Author Topic: Dead stick and jigging  (Read 3763 times)

Offline 5 X Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dead stick and jigging
« on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:14 AM »
When one sets up, do you set up with both holes close enough to jig or one for jigging and one for dead sticking?  My buddy says that the reason he was getting nibbles on his dead stick was because he had his holes close together and the one jigging was the attractant.

What are your thoughts and techniques?

5 X MA

Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Re: Dead stick and jigging
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:17 AM »
i deadstick with a minnow on a jig. sometimes though, fish want a jig that isn't moving.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:24 AM »
Almost never get any action on a dead stick when targeting walleye on the lake. I do often punch two holes about five feet appart and jig both when fishing salties. Another trick is to put a rod across the top of a pail. I put some frozen slush under the pail so as that it wobbles back and forth. Can jig the rod with the tip of your boot and other rod more aggressively by hand. I do like live minnows though as they give the perfect movement with their struggles to get free. :)

FF 
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline mcdee

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • w
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:54 AM »
Two lines close together can be trouble. One rod can do it all, Rip and pause technique. Why risk loosing a master by putting down your rod for even a second. You guys know what I'm talking about  :whistle:

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Two lines close together can be trouble. One rod can do it all, Rip and pause technique. Why risk loosing a master by putting down your rod for even a second. You guys know what I'm talking about  :whistle:

A lot of times walleyes just don't want an agressive presentation. Some of the biggest hogs I've caught were the lightest biters. At times just cleaning the ice skim out of a deadstick hole is enought to trigger a hit. Smaller fish in the 1.5-2 pound range always seem to hit the hardest IMO. :)

FF  
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:19 AM »
this is what i use. ;D

T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Conkey20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2011, 05:41 PM »
i usually put two holes closer together, both inside the tent. Ill have a dead stick with minnow on one and something making lots of noise on my jigging rod, its a 50/50 draw what rod they hit once i see em on the sonar. Lots of the time they will just smack the deadstick. others will smash into the hard bait. Depends on the day.

Offline Dr.Funk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Deadsticking hasn't been successful at all for me this season.

Usually I'll drill a bunch of holes and set up one deadstick to start and I take the other rod from hole to hole and do some jigging, everyonce in a while I'll move the deadstick if it still produces nothing I will go back and forth between the too jigging them.

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2011, 09:07 AM »
50 -50 for me but like FF said all 3 ma this year were realy lite hits barely noticable and they were all on the deadstick. I also had a lot of fish come on the deadstick just after cleaning the holes. A few were right after someone drove by close which made the water fluctuate up and down in the hole

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2011, 10:16 AM »
50 -50 for me but like FF said all 3 ma this year were realy lite hits barely noticable and they were all on the deadstick. I also had a lot of fish come on the deadstick just after cleaning the holes. A few were right after someone drove by close which made the water fluctuate up and down in the hole
I use to have my 2 rods fairly far apart (to cover more area  ::) ) but too many times the fish were faster on stealing the bait then I was getting off my seat  >:( Being wiser in my old age, I learned that having both rods close at hand is the best way for me! A lot of successful icefishermen I've had the pleasure of watching over the years use this method. The only thing left for me to master is how to land both fish when I get a double  :woot:
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline snomad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:11 AM »
What I like to do is drill two holes about 3 feet apart.  Deadstick on the left in a good rod holder, jigging rod in the right one.  Flasher in the right side hole.  With a 19 degree transducer I can also drill a middle third hole and set up the flasher there and just be able to see both rigs.  If you have a wider beam transducer you could separate the holes a little more and still view both rigs.  I haven't had a tangle yet either with a fish or ripping a Target.  This year I am running about 50/50 on the rods, last year was almost exclusively the jigging rod.

Offline TURBO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:27 AM »
I drill 2 holes inside my QF3. In one I will put a dead stick (jig and salty) in the other I will use a Live Target, Chubbby Darter or Lindy Darter. I caught my MA walleye this year using this technique (hit the deadstick while I was jigging a swedish pimple) after reading a back issue of Outdoor Canada in which Gord Pyzer explained the technique. The fun in ice fishing for me is experimenting until I find what works!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.