Author Topic: Artic Armor Suit  (Read 4658 times)

Offline muffin man

• Team IceShanty Regular
Artic Armor Suit
« on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:38 PM »
Does anyone have a problem with the bibs leaking? I am plowing with an atv and the seat of the bibs gets soaked.  ???

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
Re: Artic Armor Suit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:44 PM »
Check the IDI site, they have the Nik Wax spray to rewaterproof your suit... Scotchguard spray will work as well.

It sounds like you sit on your butt too much and have worn off the waterproofing in the rear. ;)
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline muffin man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Well I just bought the suit 3 weeks ago so there goes that theory!  I plowed my driveway while it was snowing and in the rain and got the crotch area wet both times.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:56 PM »
Maybe you should consider wearing a pair of depends underneath??? j/k ;)

... but seriously, try the nick wax spray or scotchguard... you may just need a little more protection "down there".
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:06 PM »
Probably a dub question but its not sweat is it? Theses suits dont breath at all so if you start sweating it could get damp quick, I dont even put my suit on until I get to the lake to avoid sweating.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline muffin man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:26 PM »
Depends!!!!! I'm not that old. I do sweat in the bibs but not like this. I'm going to ask IDI gear. Thanks for the help/humor

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Muffin man, I had the same problem with mine after an all day fishing trip. Got home took them off and my wife said something to the fact that "did I wet myself" so it very well could be perspiration.

Offline willfish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:06 PM »
that's my guess too...I don't even know i'm perspiring and there's condensation all through the suit.

It's not a lack of waterproofing IMO

Offline Sarbinator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:34 AM »
mine seemed wet too its condensation not leaking.... 
I wasnt near wet or snow wearing them it was cold though and they were damp so...

Offline muffin man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:12 PM »
Well I called the company and thet were very helpfull with information. Their answer is...... It's not a rainsuit. I was assured that it was my sweat. I say bull***t. Tha amount of water in my bibs was like i poured a pint of water in them. I asked the same question of a fishing pro. The answer was they leak. You can buy a can of silicone spray for tent waterproofing and douse the suit. IDI does sell a can to do the same however the contents is not enough to cover the entire suit. In speaking with the company spokesman, he assured me that the suit cannot leak and it is sweat and the reason was because I was wearing it in above freezing weather which could make sense. Either way, I love the suit. I will spray it to be leakproof and if I sweat my b***s off then so be it.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:24 PM »
I have the Arctic Armor jacket I rarely wear because of sweating in the arms. I'll only use the jacket early season or late season and I don't do alot in it like chopping holes with it on.

Don't really like it. Gotta do some modifications to it, zip pits and beefier main zipper.

JIGGIN.

Offline Chip D.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2011, 07:25 AM »
Mine hasn't leaked ... YET.  We use them mostly for cold weather fishing on the Chesapeake for Stripers.

Every person I know that owns them complains for leaking and some get soaked in the rain.  IDI claims waterproof but thats not true.

Also - the snaps rust after a while.

Still a great suit.  I'm planning on adding a fresh coating of NIK Wax to mine.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:03 AM »
The IDI site had the spray on Nik wax and Nik wax Tech Wash for cleaning and maintaining you AA suit.

http://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor1.php

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:13 AM »
Sounds to me like for the price you would be a lot better off getting some really good long underwear and a gore tex bib and pants like guide wear. That way you can adjust the under clothing to the temperature, much like I do for deer hunting. Because you never know what the outside temperature will be for that day you can take off or put on and still have the water proof and breathable (won't get the sweat build up) gore tex.

Offline Chip D.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:18 AM »
Don't forget - AA does have flotation properties.  Most others don't.  That was the main reason I bought it.

It is very warm.  If you get too hot just unzip the jacket. 

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:24 AM »
Sounds to me like for the price you would be a lot better off getting some really good long underwear and a gore tex bib and pants like guide wear. That way you can adjust the under clothing to the temperature, much like I do for deer hunting. Because you never know what the outside temperature will be for that day you can take off or put on and still have the water proof and breathable (won't get the sweat build up) gore tex.

Yes Erik, we know you're an AA hater. ;)

... but all you have to do is put one of these suits on to fall in love with it. ;D

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:40 AM »

Any cotton long underwear is REALLY BAD choice under any ice suit. Good underwear is "basewear", the likes of UnderArmor, is what you NEED to wear in this suit. UnderArmor is made to wick the sweat away from your skin. These suits (or any ice suit for that matter) will not breath, and if you do something to break a sweat you will be chilled if there is no way to get this moisture away from your skin. Over the basewear you need to dress in layers for the weather and task. Often times it will become necessary unzip the jacket to cool yourself down. 

Bruster

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2011, 11:36 AM »
Never had mine leak and I am on the 5th season with them. I am a bucket sitter/ice kneeler and have never had a problem.

Make sure that you are not wearing to many or the wrong kind of layer (cotton kills) so you are not getting condensation and/or sweat.

J-

Offline the_mad_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:00 PM »
never had a leak with mine and BTW erick, I never worry about drounding in my treestand.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:05 PM »
Mine don't leak they sweat if I wear too much or do too much activity.

Offline muffin man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2011, 06:03 AM »
What do most of you wear under the suit?

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2011, 06:09 AM »
I wear a pair of long john bottoms, long john top, a flannel shirt, and sometimes a vest.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2011, 01:53 PM »

All natural here its to hot for anything

Offline finzandpigskinz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2011, 10:17 PM »
I just took both the bib and jacket back today.  The jacket wore out on the inside to the point were the insulation was showing.  It was from the velcro on the bib, it wore it out even though the bib pocket was closed.  Also the first day I had the jacket a button fell off.  The stitching that holds the straps together on the bib also fell apart.  I loved the jacket until it fell apart.  It gets down to -50 celcius here and I would sweat shovelling snow with it on.  I wasn't happy with the durability, usually you get what you pay for and this was not the case for me with this suit.  I hope they fix the quality control issues as well as maybe add another layer of material to the bottom of the jacket that doesn't stick to velcro.  Anyone else notice their jacket wearing on the inside at the bottom were it would meet the bib pocket?

Later

Offline grubdropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:52 PM »
I just took both the bib and jacket back today.  The jacket wore out on the inside to the point were the insulation was showing.  It was from the velcro on the bib, it wore it out even though the bib pocket was closed.  Also the first day I had the jacket a button fell off.  The stitching that holds the straps together on the bib also fell apart.  I loved the jacket until it fell apart.  It gets down to -50 celcius here and I would sweat shovelling snow with it on.  I wasn't happy with the durability, usually you get what you pay for and this was not the case for me with this suit.  I hope they fix the quality control issues as well as maybe add another layer of material to the bottom of the jacket that doesn't stick to velcro.  Anyone else notice their jacket wearing on the inside at the bottom were it would meet the bib pocket?

Later
I have the same problem with the jacket wearing out on the bottom inside.  I was thinking of putting duck tape over where it is wearing out on the inside before the insultion starts to come out.  I jusy bought it and have only used it 5 times.
anyone else have this problem???

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:05 PM »
I wear just insulated UW under the bibs and a flannel shirt, light weight down vest and an insulated flannel shirt under the coat when it is really cold. I find it very warm and wind proof. I haven't noticed any excess wear on either the bibs or coat but it was new this year and I will judge it after a couple of years.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 11, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Does anyone have a problem with the bibs leaking? I am plowing with an atv and the seat of the bibs gets soaked.  ???
Mine too !!!

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Mar 11, 2011, 11:17 AM »

Later

I have the same issue with my bibs the very first time I put it on ......Now the pocket ripped from the coat the 3 rd time wearing it.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2011, 02:10 PM »

Later
              I received a new Arctic Armor suit for Xmas & very disappointed.In myopinion is poor quality and not very durable product... I was excited to get this product due to the reviews and So you can imagine my dispare when the first time I slipped the suspenders over my shoulders I heard a rip !!!! The stitching ripped in the criss cross area .... My wife couldn't beleive it... Oh well !!! The third time I worn my suit I was reaching into my lower Jacket pocket with my bare hand to get my hanky & felt & heard the pocket where it's sewn to the jacket area rip !!!  I couldn't beleive that a 400 hundred doallar suit wouldn't be more durable... Anyway,I e-mailed the company last week & didn't get a response so , Called them today. Talked with customer service guy & tried to explain my problem & he kept saying He  never heard of a problem with the suspenders and how it was my fault & me stressing them. I told him it happened on my first time trying it on..I then went on to tell him about the jacket pocket ripping at the area where the pocket is sewn to the jacket.. He again blamed me & says it's not their problem. When I told him I didn't feel I was getting anywhere with him & did he have somebody else to let handle the situation he blew off the handle at me...I asked him to spell his last name & he really got upset  & I could hear him yelling to somebody else and telling another guy I was trying to get a new suit... I never got the chance to tell him what I wanted !!! Anyway ,Another man takes my call & right away starts telling me I must have stressed the suit and on & on ... I tried to explain what happened to the coat and he kept interuping & talking over me & how I wasn't getting a new suit from them ... He kept telling me he's never had a complaint about anything ripping on their suits & how I must have ripped it on something or really stressed it & went on about his 2,000 dollar pants that he ripped & on & on. I told him he couldn't compare my problem with his & his problem wasn't related to their product.. He told me I was right & he didn't care about my problem either...My problem was my problem. I told him I didn't think that was very professional of a VP of operations to act & maybe he shouldn't be dealing with the public... Everytime I tried to talk he continued to interupt & tell me I was just trying to get a new suit & that wasn't happening. When I asked his name & correct spelling He refused to repeat it & when I asked him if he was refusing he said YES !!! I told him I would have to post my experience & that's when he threatened me with their legal dept. & assured me that if I posted a negative they would go after me. I told him I obviously was wasting my time & his and hung up....To overt any legal action let me say, In MY OPINION , I feel that the suit I took ownership of proved less than durable and shouldn't have ripped the first & 3 rd times out & I'll also say the way I was treated on the phone was in MY OPINION rude & obnoxious and unbecoming of a VP of operations. I know I'll never buy another thing from this outfit not because of the product but, Due to the way I was treated regarding my customer complaint.

Offline Mustang_

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Jack, your story mirrors the same as mine when I called about the Reflective strip peeling. Very poor customer service in my opinion.
I

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.