Author Topic: herd alot about jigging togue  (Read 2587 times)

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
herd alot about jigging togue
« on: Feb 09, 2011, 12:45 PM »
ok so iv herd alot about jigging togue. and have no clue on where to start for jigs or bait or anything? any help would be awsome
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
Re: herd alot about jigging togue
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2011, 12:52 PM »
Community | Help | Search | Profile | Logout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2011, 12:57 PM »
X2 X3 X4  ::)

alright alright....... iv been gone for a week or so i figured you guys woula missed my stupid questions :P :P ;D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2011, 01:06 PM »
Guess you figured wrong once again...You seam smart enough to figure this out...There is allot of common sense that goes with fishing....Fish don't go to college and take a (How to out smart human courses).. GL

the big ones must;p thats the only way they get big:P

Offline BSullivan2350

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2011, 01:06 PM »
Guess you figured wrong once again...You seam smart enough to figure this out...There is allot of common sense that goes with fishing....Fish don't go to college and take a (How to out smart human courses).. GL
:clap:

"It is impossible to grow weary of a sport that is never the same on any two days of the year." --Theodore Gordon

Offline togueking22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Airplane jigs, leadfish, swedish pimples, laker takers. Start there.

20 plus feet of water usually. Exceptions always exist.

Smelt are best on tip-ups...especially big jack smelts. I've caught many on shiners and suckers though.
Vary depths and try 1 or 2 traps with dead bait.
Fish close to bottom.

Your best bet to figuring togue fishing out is trial and error. Try a lake that is overpopulated with them until you get the hang of things.

Offline pumba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2011, 03:12 PM »
ive never even heard of togue before.

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2011, 03:18 PM »
since you arent from here, a togue is a lake trout.
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Wow Tough crowd today. lol I guess I wait to ask for GPS coordinates to any Honey holes out there. ;) ;)

Offline trucker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:43 PM »
Airplane jigs, leadfish, swedish pimples, laker takers. Start there.

20 plus feet of water usually. Exceptions always exist.

Smelt are best on tip-ups...especially big jack smelts. I've caught many on shiners and suckers though.
Vary depths and try 1 or 2 traps with dead bait.
Fish close to bottom.

Your best bet to figuring togue fishing out is trial and error. Try a lake that is overpopulated with them until you get the hang of things.
see that is what this site use to be like you ask for help you get it now a days on this site you ask for help and you get crapped out of 10 and 1 who helps
Hang out with the kids or go fishing......Can I take the kids out fishing?

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:44 PM »
see that is what this site use to be like you ask for help you get it now a days on this site you ask for help and you get crapped out of 10 and 1 who helps

agreed
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:47 PM »
X2

Offline trucker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:50 PM »
X2

Thanks glad to see some of you also notice
Hang out with the kids or go fishing......Can I take the kids out fishing?

Offline doo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:55 PM »

Spoken like a true sportsman,

1. Try to find an ice shanty board in another state where there is the species you are trying to catch
2. Post your question.
3. Hope they are more respectful and helpful than here

Offline kezarking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2011, 06:00 PM »
ooooooooooo boy here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2011, 06:28 PM »
togueking22 gave you some great information.  That, along with a search, should get you to where you can have some success.  Time on the water will improve that.   Take a look at what a majority of others recommend and pick up a couple.  As $$ and your experience increases you'll have your own thoughts and want to try different things.  I have always felt the time to really experiment and learn is when the fish are really chewing hard.  That way you know how they like a certain lure and what action you can impart that triggers a hit.  It is much harder, in my opinion, when they aren't eating.

While you didn't ask, don't be afraid to jig through the entire water column.  Togue can be anywhere, and oftentimes on cloudy, snowy days will be right under the ice.  If you can also set some tipups at different depths you can narrow things down. As someone else mentioned find a lake stuffed with them.  Certainly the upside of fishing where they live is that there is no downside.

Good luck.

Also, don't forget to look at some soft plastics and an assortment of jig heads. ;)
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2011, 12:40 AM »
Back when I was a youngsta people use to tell me that fishin for Bass was trash fishin damed elitists, then at 10 years old I just decided to tell them to F off I couldn't even use the word then, momma would have washed my mouth out with a wet bar of soap, but I grew up and realized that hey I knew how to fish for more kinds of fish than they did. My favorite fishin is native Brookies and because I drag my butt through brambles and alders and beaver dams for 6" fish that other people wouldn't even roll out of bed for I'm no better than they are.  I still love to fish for any kind of fish and maybe I don't post a lot and I've been one of those damned lurkers for 3 years with only 40 or so posts but at least I am a grown up not from my age but from my attitude. Oh yeah I know how to spell sometimes I choose not too. Now about jiggin for Togue, airplane jigs bouncin the silt on the bottom with a few traps close by with smelts and suckers maybe even with their guts hangin out can generate some action. Try it you'll like it maybe. Man some of these guys get my rantin and ravin goin. 
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:37 AM »
Get some basic jigs and go try a good lake.  Lakers are really fun to jig.  They are usually aggresive and ready to bite.  One of the guys fishing with me has been having really good luck on a small white bucktail jig.  Just a plain old lead head jig with some cut bait on it will also get em.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:40 AM »
Air Plane Jig and a piece of cut bait (sea smelt) on the tail end!!!  Work the bottom!!

Offline thessalaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Howdy
Start with 4 or 5 basic spoons, William whitefish, Little Cleo, Mooselook, Williams wabler, Lucky Strike Canoe spoon, swedish pimple. Also, white tube jigs are good - and put a stinger hook on them.  Pick a couple of colours in each one, some in white, some in silver, and go for the 4-7" sizes.  pimples and cleos will be a little smaller.  I always start with a big lure, canoe or whitefish, and go back to it every 2nd or 3rd lure switch.
you can tip with smelt heads - torn off not cut off (better scent dispersion), or minnow heads, or you can just jig the spoon with nothing on it.  i personally almost never tip my spoons
get a good medium or MH rod, 32-26", a quality 20lb ice braid line, and use a 2' floro 20lb leader with a snap swivel.
I prefer medium depth water - 20-60 feet, with personal preference for 25-30 ft.  Any fish in there is feeding.
if fishing 40+ ft, fish from top to bottom, concentrating on 15-20 ft down. but be sure to cover the entire water column.
bounce your spoon/tube off bottom every now and then, and be sure to jig with alternating patterns, frequency and lengths. pause frequently.
when fishing in shallow water, or 20 ft down, be prepared for vicious strikes, and you have no give with braided line, so it will feel like a freight train.  Thus the use of a medium action longer rod.
the other tip i can give you, is to make sure to bring your fish up as slowly, within reason.  i see lots of folks ripping fish up way too fast, which all too often causes the fish to throw the hook right below the hole with a strong headshake. take your time, enjoy the fight.  Ease their heads into the hole, and start him out slowly.  dont rip them out.
that oughta do it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.