Author Topic: Katapwa  (Read 9467 times)

Offline amatue

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Katapwa
« Reply #60 on: Feb 17, 2011, 01:55 PM »
I would use meal worms or wax worms. There is many factors in getting the light biters. Light line or light rod  or just plain technique.

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #61 on: Feb 17, 2011, 02:07 PM »
try hooking your minnow head right threw both eyes ::)
Also make sure you dont buy old crappy minnows. They tend to be mushy and very easily stolen. Make sure they look fresh and not like they have been refrozen and unthawed multiple times in shipping.

Offline Uzo/21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Feb 17, 2011, 03:00 PM »
I would try perch eyeballs, or use only half a minnow. Sometimes the smaller guys can be real thieves but it will be harder for them to rob you if you use smaller bait. The perch eyes especially stay on well. You can often fish a whole day on the same eyeball.

Thanks for the tips....I only use the head as a rule....never tried meal worms or night crawlers or anything deluxe like that....the perch eyes do work better but they don't spank em as hard as the minnows.....and yesterday even the eyes were being snagged.......I think it's just inexperience more than anything.....lol.

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #63 on: Feb 17, 2011, 03:22 PM »
I tend to have similar success on eyeballs and minnows.

The trick with the eyeballs to get them to stay on is to put the hook through the center of the pupil, and out directly through the back side. You will still lose the odd one here or there, but not very often.

Are you using barbless hooks?

Good luck!

Offline amatue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 17, 2011, 03:59 PM »
Was at Echo on Monday. Do not have trouble getting the light biters. Tried minnow heads..small fry gulp alive..perch eyes... and trout eggs..None came even close to meal worms. Did not have wax worms or maggots suspect they would work also. But bait only will not do the trick if your presentation is not what the fish is after. You can hook a minnow head or perch eye as many ways possible but mostly it is detecting the bite that gets the fish.

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 25, 2011, 11:49 AM »
Whos all heading to Katepwa this weekend? If anybody has two-ways ill be on channel 20 all day with a few other anglers to mingle and brag or just bullplop around!

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #66 on: Feb 25, 2011, 02:53 PM »
I'll put them on channel 20 and listen for you spoon. I should be out there.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #67 on: Feb 25, 2011, 03:31 PM »
Can a person buy mealworms, wax worms or maggots in the Fort?

WW

Offline fatleroy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 25, 2011, 03:58 PM »
robo sales mohawk/husky usually has open at 7:00 am also the shell

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Mar 04, 2011, 08:13 AM »
fished 12-5 got tons of perch, way to many tullabye, 2 pike, a dog and 3 eyes. 2 of the eyes came from 51 feet

Offline fishjn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Mar 04, 2011, 07:47 PM »
anyone know if there is going to be a durby there this year???always was in front of the bar on the point about this time of year.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #71 on: Mar 04, 2011, 08:38 PM »
anyone know if there is going to be a durby there this year???always was in front of the bar on the point about this time of year.
March 13 , breakfast 9-11:30.  Fishing starts at noon and ends at 3:00.  :icefish: Google it!

Offline treeplucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Mar 11, 2011, 03:16 PM »
had a good season on Katepwa this winter, and also kept some of the whitetail deer feed , the deer have been raiding my gut pail and eating the perch skins and heads eggs etc. has anyone else seen deer eat fish? ???

Offline PIKEARTILLERY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:11 AM »
heading out to the lake today caught a 10lb jack last weekend hopefully i can top that one by anoth 10 lbs haha fishing has been slow for walleye , perch no prob hammereing alot of small ones but do catch the odd 1lb perch lots of tullibies, went fishing on lml caught alot of eyes in 40 feet of water does any one no where the record walleye was just caught it was on the news last week somewhere in southern sask a guy from notre dame caught the walleye i think anybody know anything about this ?

Offline Frozenhole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Mar 12, 2011, 09:17 PM »
Was out today at the point from noon til 4 and was extremely slow.  Between 6 of us, we caught 10 perch, and not worth much keeping,  but it was super nice out there today.  It was nice to actually see the sun and no wind.

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Mar 12, 2011, 09:37 PM »
All i gotta say 6 pike all over 12lbs!! 3 of us

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #76 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:21 PM »
All i gotta say 6 pike all over 12lbs!! 3 of us
Save any for the derby tomorrow!!! ;D :thumbsup:

MikeMiller

« Reply #77 on: Mar 12, 2011, 11:50 PM »
hope to see you all at the derby tomorrow

Offline aredog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Mar 13, 2011, 07:02 PM »
how did the tourny go? any mosters?

what were prizes?

MikeMiller

« Reply #79 on: Mar 13, 2011, 08:31 PM »
my buddy came in first place cought a 3.2 pound pike he got 485 dollars maybe 100 people showed up a 14oz perch was cought for first only 2 pike cought and maybe 20 perch they had the derby from 3-6 feet of water was super gay i never had a bite all day

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Mar 16, 2011, 11:07 PM »
between yesterday and today i now have my first sun burn of the year. The pike were biting good when the sun came out. 5 yesterday and another 6 today.  Also to many perch to keep track of. 9 of 11 pike were over 10 lbs

Offline cdnb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Mar 17, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Eyecatcher, are you catching the pike on tipups or on a rod? What are you using for bait? I haven't had any luck with tipups and herring yet this year.

We usually fish echo but we fished katepwa on friday and my gf caught a 12 lb pike on her rod but that was it.

Thanks

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #82 on: Mar 17, 2011, 11:51 AM »
Eyecatcher, are you catching the pike on tipups or on a rod? What are you using for bait? I haven't had any luck with tipups and herring yet this year.

We usually fish echo but we fished katepwa on friday and my gf caught a 12 lb pike on her rod but that was it.

Thanks
Tipups and rods both work, my biggest pike have all been on herring this year (I prefer the green pack) but I have seen a couple nice ones on sardines and smelts as well.

Good success by the east boat launch / outlet river just off the highway to Indian Head and at Katepwa point area.

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Mar 18, 2011, 10:22 AM »
fished the last couple hours of light yesterday and got a bunch of perch and 3 more pike. Biggest was 38 inch. The pike have came on both rod and tip up. Most hit the mackeral but i got a bunch on sardines as well

Offline Uzo/21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Mar 18, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Was on the south side today......got stuck bad....real, real, bad.....very appreciate for the gentlemen who pulled me out eventually...tons of small perch....guy 20 yards away from me, that helped pull me out, caught a monster Pike...scale only went to 15 lbs I would guess 20 for sure....it was a pig......I think that is the last trip this year.....did not realize you can't get a tow truck to yank you off the ice......brutal experience.

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Mar 22, 2011, 10:08 AM »
Ill second that Uzo! Gotta love getting stuck in slush, then one u finally get out you have to pile into a 3 foot drift!! lucky the drift was a dry stuck! Scary stuff!

Offline Uzo/21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Mar 22, 2011, 01:27 PM »
It was dumb.... but I got on the ice and the truck had a mind of it's own.....every time I managed to clear the snow away the truck would sink and dig right in.....at one point I was in water above my ankles...and its wierd cuz u hear so many different things about vehicles on the ice....like 8 inches is more than enuf to support a truck....or u gotta watch for the current and water levels....what water levels and what currents?....I cant see crap except frozen lake and snow.....Ive heard of cracks and weak spots and not to drive close to where shacks were put....its all abit confusing  and Risky to a new guy .......it was all  just not a good feeling.....I thought for sure the truck was going down......my favorite line of the day was "we only went on the ice because we saw you on and thought u were fishing so we figured it was safe.....lol"..............I'm going out tomorrow..........but this time I'll walk it and get a different kind of exercise.

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Mar 22, 2011, 02:39 PM »
Ya ankle deep sounds about right! With zero visibility something was bound to happen sunday morning! Atleast the pike were biting! well sort of!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.