Author Topic: Off season VEX battery tending.  (Read 782 times)

Offline Weskimo1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Off season VEX battery tending.
« on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:37 AM »
Does anyone actually tend there flasher battery once a month in the off season? I planned on boxing it with both poles disconnected, and keeping it in a closet inside the house. Will it really cost me battery life to not tend it monthly?  I may use it off the dock for crappie in the spring, so it will get charged some.
                                                                                                    Thanks, Wes

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
Re: Off season VEX battery tending.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:46 AM »
Yes, it only takes a few minutes to do this. I don't always remember.I've had the same battery for 4 years. JMO>
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:51 AM »
I bought myfl18 brand new back in 05' and it is still on the original battery!! All I do is get it out and charge up once in the off season(september roughly) and put it back in the box till december... then I top it back off before my first outing of the season. Point is, You don't need to charge it every month, but charge it atleast once or twice in the off season.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:54 AM »
Each year I have good intentions of charging the battery in the office season.  I always forget to do so, so far I have not had an issue with a battery.  At the end of the season I fully charge the unit and keep the flasher in the basement, so maybe the constant temperature helps maintain its life.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:09 AM »
Do it monthly,or Risk needing to buy another Battery Next Season.....
I found out the Hard way....
This year I am Going to try and use on My Boat....

Happy Charging........

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:12 AM »
I do mine 2 times in the off season and get 4+ years or more out of them.  I also keep them in the basement where the temp is constant and that helps vs. somewhere where it gets warm then cooler at night.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2011, 04:25 PM »
I agree with wax worm I can get 4 years out of a battery doing a simple thing like a charge 1 time a month.
 Da-Roc

Offline splash

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Its how you thumb it that counts
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:52 PM »
have to agree with 66-just full charge at end of season,pull it out in nov. have always had at least 50%left on my vex.

splash

Offline taggedfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2011, 07:37 AM »
I got my fl8 in 02. I charge it when its put away for the summer and again when I get it out,battery still good last @ 10-12hrs on full charge

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2011, 07:47 AM »
I charge mine at the end of the season and once in mid summer,then the first time I go ice fishing.Then I follow the same program at the end of each trip,I let it warm up a couple of hours and then full charge it. I don't know if it's the record but my Vex is 10 old and I still have the original Battery.I fish and average of +20 times a year and they are 8 hour plus outings.

Offline Mr. gill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2011, 01:52 PM »
i have the same battery as it came with. i just put it up at the end of the year
and charge when i get ready to go it still works great.

Offline Weskimo1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2011, 08:44 AM »
Thanks guys, great info! I will probably go into it with good intentions, and hopefully I remember at least a hand full of time through out the off season.  Bummer hard waters gone, but watchout soft water here we come!  Best wishes to all on the upcoming soft water season.
                                                                                                Wes

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2011, 11:24 AM »
I keep mine plugged in all year I have auto shutoff chargers. Think one is called smart charger

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.