Author Topic: CALLING ALL BAIT EXPERTS  (Read 11976 times)

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
CALLING ALL BAIT EXPERTS
« on: Dec 31, 2004, 04:11 PM »
CAN YOU GUYS GIVE ME SOME ADVICE HERE?
I AM TRYING TO KEEP MY OWN BAIT THIS WINTER, HOWEVER I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS. THIS IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT KEEPING SOME ALIVE FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME.

1. I HAVE A 15 GALLON BIN WITH A 10-15 GALLON FILTER DO I NEED AN ADDITIONAL BUBBLER?

2. WHAT SHOULD I FEED THEM IF ANYTHING?

3.SHOULD I PUT ROCKS IN THE BOTTOM LIKE AN AQUARIUM?

4. HOW OFTEN SHOULD I CHANGE THE WATER OR SHOULD I NOT WORRY ABOUT IT UNLESS IT GETS CLOUDY?

5. ANY OTHER USEFULL INFO WOULD BE GREAT.
THANKS

P Gottshall

Re: CALLING ALL BAIT EXPERTS
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2004, 04:21 PM »
Not an expert, but I've read some, & have kept my own minnows alive for some time:

1) I used a "whisper" (recirculating) filter, which provided plenty of oxygen.
2) I fed a little tropical food, although I've read to be careful, as over-feeding will contaminate the water.  I ususally used within a couple weeks anyway, so probably not necessary.  The bait shop told me they don't feed them.
3) I read that an under-gravel filter is a good idea.  My experience was that the gravel is irritating when catching minnows.
4) Change 1/3 of the water each week.
5) Keep them relatively cool. 
    Get the dead ones out right away.
    Be careful about using tap-water, as it has chlorine in it.

There is a related discussion in the "Ice Fishing Baits" section: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=15623.msg139539#msg139539

An older thread: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=3449.0

If I can locate where I got this info I'll post.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2004, 04:41 PM »
Used to keep them in an 10 gallon aquarium in the garage when I still used live bait. Had a small air pump with only a stone type bubbler on it and a little heater unit with only enough temp to keep the water from freezing. Agree that you need to be careful with city water. Suggest that you fill up the container and let it set for a day, at least, to release the chlorine and what ever else is in there. Remember getting the whole set up at a garage sale for $2, used it for years.

P Gottshall

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2004, 04:42 PM »
Smeltshack,

Let me add question #6 - how big of a tank do I need?  The general rule is 1in of fish per gallon, but I've dumped in 1lb into a 10gal tank, which is about 15doz, which is about 20X the rule.

Thx,
Paul

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2004, 04:56 PM »
HEY THERE HAPPY NEW YEAR.................. ......I have a plastic deep sink ones they sell at home depot i use as a tank..used it for yrs.........i followed scott's advice and went to walmart got the biggest tropical fish aerator they sell and have another plus a bubbler....i never change my water and u can feed them dry dogfood or shiners like bread but the more they eat the more waste. i never really feed mine ..have about 13 dozen shiners in there and keep rolling them over..the only problem is that in the spring being in my basement  and it warms up they do get that fungus and then i loose what i have.....haven't tried smelts yet but with all that water flow should do good...with just a bubbler in yrs past smelts would last about a week...i also use it for spring fishin...scott..billit rite can help he has a nice set up so does black phoenix...really not much maintenance.....nice not worrying about finding a bait store open when you head out.....good luck  maybe we will hook up in the future,,,,, :tipup:
                             dave
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2004, 05:04 PM »
I PUT WELL WATER IN THEM SO THERE SHOULDNT BE ANY CHLORINE IN IT (RIGHT?)
I ALSO HAD THEM INSIDE AN OLD REFRIDGERATOR TO KEEP THE WATER COOLER, BUT A BUDDY OF MINE SAID THEY MAY NOT GET THE OXYGEN THEY NEED BECAUSE THE DOOR IS SHUT AND NO OXYGEN GETS IN  (IS THIS TRUE).   SO I TOOK THEM OUT AND NOW THEY SIT IN THE BASEMENT.  BASEMENT IS AROUND 50 DEGREES AT THE WARMEST DUE TO IT BEING UNINSILATED. I ASSUME THE WATER WONT GET TOO WARM. I HEARD SHINERS LIKE WARMER WATER BUT I AM AFRAID IF IT GETS TOO WARM THEY WILL GO INTO SHOCK WHEN I DROP THEM IN THE ICY LAKE. 
THANKS GUYS FOR THE INFORMATION, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT
AT THE MOMENT I HAVE 7 DOZEN IN THERE. I HOPE ITS NOT TOO MANY, BUT I HAVENT LOST ANY YET SO WE WILL SEE.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2004, 05:06 PM »
I've had em last 4 weeks, no food at all. As soon as you feed em, they foul the water. On the subject of water, if you suspect chlorine, a few squirts of "Stress Coat" from an aquarium shop will clear it right out, fast. ;)
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2004, 05:18 PM »
Things to think about:

Ammonia kills, if you have a lot of fish, change the water frequently with that nice well water that has no chlorine

colder is better

the more bubblers the better (or filters moving water and adding oxygen)

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2004, 05:35 PM »
thanks to my buddy Big Walleye, he supplied me with a tiny bottle of baitsaver.....1/4 teaspoon to 5 gallons of water...increases the oxygen content....and combined with a submersible fountain pump, i keep the water circulating 24/7......i change the water every 2 weeks....feed them cornmeal about once a week......other than some fresh live HUGE chubs that dont seem to take the change of scenery too well...they are the ONLY minnows that i have lost....i keep about 40 dozen plus in a tub that contains about 20 gallons of treated water......absolutely the easiest method i have tried...and the most successful so far.....hope this helps....Grump

North2AlaskaAlley

« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2004, 07:30 PM »
I have kept shiners in everything from a coffee can right on up to the over flow in my mother's well.  One time waaaay back when they stocked Damiriscotta Lake (MAINE) with salmon I used the same dozen shiners for the whole season.  I hooked them just though the lips, and when the salmon hit them, they would slide up the hook onto the line.  They spent the whole season in the minnow bucket out in the shed eating dogfood, with no aeration, or filter, the shed never got cold enough to freeze the water solid.  That said though....  Any moving water will have oxygen enough for em.  Without oxygen, you wouldn't have water, so the fridge is fine.  Ammonia is a real bad thing, so the less the fish eat the better, and if you use one of those outside the tank filters that siphon the water in, and then filter it back into the tank, you should be fine, cause the charcoal helps keep the ammonia and PH levels safe.  I know, I just said the same thing everybody else said, but I HAD to share the story of the brave dozen who battled the salmon of Damirscotta Mills for a whole season, and then were released into the wild when Spring Thaw came!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2004, 08:05 PM »
ive had 4 doz shiners and 4 doz suckers in 35 gallon tank for 2 weeks.i have a 300 gph aquarium filter on it 30 bucks at walmart and the fish have current to swim in.if the water is cloudy they could be  overcrowded or your water may be too warm.you can add stress coat or sea salt it happens as long as its not for an extended period of time its ok.i dont feed them.maybe they can find themselves something to eat when i put them down the hole.i change half their water once a week. i too have well water and they like it just like it is. good luck!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2004, 09:03 PM »
I've got two dozen small shiners in a 10 gallon tank and I could easily fit another 3 dozen in there with no problems. I feed them regular fish food every other day, and they do great. I keep the water extremely cold by putting alot of ice cubes daily. I use a whisper filter, and I am yet to have problems...anybody know how long wild bait can be held in captivity? I  was wondering if i could trap some suckers in the summer and keep them until hard water season. ::)

North2AlaskaAlley

« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2004, 09:13 PM »
...anybody know how long wild bait can be held in captivity? I  was wondering if i could trap some suckers in the summer and keep them until hard water season. ::)

I would think they could live longer than they would in the wild.  I sued to catch baby bullheads when I was a kid, and sell them to a pet store (on the sly) for people to keep in their tanks with agressive fish.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2004, 09:49 PM »
I would think that suckers are pretty hardy fish. I would get them small if you are getting them in summer, so they don't get too big. You might want to set it up like an aquarium if you are going to keep them that long.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2005, 09:28 AM »
I'll definately have an aquarium or two set up, I'll put chubs in one and suckers in the other.... should work...

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2005, 08:29 PM »
Its also my first time trying to keep bait, Im tired of goin out the next morning, and seeing my bait belly up.Bait is just so expensive now, and keeps dieing, so I need to come up with a way to keep the bait alive. Will a tote work or should I use a cooler.WHere can I buy a quality arearator, bait treatment, to kill chlorine, etc.anything else am I missing. ANy info would sure be a big help, thanks
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2005, 04:43 AM »
the container doesnt really matter though round is better so they dont bunch in the corners and they will keep running in to them.but its not really that important . what is important is the water temerature and oxegyn.a good aerator is a great way and or a pump to keep the water moving will help it not too freeze.i use both and my bait is always lively and healthy and ready to go when i am

Offline Fish-A-Holic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Winnebago and Lovin it
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2005, 10:32 AM »
I've kept minnows for years and I use a 50 gal plastic barrel that I cut down half way. I use a cheap agarium pump in it and a 1000 watt heater that shuts off at 40 degrees. The heater is from Fleet Farm and cost $14. I keep them in a cold garage so that they are at the same temp as the water I fish. This is the most important thing about keeping minnows. They can not stand temperature shock. Putting minnows from warm water of 50 degrees to 35 degrees will kill them in a few minutes. I change the water once a month and feed nothing. I use a dechlorinator solution when I change water. This can be purchased at any pet supply store.  Minnows kept at 40 degrees will not eat. Their metabolism is slowed way down at this temp. Feeding only dirty's up the water and allows ammonia buildup.
The Fish-A-Holic

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2005, 01:17 PM »
This year I'm sinking a couple of 2 litre plastic pop bottles with some punctures for air down a spare hole in the ice shack. I'll toss in some beef jerky for them to eat. Supposed to work great.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Pats

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2005, 02:08 PM »
I have 19 dozen 7" to 9 " golden shiners in a 200 gal.tank.I keep the water below 50 deg.by changing it 2 times a week.I have a big pump and i live on a res.so i use the same water that they came out of.I use a air pump and never feed them.They last from the end of nov.to the end of mar.Unless they get eaten! :roflmao:

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2005, 02:58 PM »
I have a 55 gallon plastic barrel in the entry to my basement. I cut a door in the side of the barrel and put a couple of cheap hinges on. I use a small air pump with a six inch stone which keep enough air in the water. If the water starts to freeze over I use a 75 watt bulb in a pin up light to warm it up. I have had ten dozen minnows in there for the last three weeks and they are doing great. If you kep them where it to warm they will get a white fungus in a couple of weeks.
Steve

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2005, 04:38 PM »
WOW a great amount of very helpful information> so far my shiners are doing great (except the 7 dozen that got eaten on the first day of fishing) at least the last 5 dozen are doing ok. I have zero dead. Does anyone know of where you can get that blue stuff they put in the tanks at bait dealer shops?  What is that stuff anyway. I probably wont buy any especially if none die but i would like to know what it is and where to get it. Thanks for all the help guys.

Offline taz54868

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2005, 06:32 PM »
i have a 55 Gal Drum  witch i keep in the river. keeps minnows alive and  used to cold water temps all winter.

P Gottshall

« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2005, 08:38 PM »
mcattac,

Thanks.  Very informative.

I hope this string gets placed in the "Ice Fishing Baits" bucket when the discussion is done.  It contains a lot of useful info I'd like easy access to a year form now!

Paul

Offline sully

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2005, 10:04 PM »
here is a link for the  "blue stuff" u put in the tanks   http://www.sure-life.com/products/betterba.htm

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2005, 11:45 PM »
I only keep 8 to 10 dozen fat heads. But if I feel the need to feed them I put them in 5 gal buckets for a day or two. This keeps my main tank cleaner allot longer.

Offline TheBigPickerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2005, 07:04 PM »
I have two 32 gallon foot lockers each with a little bubbler, and a small heater.  The foot lockers work great, they are the perfect size, and have a closable lid. I've tried the tap water at my house, which comes from a well.  The tap water killed the minnows in a day or two.  It took me a while to figure this out.  Now i use water that i get from a stream in my back yard.  The minnows last for weeks.  I also put perch and small suckers or smelt in the foot lockers without any problems.  I rarely feed them.  Water temperature is 35-40 degrees. Colder water is better.  The fish use less energy, less oxygen, and produce less waste.

backknife

« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2005, 05:33 AM »
the container doesnt really matter though round is better so they dont bunch in the corners and they will keep running in to them.but its not really that important . what is important is the water temerature and oxegyn.a good aerator is a great way and or a pump to keep the water moving will help it not too freeze.i use both and my bait is always lively and healthy and ready to go when i am
   I would like to keep some bait in my garage.I have a good filter and aerator,but i'm not sure what to use for a heater(it get's down to 0 in there).I plan on using a 20 gallon coolerwith about 15 gallons in it.I don't want to cook them,just keep the water from freezing.Is there a heater with a thermostat in the 32-40 degree range?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.