Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Creek 12/31  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Kolby

• IceShanty Rookie
Big Creek 12/31
« on: Dec 31, 2004, 09:12 PM »
Fished the east side, middle third of the lake today, ice was 5 to 4 inches - in surprisingly good shape, drilled about 50 holes from 8 feet out to 40 feet around brush/rocks and roadbed area.  Hopped from hole to hole looking for the eyes.  Marked VERY FEW fish and raised maybe 5 marks.  Caught two of them (Crappies) on jigging rap and swedish pimple. Fished from 2:00 till Dark.  First time ice fishing this lake.  Thinking maybe I should have tried the upper end or lower end?  Anyone have any success on the eyes at this lake through the ice?  The area I fished looked PRIME on paper????? :'( :'( :'(

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
Re: Big Creek 12/31
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2005, 09:10 AM »
Well, I am on this lake as much as possible, and let me tell you that the eyes this summer got messed up as far as patterns go and so far this winter the "no pattern" pattern is holding true as well.  In my few outings out there so far I have iced 0/zero/nil/none/nada eyes....very odd as they used to hit you anywhere on the lake in packs at sunset.  I would focus more on the lower half on the lake if I really wanted to target eyes.  Unfortunately, a lot of them are out in the really deep stuff, which means that if you catch them you will kill them (swim bladders cant recover from coming up from that deep).  Structure in 18-20ft of water should do you ok, especially off some of the fingers and points south of the east boat ramp/handicap pier.  Sounds like you were on the old east roadbed?  That is wonderful on paper but during the winter just hasnt produced for me like it looks like it should.  Good luck...any more specifics and I will try to help.

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline Kolby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2005, 10:35 AM »
Thank you for the thoughts Goody, I noticed that deep, deep water in the lower end.  Fish may not be that deep, but it's in their back pocket if they want it.  I normally try to fish at the deepest 25 feet for the reasons you mention.  Left my Aqua-View in the truck and was to lazy to go get it and see what was going on down there.  I wonder if this lake has undergone some forage supply surges this last summer.  The Polk City bait shop guy said it's been "off" all year.  I know gizzard shad reproduce fast, especially in a soupy lake like Big Creek is in the summer, I know they can also be easy targets late fall, early winter.  Who knows, maybe those walters are in 6 feet of water in the back of a muddy bay somewhere chowing down on winter killed/stressed shad?  Darn walleyes ;) 

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2005, 03:49 PM »
YEah, after the floods/rains raised it 8+ft this past summer it never really recovered.  I think a lot of forage and food for existing forage came in and the fish have had plenty to eat.  WOuld be curious to know how many fish were lost over the overflow to saylorville as well.  Anyway, they are still there...just a matter of tracking them down!

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.