Author Topic: Zercom LCF 40  (Read 7121 times)

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
Zercom LCF 40
« on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:05 AM »
I am looking for my first flasher.... (on the cheap)

Anyone ever used a Zercom LCF 40? I fish in 30 FOW or less....

Thanks!

Offline chipster

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Zercom LCF 40
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:47 AM »
Zercom has been out of business for some time now.  I personally would look for a deal on a vex or marcum, that way you can get it worked on if need be!

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:38 AM »
Some people preferred the Zercom units to Vexilars, but its true that they are out of business.  (MarCum and Vexilar bought out Hondex, SiTex, Zercom, etc)

That said, if it is a good deal I would give it a shot.  They hold value and you can always upgrade later.

I don't think its out of the question to find an old FL8-SLT for $150 on Craigslist

Offline chopstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2011, 04:46 PM »
 I've got a clearwater water classic, works well, and i found out you can with alittle electronic work ,change
 out the transducer, adding a vex self leveling ducer.
 so far had no problems with the one i have, works great.
 2.5" seperation, if you can live with that. 200 kHz at 1000 watts power.
 Ran alittle test just to see if it's reading correctly, drop my aqua vue down, and watched , hook fish.
 it read alittle short, but fine tune the supperession and sensitivity and good to go.
 watching a crappie on the sonar and camera, both working together, excellent. \
 If you don't have the extra cash for a vex, the zercom will do.
If you count holes, YOU MUST BE A ROOKIE!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:26 AM »
Have a LCF-40 in front of me, I let my buddy use it. What questions do you have?

It works ok, will not mark a panfish jig, but will mark fish with the sensitivity all the way up. Has suppression instead of interference rejection, which is a joke. I fish next to him with a marcum and I can tune the 40 out with one push of IR, he can not tune me out. The iceducer with the green cord is not 200khz, it is only 170. the open water puck version is 200khz and is much better, more like a vex. Can see jigs at 20% sensitivity.

It is nothing like the zercom clear water series which are motor driven like a vexilar. This one is LCD readout and is not nearly as sensitive.

PM me if you have any questions.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2011, 01:20 PM »
Have a LCF-40 in front of me, I let my buddy use it. What questions do you have?

It works ok, will not mark a panfish jig, but will mark fish with the sensitivity all the way up. Has suppression instead of interference rejection, which is a joke. I fish next to him with a marcum and I can tune the 40 out with one push of IR, he can not tune me out. The iceducer with the green cord is not 200khz, it is only 170. the open water puck version is 200khz and is much better, more like a vex. Can see jigs at 20% sensitivity.

It is nothing like the zercom clear water series which are motor driven like a vexilar. This one is LCD readout and is not nearly as sensitive.

PM me if you have any questions.

I have seen the Clear Water and like it... Thanks for making up my mind... Save for a Vex!

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2011, 04:13 PM »
I ran one for years. If the transducer is level it WILL mark your panfish jigs. I fished good with the unit while I used it. Bought a vexilar though and never looked back. I own three now.

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:54 PM »
I ran one for years. If the transducer is level it WILL mark your panfish jigs. I fished good with the unit while I used it. Bought a vexilar though and never looked back. I own three now.

Then hook a brother up with a good deal on one of your extras!  ;D

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:45 PM »

I have tried everything and can not get mine to pick up anything smaller than a #10 or 8 genz worm. #12 and 16 tear drops and thin spoons will not show up in 10-12feet of water.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.