Author Topic: Bass lake picture 2/18/11  (Read 3373 times)

Offline icehoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Bass lake picture 2/18/11
« on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:08 AM »

OOOOOPS!!!!! just took this picture this morning!  I wonder if you can mount a trolling motor to it?

Offline bluegillmaster2011

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on!
Re: Bass lake picture 2/18/11
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:14 AM »
is that all the water on the ice?

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:47 AM »
is that a hardside shanty that fell thru?  I'm assuming that is thin slush on the ice?
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2011, 11:12 AM »
I hope he left the windows and doors open! What a great piece of crappie structure!!! :roflmao: :roflmao:

Steuben1

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2011, 12:01 PM »
The shanty was plywood. With all the warmth it probably melted the ice supporting it. This is what happens when they are left unattended all season. Happened last year, same thing out from the marina. DNR should write a ticket to name on shanty. Just my 2 cents. I called Keith the dnr rep. for Bass lake area. He told me that the ice is not to be trusted. I was going out Friday night for my last adventure. However, since I usually fish in the shallow water where the weeds are, the sun,sand,and shallow water are making it a NO GO FOR ME. Deeper water may still be safe. But who wants to fall in and be over their heads. Just my 2 cents.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2011, 12:33 PM »
wow, we got a shanty that went swimming and the thread "Bass lake Friday... is Ice safe?....hows the gill/eye bite?
" one guy said he drove his truck out on the ice down by the pumphouse Thur night. How can a lake vary so much?

Doubt the DNR will want to walk out and check the name on the shanty to ticket the owner. Ice around wood piers tend to go first so maybe thats why this shanty sank. Or just a guess, nothing to go on. But maybe since it was air tight the air on the inside got hot, warming the wood which melted the ice. If the owner had left the door/window open to keep the inside air cool it may not have sunk. Same as a small wood shed, when its air tight it will get warm inside when the suns out even i cold weather.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2011, 12:38 PM »
wow, we got a shanty that went swimming and the thread "Bass lake Friday... is Ice safe?....hows the gill/eye bite?
" one guy said he drove his truck out on the ice down by the pumphouse Thur night. How can a lake vary so much?

Doubt the DNR will want to walk out and check the name on the shanty to ticket the owner. Ice around wood piers tend to go first so maybe thats why this shanty sank. Or just a guess, nothing to go on. But maybe since it was air tight the air on the inside got hot, warming the wood which melted the ice. If the owner had left the door/window open to keep the inside air cool it may not have sunk. Same as your garage, leave the door open and the inside stays cooler, leave door closed and it will get hotter.
I am sure the drn has walked past this shanty more than once this season, my have already have the owners name. lmao

Offline stanton21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Ill be a nice guy and tell all you this..In 24 hours the ICE went SOUTH...THe lake has open water allready and the ice that was 14 inches is 7 inches with varation through out the north side is pushiung 4 inches of soft ice pump house still has good ice becuse its shaded most of the day..Hope this helps you this weekend...Not safe and its gong fast..With the rain for sunday its open water season early this year..

HAve a nice day

I'm standing right next to you and you don't even know it.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2011, 07:54 PM »
Thanks Stanton where u been all winter-lol
Looks like another great fish attractor to me-if empty and no pouloutants then all is safe.
I have seen fish structure they put in thats worse.
Tom

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Hey Stanton, how many 14" perch did you get this year off that midlake point at max. I didn't get out this yr much and only one time at Max.. If you don't remember me, I was the guy you talked to a couple 2 years ago, you stopped and showed me your big perch. That year I got allot of 10-12 hr/day of fishin in at Max. If I got the wrong guy, sorry bought that. The guy I am talking about also goose hunted out there.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2011, 08:09 PM »
The shanty was plywood. With all the warmth it probably melted the ice supporting it. This is what happens when they are left unattended all season. Happened last year, same thing out from the marina. DNR should write a ticket to name on shanty. Just my 2 cents. I called Keith the dnr rep. for Bass lake area. He told me that the ice is not to be trusted. I was going out Friday night for my last adventure. However, since I usually fish in the shallow water where the weeds are, the sun,sand,and shallow water are making it a NO GO FOR ME. Deeper water may still be safe. But who wants to fall in and be over their heads. Just my 2 cents.

Are you guys already losing your ice? ???

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2011, 08:15 PM »
It doesn't sound good for my area, hadn't got up to Bass lake this year. And it looks like the ice is done. Warm temps and the wind probably ate it up.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Hey Stanton, how many 14" perch did you get this year off that midlake point at max.

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2011, 05:52 AM »
Heres the Gig....that perm shanty is mine.  That shanty hasnt been "unattended all year". We used it plenty and used it less than 6 days ago. At that time we had 15 inches of solid ice but had to manuver thru the slush. I started a work gig at LTV steel doin 16 to 20 hrs a day, right after we fished it. Forcasted temperatures of highs MAYBE touchin 50 were WAY off. It hit 60 something a couple days in a row. Chris is correct... 15 inches of ice down to 4 inches of crap cake in 3-4 days. The DNR knows who I am and I have been contacted. A freak of weather deteriorated the ice like I have never seen in 35 yrs... There was an attempt to pull it out from a friend while I was on the job with an ATV....no way. I checked it last night and there is NO WAY. If I get fined so be it... believe me when I say I dont want to lose the time I invested nor the money in that shack. If I could get it out I would. Those who know me, know I am not lazy. happens and this time the weather got me... Dang Al, I didnt think you were quick to judge.

Offline blu ladune

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:25 AM »
There is is still unpacked unmelted snow in  some fields in Chesterton,and in backyrds. Hard to believe the ice is going before the snow. But I guess you'll have that.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:35 AM »
Sorry Slayer, may of spoken prematurely. I know the last 2 times on Bass there wasn't anyone fishing your shack. That thing had to weigh a ton. Isn't the water only about 5-6 feet there? Are you going to try to motor it to shore then you can launch a boat. If you could retrieve it the DNR should hopefully give you a pass. Good luck. I should be going out as soon as ice breaks. Pm me and I will help you. Al

Offline Shadrap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:40 AM »
Been there and can relate.  1990 first week in Feb had to do a chainsaw number. Not something worth risking your life over if by chance things do tighten up.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Your right slayer,this ice melt was not predictable at all.Anyone that reads your reports knows your not a lazy or inexsperienced fishermen(outdoorsman).You and abishop are two guys that provide useful info on this site and we thank you for it. Good luck and keep us lurkers informed.

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2011, 09:54 AM »
WOW that sux andy. I seen this post last night when i got home and was hopeing it wasnt u.
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Sorry about the shanty.   :(  Hopefully you can get it out with a couple boats and some help.  I agree, in 25+ yrs of ice fishing I have never seen 12+ of ice go to crap so fast.  I wonder if the mid winter thaw we had that pin holed alot of the ice had something to do with how fast it went.  What is left is almost sure to be shot after the rain / snow / sleet we are supposed to get tomorrow into Monday.

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2011, 11:45 AM »
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I always thought that the early removal rule for permanent ice shanties was a bit extreme.

Guess I was wrong. I figured that whoever was responsible for the shanty should have a few days after ice out to retrieve the shanty before fines set in.

I haven't checked but when are the permanent shanties suppossed to be off the ice?

Offline floppiecroppie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2011, 01:24 PM »
sorry bout your luck slayer, wouldnt wish that on anyone, ill help if i can! just let me know how.

Offline Moose416

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Take What You Need....Leave the Rest for Seed"
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2011, 01:51 PM »
Thought that was yours Andy.....  If I can help ley me know.   jake

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2011, 02:33 PM »
Sorry to hear about your shanty...Hope things work out for you.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline backus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 19, 2011, 10:15 PM »
by the way.......He is the MOST RESPECTED member on here........

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2011, 01:03 AM »
Per the regulations:  Ice shanties and portable shelters must be removed from public waters before ice-out. If used before Jan. 1 and after Feb. 15, all structures must be removed daily.

Regardless of who the owner is, whether it be a respected member here, a friend, or myself for that matter the owner had it coming by not following the law of getting it off the ice on Feb. 15.  With that said, I do hope it is able to be recoved and salvaged for future use.

We all make mistakes sometimes. This year We have seen some seasoned hardwater anglers fall thru the ice, wrecks vehicles, and now possibly lose a shanty.  None of these things were planned to go foul and were accidents. I dont think anyone { had it coming]

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2011, 08:30 AM »
Its hard to follow the law when mother nature will not allow it. The attempt to get it off was before the deadline of the 15th....

Regardless...I appreciate the words and offers of help. I believe if we freeze enough to even get out there, it would be too dangerous to chip it out, or chain saw it out.  I own two boats, one big enough to retrieve/tow it out come warmer weather...an option maybe. That may prove to be too difficult. Its my understanding that 60 yards away is open water. Again, thanks...

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2011, 09:17 AM »
went out last night north of the border, same thing happened to a shanty up there to

Offline Moose416

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Take What You Need....Leave the Rest for Seed"
« Reply #28 on: Feb 20, 2011, 09:20 AM »
Looks like you will have to wait to get the boat to it.  I had one go down years ago up North in a freak warm-up spell.  I ended up taking my small generator in the boat with a portable air compressor. Placed about 6 truck tire inner tubes inside and inflated them. It brought it up high enough that I could pull it through the shallow water to get it out.  jake

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 20, 2011, 11:08 AM »
Elkhart, I think, has a dive club that could help you. The DNR could have a list of recovery dive teams that could help.

Also your local EMS team may have a recovery list.

Hope this helps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.