry!  I'd just fioll the bed in back up!!!!!!!!!!!!!  GaToRrrrr
Pull my Finger not my Leg

camo_fish

« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2005, 08:47 AM »
I bring a full sled sometimes 2.  :P Add shanty, food/cooking box, and extra clothes.  :o

I fell like a pack mule.  ;)

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2005, 12:28 PM »
I feel better about how much I bring. I wish I could bet rid of the 20lb tank. That's the biggest pig. I looked at the 5lb tank and the guy told me that they don't recommend the 5lb tanks with the heaters. The 20lb and the 1lb tanks are. He said that you only get about the same time as a 1lb tank. That seems weird. Anybody hear this? I don't want to keep using the 1lb disposable tanks and i'm not bold enough to refill them.

I would be interested to learn what he is basing his theory on.  Propane consumption is based on Thermo Dynamics principles and can be easily calculated with a few minor variables. Propane consumption is calculated using BTU/lb or BTU/Gallon rates, not tank size. Simple logic tells us that a larger tank will generate more BTU units, therefore making it last longer. One pound of propane will produce 21591 BTU. This means that if you are using a heater that is rated at 9000 BTU and you are using a 1# container your container will last approximately 2 1/2 hours. If you are using a 5# container at the same 9000 BTU rate your 5# container will last approximately 12 hours assuming conditions are equal. The only variables to this are ambient temperature, relative air pressure and fuel/air ratios but the BTU's produced will be affected accordingly. They make an 11# tank that fits comfortably in between the 5# and the 20#, but I would have no problem using a 5# as apposed to a 20# to cut down on weight and bulk depending on what you are running for appliances. Chances are, if you are using 1# tanks now and getting by, a 5# would be a good trade off, but this is just my opinion.... ;)2

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline worm_waster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2005, 01:29 PM »
I also take more and more stuff when I go out on the ice.  The Clam 2000, auger, vex, a few jigging rods, maybe a few tipups, Minnow bucket, a heater, propane lantern, extra propane, food, drinks, skimmer, tackle box, tape measure, and digital camera usually finds its way to the ice with me. 

As for a heater, my buddy runs a heater off a five pounder, and can get a full day plus, and its less than half the price of using disposable cylinders.w_w.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2005, 02:19 PM »
WAY TOO MUCH but its never enough! I get it from everyone about being the BOY SCOUT and always prepared and just figure it is me.
The other day my buddy got bait and the bait shop swiped his bait net. He came over and asked and was very surprised when I reached into my bag and produced an extra net.
Yep, I tote alot of useless stuff until someone needs it but I always have most of what I need except the help to carry it all.
Good thread!
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Foszey,
 You win:

The Hank Hill Golden Cylinder Award for Excellence In Propane Representation.

The Hank Hill Golden Cylinder Award for Excellence In Propane Representation. :thumbsup:
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2005, 04:43 PM »
And by the way, I always take, ALMOST enough stuff. :-\
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2005, 05:02 PM »
Foszey,
 You win:

The Hank Hill Golden Cylinder Award for Excellence In Propane Representation.

The Hank Hill Golden Cylinder Award for Excellence In Propane Representation. :thumbsup:
RG

Thank You!  :flex: Thank You Very MUCH!  :thumbsup:

Just trying to help..... ;)2

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2005, 05:33 PM »
We bring about 3 rods each, 3 tipups total (1 apiece), a power auger, a hand auger, a portable shanty (hunting blind), cooler with dead smelt, dead anchovies, waxworms, and nightcrawlers, 3 chairs, a couple gatorades, our vexilars, and a stringer.
We also each carry a pack that has a small tub of various lures, leatherman, headlight, fishing license, and radios in case we go apart to tell how the fishing is.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Seaduck

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perch taste great
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2005, 06:50 PM »
 :D Does it mean anything that every fall when I start loading my ice gear into my truck, the neighbors ask if I am moving?

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2005, 07:12 PM »
hand/power auger, bait, tipups, fishing stuff(mouth openers,pliers,gaff, ice scooper etc.) and bucket or green box for fish ;D

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline frozen stiff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2005, 07:39 PM »
portable shanty 5 poles gas auger 2-5 gal bucket's heater with 10lb tank old tv tray for a table 50ft of rope.     [hope i never have to use it] snacks gear ice scoper bait atv ice picks whistle. oh ya my sons ;D

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2005, 11:27 PM »
Great Topic!

I started out ice fishing with a Jet Sled Jr., an 8 inch hand auger, two jigging rods, assortment of jigs, bait bucket, 5 gallon bucket (seat) and a nerf football.

Now..............A medium Otter sled filled with a 3HP Jiffy Gas Auger or 6 inch Nils Master, two tripod chairs, Aqua vu, Vex, 5 jigging rods, lots more jigs, Mr. Buddy Heater, Bait Bucket, 5 gallon buckets (2), 10 or more tip ups (depending if the kids come), two scoops, a gaff, extra gloves, camera, GPS, Portable shanty, needlenose pliers, jaw spreaders (for the pike), headlight, tip downs, rod holders, rope, ice picks, ice tea, sandwiches, chips and of course...the nerf football.

Our plan this year is to pick a nice day and bring along the coleman stove and do alittle cookin! ;)

No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2005, 12:30 AM »
Went out this evening and didn't hold back too much. I think I was inspired by some of you to take whatever I want. I wasn't sure what was biting and didn't want to be caught without something. 10" of new snow made pulling the portable more difficult. Thank goodness for snowmobile tracks. I nearly died. I was worried that my wheezing would scare the fish. Once I took out the 20lb tank and the power auger, I could practically run across the ice with the rest. I'm not going to ditch the power auger, but I'm definately going to downsize the propane tank. That way I can run the lantern and the heater off the same tank. A 1lb tank only gives me about 5 hours of light with my lantern. My single mantle one was better, but I lost the top down the hole last week. I also noticed how heavy the built in seat is with my Frabill. It's a great idea, but way too heavy. Maybe just a bench seat like the eskimos.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2005, 02:05 PM »
I have been bringing out more and mre it seems as of late.
5 tilts, 2 chairs, 3 scoups, 1 jigging rod, 1 tackle box, 1 bait bucket, 2  five gallon buckets, 1 hand auger, 1 gas auger, extra clothing, 1 dog, dog treats. Working on a grille and new batteries for radio, I know I am forgetting a few other items.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2005, 02:34 PM »
I only take enough stuff so that I can enjoy myself  :o
        Jim

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2005, 02:51 PM »
For me it depends on if i can drive out or if i have to walk out being to much snow on lake to drive

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.