The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Getting off the ice isn't always easy!  (Read 903 times)

Offline Easily Amused

• IceShanty Rookie
Getting off the ice isn't always easy!
« on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:14 AM »
A short tale...

Light and Variable and I decided to hit Shelburne Bay (via the Shelburne fishing access) yesterday afternoon to make a good attempt at jigging some Lake Trout. We'd intended to walk out, sleds in tow... Just as we were getting ready, a couple of guys came off the ice in their jeep and said getting on and off was easy and there was 16" of ice - so why not? We loaded the truck back up and away we went... A couple of good hours of fishing and moving around a bit to see if we could zero in on them... and with no luck and darkness coming on - we decided it was time to head back... As we approached the boat ramp we found a wall of snow in front of us - While we were out, the snowplow came by and cleaned up the parking lot - leaving a wall of snow in front of our access point... This is what you'd imagine it would be - 5' high, 14' wide and probably 8-10 ' thick! Well, we started calling (we had cell service!)... Started with Shelburne PD and they directed us to VT State Police... VT State police got a VTrans guy from Milton on the job for us - He cleaned us out and we were free - just 2 hours later! (We did get a little extra fishing in - if that's a consolation!)

- All you folks driving on at access points and with all this snow and plowing going on - keep this in mind - maybe a temporary sign at your access point will alert someone to the fact that there's some anglers on the ice and not to block them in...

Happy Fishing!

Easily Amused.

Offline iceholerVT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Getting off the ice isn't always easy!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:38 AM »
Thats funny, but I don't think my wife would buy it. :)

Offline Percheye101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:01 AM »
You would think that whoever was plowing would be smart enough not to plow the access to the ice in anyway!!

Offline Tlacey21walden

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:22 AM »
You would think that whoever was plowing would be smart enough not to plow the access to the ice in anyway!!

X2

But then again 

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2011, 01:47 PM »

Yah that ones a no brainer

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Must have thought it frozen they won't be launching any boats today ,let put the snow there!! ::)

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2011, 06:56 PM »
Yea! for Milton. Wonder why they couldn't get someone from Shelburne to come back out.
Anyway, hope it stays clear...I'm hoping to hit that access after work tomorrow.

Offline fish_B4_you_walk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Wow seems like deja-vu to me or at what would happen to me with my bad luck up here and the snow.  I had to get a tow truck to pull me out where I fell into a hidden crevise right off the side of the road where it looked to be the lake access point. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.