The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Willoughby Burbot  (Read 3008 times)

Offline fishinaround

• Team IceShanty Regular
Willoughby Burbot
« on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:33 PM »
My understanding is that it is early for burbot, however, has anyone caught any yet. A friend of mine and I are looking to head to Willoughby for them on friday night. Any suggestions? Thanks.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Willoughby Burbot
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:54 AM »
My understanding is that it is early for burbot, however, has anyone caught any yet. A friend of mine and I are looking to head to Willoughby for them on friday night. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I watched an in fisherman segment yesterday, they were catchin them in shallow rock, sand flats.  Ive never done it personally though.

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline ifslob28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:25 AM »
I watched a VT Outdoors show where they were fishing at Willoughby not far from the launch and putting shiners on the bottom for burbot.  They were catching them really good there but not sure what time of year it was.

Offline Magog Landshark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:13 AM »
In my youth we used to spend the night in a shanty on Willoughby.  the only thing we caught sun down to sun up was Cusk on a dead smelt on the bottom 50- 70 fow.  Big long thick ones that would wrap around your forearm when you picked them up out of the hole.  Poor Mans lobstah.
Farewell and adieu, to you fair spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've just received orders, for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore, shall we see you again.
-Quint

Offline mikefishon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:44 AM »
burbot and cusk are the same fish aint they

Offline ifslob28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:50 AM »
yes, burbot, cusk, eel pout, lawyer fish, fresh water cod all one and the same.

Offline trout slayer 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:02 PM »
me and my buddie burbot fish alot and all u need is some dead bait could be even chunks of smelt and fish bottom from 10ft of water to 70ft and ull have atleast 5-10 flags a night
aka halfrack23 willoughby lake

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:42 PM »
I watched an in fisherman segment yesterday, they were catchin them in shallow rock, sand flats.  Ive never done it personally though.
what station was this on? i have the outdoors channel and they haven't show in fisherman in a couple years. even thought they are all re-runs i still like to watch them

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:55 PM »
It was sportsmans channel.  I have dish network so its channel 395.  Doug stangie is an airhead but its a good show. 

Offline DunmoreFAn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2011, 05:47 PM »
i believe it is 172 on Comcast..... LOL i work for the company and dont even know what channel it is one.....but either way it is pretty close to 172!
Fishin Ain't easy but it's better than work

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2011, 05:51 PM »
I got one the other night about 4.5lbs. On champlain though

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2011, 05:52 PM »
I got one the other night about 4.5lbs. On champlain though

Would you happen to have a picture of it?

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:47 PM »
sportsman channel on comcast is 178.  I DVR every Ice fishing show that I can to watch.  In fisherman is ok but Doug Stange is really getting to me, wish he know what a 15 lb fish actually felt like
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2011, 03:22 AM »
sportsman channel on comcast is 178.  I DVR every Ice fishing show that I can to watch.  In fisherman is ok but Doug Stange is really getting to me, wish he know what a 15 lb fish actually felt like
of course he does, they're all 15 pounds :clap:

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:35 AM »
me and my buddie burbot fish alot and all u need is some dead bait could be even chunks of smelt and fish bottom from 10ft of water to 70ft and ull have atleast 5-10 flags a night
    Do you fish Magog for them Also you ever set tip ups on Pensioner.s Pond and if you did what did you catch.    I caught some nice perch there this past summer and a good bass also had a pickerel destory a foam bobber

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:48 AM »

Everything seem to be "a twenty pounder"  "O id say that one will go twenty four."  He say that aboutan eight to ten pound fish.

Offline trout slayer 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:02 AM »
    Do you fish Magog for them Also you ever set tip ups on Pensioner.s Pond and if you did what did you catch.    I caught some nice perch there this past summer and a good bass also had a pickerel destory a foam bobber
there's a ton of pickerel on pensioner unfortunately the inlet end where the good fishing is had collapsed yesterday i got wet to say the least but as far as bur-bot on Magog or pensioner idk never night fished them just echo Seymour and willoghby

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:28 AM »
Poor mans LOBSTA !!!!  AMEN.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2011, 09:16 AM »
were they fishin' at night? always wanted to catch one - herd they taste like cod!

No they were fishing during the fishing with jigs with blades and a piece of cisco on the hook

Offline fishinaround

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:39 AM »
Just to update. We got 7  Burbot, lost one, let one go. One nice one and the rest were kinda small.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline fishinaround

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2011, 01:58 PM »
one was probably 20 inches or so, the others were between 14-16. ended up with a couple pounds of meat!

Offline trout slayer 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2011, 03:04 PM »
one was probably 20 inches or so, the others were between 14-16. ended up with a couple pounds of meat!
well thats good atleast u didnt get skunked

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2011, 04:50 PM »
 I also had some luck caught 6/7 and lost a few in a few hours, They taste great and are good kissers,

Offline stubborn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:54 AM »
Way to go Shire!  Good for you guys.  Thanks for the post and the pic. 
I fish better Hungry.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.