Author Topic: Need advice on new jacket for ice fishing  (Read 8427 times)

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need advice on new jacket for ice fishing
« on: Jan 13, 2011, 04:29 PM »
I would like to get a new jacket for ice fishing, and was wondering if anyone had any advice or opinions on different brands of jackets/bibs or if you have them and like them. I have a good pair of ice armor bibs (black ones, which are very nice and warm), but a lot of the jackets come with the bibs too, and a spare set isnt a bad thing to have either.

Thanks for the help!
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Need advice on new jacket for ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:59 PM »
I just bought the clam Ice Armor blue suit set. I've only used them one day.... but they sure seem amazing to me!! I didn't think $250 for the set was out of line... very comfortable, not binding, warm and dry.

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:26 PM »
Someone told me the blue suit was rated for 32 degrees and higher, but everyone raves about them being warm. Does anyone know if this is true?  ::)
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline Since

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Arctic Armor, recently got the plus version coat, regular vetsion bibs (soft lining inside the plus but same amount of insulation as the regular). They are warm and lots of pockets. The main reason I got the suit was because it floats. I have alot of cold weather hunting gear that would keep me warm but the thought of sinking to the bottom of a ice cold lake didn't thrill me. I got both the coat and bibs but they are sold separately.

Good fishing!

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2011, 03:22 PM »
For  110 dollars your best value is the Vexilar cold snap parka, specially designed for ice fishing, vey warm, purchased it last Year after recomendation on IS, very satisfied.

http://www.reedssports.com/Category/main.taf?cat=1904

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2011, 08:34 PM »
ive got an old uninsulated iditerod suit from cabellas, just a shell, use different layers under it, fish and ski with it, awesome suit, new ones are insulated. even has a crapper zipper ;D

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2011, 08:41 PM »
Someone told me the blue suit was rated for 32 degrees and higher, but everyone raves about them being warm. Does anyone know if this is true?  ::)
I believe the blue suit is uninsulated, but works great at blocking wind. So if you layer for warmth, you will be good. I fish with a few guys that have them and like them. I personally have an arctic armor set and think it is a great suit. Lots of good products out there in all price ranges. Decide what is important to you and get what fits your criteria.
Pig
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2011, 05:46 PM »
I am inbetween on the blue verses the grey. I dont want to spend the extra $ on the grey, even though I think it would be my best option as I am always ice cold. I would really like to know if the blue jacket will be warm enough for me, even though it is uninsulated. Everyone I talk to has a different opinion.

Offline grubdropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2011, 10:54 AM »
I am in between on the blue verses the grey. I dont want to spend the extra $ on the grey, even though I think it would be my best option as I am always ice cold. I would really like to know if the blue jacket will be warm enough for me, even though it is uninsulated. Everyone I talk to has a different opinion.
I had the same thoughts when I bought the Blue suit.  The blue suit is more geared to wear layers underneath it.  I went with the blue and use it just as much for open water fishing as I do for Icefishing.  I used the jacket many times in early spring and later in the fall.  If I was only going to buy it for icefishing and was going out in weather less then 10 degrees all the time i would have went with the grey.  all though I thought the grey suit felt heavy in weight to me.
Over all I think the blue suit is more versatile.

Offline E.C

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2011, 11:58 AM »
I just bought the uninsulated.black bibs from icearmor and the green and black parka that icearmor makes and couldnt be happier with it. The parka is the exact same as the black blue parka except you can by it seprately from bibs. (it does come in a few different colors)As far as being warm I think its perfect just layer according to weather. I have yet to get cold in it this winter. I believe redrock has them on sale. Another option would be guidegear parka from sportsman direct which they have in stock again and has alittle more insulation I believe, for 60.bucks it is well worth it. hope that helps

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2011, 10:54 PM »
I have a pair of the insulated bibs and I love them, but I need a new jacket so I figured I could get the set for the same $ and have a extra pair of bibs. I bought the gray suit because I found it for $240 online, which was a steal. So hopefully I wont get too warm!!  ;D

Offline war eagle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:10 PM »
Check out my recent post on guide gear ice suits,you can't go wrong and the price is nuts!

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2011, 11:33 PM »
I seen those and considered it but I heard a lot of bad things about them. Will have to read your post though, have some friends looking to get an ice suit.  ;D

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2011, 09:28 AM »
Sno suit jacket. Warmest jacket I have had, lots of pockets, nice cut in the arms. Vents so you don't over heat, removable hood, reflective strips so you are seen at night.

Offline nofishin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2011, 02:31 PM »
I am inbetween on the blue verses the grey. I dont want to spend the extra $ on the grey, even though I think it would be my best option as I am always ice cold. I would really like to know if the blue jacket will be warm enough for me, even though it is uninsulated. Everyone I talk to has a different opinion.
i got the blue suit two years ago and have never wished i had a grey one.  The blue suit is more versitile.  if it is below 0 degrees i just wear extra layers.  i have fished from -20 degrees to 50 degrees with it and never once been cold.  if you were the proper layers it works awesome.  most of the time i take the jacket off as i am too hot running to traps.  I am not a warm person, i am always cold and this suit is perfict.  get it and a pair of fleece pants and jacket for underneath on cold days.  you will not be sorry.  the gray suit is too much.  over 20 degrees and you sweat.

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:00 PM »
Well I got to test my new suit out in -32 degree windchill temps and I can honestly say I wasnt cold! My hands, feet and face were (when I wasnt in the shanty) but my body was toasty. I was skeptical of going out but since I got the suit, I decided a few hours couldnt hurt. I had to snowmobile 10 miles to my spot on lake superior, and I didnt get cold on the sled (going 35-45mph) either!  ;D

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2011, 04:21 PM »
bought the frabill ice suit, got it on sale at Glens. 247 shipped. very beefy suit. coat is great by itself. bibs are beefy and it seems nothing will penetrate them

Outdoor_hardcore

« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2011, 02:38 PM »
cant go wrong with carhart

Offline 200S

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2011, 07:19 PM »
For  110 dollars your best value is the Vexilar cold snap parka, specially designed for ice fishing, vey warm, purchased it last Year after recomendation on IS, very satisfied.

http://www..com/Category/main.taf?cat=1904

Got the Vex Bibs beginning of the season. Bibs are awesome. I have been wanting to get the Parka but haven't had the cash. Then I seen the Parka on red rock for 55 bucks. Ordered it this morning :o. They also have some Bibs for the same price. Check it out. great deal.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2011, 07:07 AM »
I got the Arctic Armor Plus green and black bibs and coat and it is warm, light in weight and not bulky, has plenty of pockets, is wind proof, somewhat water proof and it floats.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.