Author Topic: Waterproof Tackle Containers - Do they reduce RUSTY lures?  (Read 911 times)

Offline Sportsman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
After many seasons drying out my tackle so they dont rustso bad , so quick... I was wondering about the airtight boxes. Plano even has a guide series that is very durable?
When the metal lures are inside and warm - then cold and back again , condensation forms.  My question ....if you limit the air that comes in contact with the lures as they cool or warm...will condensation be reduced?  I tend to think so.
Do you have any practical experience using the airtight tackle containers?  Do they reduce tackle RUST? 
Sportsman

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Waterproof Tackle Containers - Do they reduce RUSTY lures?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2011, 12:10 PM »
In my experience, watertight/airtight containers actually increase problems with rusting.

You still get condensation inside when moving from cold to warm and with an airtight container, that moisture stays inside and causes rust. All the small boxes I have for storing ice fishing tackle have holes drilled in them to allow air circulation and moisture evaporation, this has all but eliminated my rusting problems.

Reducing sudden temperature changes also helps (don't bring cold tackle into a heated building).

My .02

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2011, 12:47 PM »
CZMark:

Great .02, as I have had similar experience in keeping my lures from rusting by ventilating their boxes and not changing containers from cold to warm areas.

Eagle Ed

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2011, 01:31 PM »
From what I have read on the subject from other posts, putting a wet jig into the box with the others when changing from one to another is a bad idea. Have a place for the used and unused and never reintroduce a jig until it is completely dry.
One more thing I have noticed is the places that fisherman keep the jigs in the summer or off season. The wet damp basement is a bad idea. Also depending on the area of the planet you live on, humidity levels are high enough to rust things in the garage or the house or where ever you place them. If other things on the work bench are rusted, it probably is not a good place to keep them. You could use an airtight container, but I would through in some desiccant packs to keep the moisture from destroying those expensive lures. Let us know what you discover.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline imfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2011, 07:22 PM »
i bought a single box made by flambeau at cabelas. It supposably has some sort of rust preventer in the dividers, not sure really how it works but it seems to do the job. Even the cheap eagle claw snelled hooks that we use for the cusk traps didnt rust in it. The only thing that i wonder about is if it puts any scent on the lures, but i guess a quick dip in some fish atractant would take care of that.

Offline Sportsman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2011, 10:29 AM »
In regular tackle boxes I have used large and small dessicant packages all winter long as a trial from a suggestion ...and there was no noticable difference.  I wonder of any difference with the packs inside an airtight container to eliminate or lower rust.  ? 

I figure most of the winter , the air is dry.  If the airtight container has dry cold air , then less rust right? (IDK)

I was wondering if anyone had more first hand knowledge here.
Drying out seems to be a chore I want to steamline
Sportsman

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2011, 02:52 PM »
i hang up all my lures at the end of the season.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2011, 09:14 PM »
Not going to use the waterproof containers for my lures.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.