Author Topic: Humminbird Tom Mann Bird Trap  (Read 7571 times)

Offline alumabass

• IceShanty Rookie
Humminbird Tom Mann Bird Trap
« on: Sep 26, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Just picked up a working model, thought about just putting it in the basement for a little ice fishing decor, but then I thought that I may be able to use it on the ice.  Any tips on ice fishing with a unit like this?  I have a Marcum LX3, but I thought a blast from the past might be kind of cool on the ice one day!

Thanks-
Arlo

surflizard

Re: Humminbird Tom Mann Bird Trap
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Welcome to the shanty alumabass, glad to have ya aboard ! I'm not familar with the bird trap, is it a flasher or a fish finder sonar ?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2011, 06:56 PM »
Surf, it's a flasher. There is one that has never been used on ebay now with a starting bid of $9.99 and no bids yet.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2011, 08:03 AM »
I googled it and checked it out, if it has a transducer like the rest of the flashers out there, I think it would get the job done once you got used to reading it, it seems real close to resembling the older vex's.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2011, 09:37 AM »
It would probably be like fishing with the old "green box".

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2011, 10:01 AM »
It would probably be like fishing with the old "green box".

I still kick my self for getting rid of my old Ray Jefferson

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2011, 11:21 AM »
I still kick my self for getting rid of my old Ray Jefferson
My first flasher was a Ray Jefferson 120 or something like that. I bought it in about 1975 and it was pretty worthless in over forty feet of water. I see them on ebay quite often.

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2011, 11:27 AM »
My first flasher was a Ray Jefferson 120 or something like that. I bought it in about 1975 and it was pretty worthless in over forty feet of water. I see them on ebay quite often.

Probably around the same time I got mine. Thing is I rarely fish in water deeper that 30 ft and it worked great for me.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2011, 12:01 PM »
I lived in Colorado at the time and some of the lakes were pretty deep and the depth where I fished for Kokanee was the same depth that was the maximum for my RJ.

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2011, 10:34 PM »
I used the Birdtrap Super Thirty for many years with great success. They are much better than the old green box due to the power output is 600 watts. The original units used the old 6 volt spring top lantern batteries hooked in series, but when replaced with the present day 12 volt batteries now used these units come alive. I still own my original unit that I fitted with the newer battery and a custom made 8 degree transducer. I would stack this unit up against my Marcum lx-3 as far as accuracy anytime. Although the older units use only one color that makes interpretation a little more difficult they can be mastered over time. Not only do I have my original modified unit, but I also have 3 others that are still in the original condition. For a guy that doesn't want to spend the hundreds of dollars on the newer 3 color units these are the next best thing. I know that there will be some that will say that there is no way that the old units are any good, but I could prove them wrong with a comparison of the two. Not only can the modified unit shoot thru up to 2' of ice, but I can watch an ice jig with a minnow be dropped down to over 30' and see the flutter of the lively minnow. So it would be a real waste to put that unit of yours on the shelf because it can still catch you a ton of fish. 

Offline sd5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2011, 11:44 PM »
lightningz im new to the forum and cannot figure out how to pm you... got a question about the modified birdtrap transducer and the amps of the battery. Just bought myself a 60 and cannot get a good bottom reading unless the power is turned all the way up I'm using a 7 amp battery.

any help would be great,
                                             thanks

Offline Woodsman0311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:27 PM »
Hey guys,

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I just acquired and old TMH 60 and am looking for any information I can get on it. I will be retrofitting it for use on the ice (despite having none) this season.

Thanks for any input.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.