Author Topic: WOW!! nice anchors  (Read 5413 times)

Offline zoeconner

• IceShanty Rookie
WOW!! nice anchors
« on: Sep 27, 2011, 06:45 PM »

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
Re: WOW!! nice anchors
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2011, 07:00 PM »
Thats a pretty cool thing, only problem is if you cant get it back out of the hole. I dont want to grab it 15 inches down in the ice.

Offline zoeconner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Yea you can. You just pull the trigger and it closes back up.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2011, 07:21 PM »
I saw those a few weeks ago when placeing an order. I dont know (i guess they'll sell em). It says 6" and the teeth hold but real conditions will tell the story. At first it looked like something you would use if someone set up too close to you.....

Offline justfine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NOW THIS IS FUN!!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2011, 07:24 PM »
i have this style not as pricey but effective you don't need to go through the ice they pressure fit
HAPPINESS IS BLOOD ON THE ICE!!!!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2011, 07:40 PM »
Looks like a bear trap! Very agressive jaws. I thought about the ice angels but i have a 5" hand auger and they are made for 6" and up.
Fish on!

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2011, 08:13 PM »
nice stuff,  not creepy like a "saw" movie!  but still eeeefective!
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2011, 09:25 PM »
Looks like a bear trap! Very agressive jaws. I thought about the ice angels but i have a 5" hand auger and they are made for 6" and up.
Ill show your bear trap! There is a 30" one in the camp! And it looks mean!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:45 AM »
I have often thought of making a super strong version of this for pulling a stuck vehicle out with a chain or strap and a come along while out on a slippery lake. Like if you break through a slush spot and get stuck with no one else around.

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ^ Every good and perfect gift is from above.
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2011, 07:10 PM »
I have often thought of making a super strong version of this for pulling a stuck vehicle out with a chain or strap and a come along while out on a slippery lake. Like if you break through a slush spot and get stuck with no one else around.

That's what I was thinking. It would even work just to have a steel bar with some rope/ chain attatched to the middle, then a second line tied to one end then the main rope.. You drill right through the ice and drop it in to sit against the bottom of the ice. You use the line tied to the one end to get it out of the hole. Then you could use the winch on your quad or vehicle to get yourself out.
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” -Matthew 4:19

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2011, 07:40 PM »
I'm only replying so I can keep track of this thread.  @)

Got my first porty this summer....some eskimo anchors (hopefully I can install them lol) but always looking for new ideas! I'm hoping others will share their tie-down methods. Hint hint.

Those toothy things look good for a full day on the ice. I'd drill a couple of extra holes to keep from screaming down the lake.  :o

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2011, 07:43 PM »
Guinea you NEED some more ice anchors for your shanty which we know likes to fly away. Buy more than you need so you lose a few you still have some more.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2011, 07:49 PM »
Can't wait to try them out, I'm sure they'll hold even with the strong winds we get up here.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:06 PM »

Got my first porty this summer....some eskimo anchors (hopefully I can install them lol) but always looking for new ideas! I'm hoping others will share their tie-down methods. Hint hint.

Those toothy things look good for a full day on the ice. I'd drill a couple of extra holes to keep from screaming down the lake.  :o
I bought some used "ice climbing screws" on ebay. They screw in with a couple of fingers, come out easily and were inexpensive. They are getting more expensive as they catch on for ice fishing use. They also take up little room.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2011, 07:11 AM »
I bought some used "ice climbing screws" on ebay. They screw in with a couple of fingers, come out easily and were inexpensive. They are getting more expensive as they catch on for ice fishing use. They also take up little room.

No kidding.  I've been trying to get one specific type over the last six months that had been fairly economical up until the last couple of years.  I swear I'm bidding against the same folks when they come up and figure they're ice anglers...and the prices are now approaching those of the screws in favor by the ice climbing crowd.  Arggh.  We should have kept our traps shut. 
Chris Raymond

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2011, 07:54 AM »
I always just grab a bunch of tree limbs before I leave the shoreline and drill holes around whatever I need to tie down. Tie a rope in the middle of the stick, put it down the hole and pin the stick under the ice. Old school style- I'm sure all of you have done this.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #16 on: Sep 29, 2011, 08:24 AM »

The ones that came with my Eskimo quickfish are great. I have never needed anything more than those, came with plenty too. Simply poke them wherever and screw them in effortlessly. Same with removing them.

MTA

:icefish:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Sep 29, 2011, 09:03 AM »
Be glad you have Eskimo anchors. Clam makes a tool for a cordless drill to screw theirs in and some people drill a pilot hole to get their anchors to go in easier and others pound them in a bit with a hammer. The Eskimo anchors are easy to work with.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Sep 29, 2011, 09:06 AM »
No kidding.  I've been trying to get one specific type over the last six months that had been fairly economical up until the last couple of years.  I swear I'm bidding against the same folks when they come up and figure they're ice anglers...and the prices are now approaching those of the screws in favor by the ice climbing crowd.  Arggh.  We should have kept our traps shut.
I got a few used ones before the word got out and have checked the prices off and on since and they are getting to be nuts even for used ones.  :o

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #19 on: Sep 29, 2011, 09:12 AM »
I got a few used ones before the word got out and have checked the prices off and on since and they are getting to be nuts even for used ones.  :o

These are the ones I use. For some reason they don't look as tapered in the pics tho. No pre-drilling. But holy cow they are pricey. I think I got 8 of em included with my quickfish!

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2108966

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Sep 29, 2011, 09:17 AM »
These are the ones I use. For some reason they don't look as tapered in the pics tho. No pre-drilling. But holy cow they are pricey. I think I got 8 of em included with my quickfish!

I got eight of em with my Quickfish also. Worth the money in my opinion.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 29, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Those are the ones I just bought. Carrying around a cordless drill and keeping batteries charged just seemed like more things to remember and drag around. Glad to hear the good reviews!
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

surflizard

« Reply #22 on: Sep 29, 2011, 09:47 AM »
 :thumbsup: :whistle: :roflmao:

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2011, 04:48 PM »
My "Valhalla" was delivered in todays mail, and I can tell you, this thing looks awesome !

Those spring loaded grippers won't "back off" on those days where the wind is/is not blowing like the ice angel anchors will, these babies won't need that constant tension on the rope to hold them in place.

Quality on these is great, good and heavy duty, a nice finish on them as well.

I look forward to field testing them holding down my 3 man Frabill .

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2011, 05:33 PM »

The ones in the picture look like an older model. The ones that came with my shanty have a longer taper to them.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 03, 2011, 08:20 PM »
Came up with a nice idea for tying the rope to these anchors.

I use the "550 cord" because it's strong and light.

I bought a couple of those cheapie "snap links" at the hardware store and am going to attach this to the anchor itself and tie the cord to that.  It'll eliminate line chafing and possibly failure during windy conditions because of the larger, rounded diameter of the snap link.

I'm having straps sewn onto the shack in various places so I can attach a  couple anchor ropes higher on the portable itself, this'll allow me to keep the shack half open during windy but warmer days without having to rely on the metal brackets that hold to poles in the half open position.

Pics to follow once I get it all together...

Offline zoeconner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 16, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Hey guys, I need some more people to try these news anchors for this season. PM me!!

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #27 on: Oct 16, 2011, 09:02 PM »
I use something a little different, but are easy to install and remove
http://www.ultimateiceanchor.com/
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

rickl1968

« Reply #28 on: Oct 16, 2011, 09:13 PM »
I use something a little different, but are easy to install and remove
http://www.ultimateiceanchor.com/

Just like the ice anchors I use (just a different handle), Same as Dawg uses too, Ice anchors that the ice climbers use, I picked a couple up at a pawn shop for 5 bucks each!  :o

Offline zoeconner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 16, 2011, 10:26 PM »
Like I said. Pm me, I have a great deal for the 1st 10 people.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.