The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy Propane Ice Auger  (Read 24142 times)

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy Propane Ice Auger
« on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:06 AM »
Just wondering how the Jiffy Propane Augers were working? :P

Offline St.Croix

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jiffy Propane powered ice augers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:25 AM »
there was a recent thread on one. Can't remember who it was but they were going to keep us posted on the functionality as the season progressed
><(((o>  ..............><(((o>   .................. ><(((o>

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:31 AM »
hasnt been cold enough yet to test on the frosting of the bottles   lol   oh well
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Bassbug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:36 AM »
I talked to one of my buddies that works at KTP, he said that he tested them last winter in Min. with the jiffy people.  He said they worked really well.  I had the same questions about the cold.  have you ever tried to start a propane stove when it was freezing out. doesn't work real good at first until it heats up
enough is enough

Offline ICEDINN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2011, 05:56 PM »
will let you all know on sunday we are uptta camp with one on friday but bringing a gasoline one as back up !!!

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:06 PM »
My buddy fred just bought one. It works extremely well. I have a 3 year old legend xt which is awesome but there are occasions when i cuss a bit starting it (good ole jiffy) freds 3 pulls start drill done.
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline doo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:15 PM »
i was going to buy the pro 4 propane auger, i changed my mind and bought a brand new legend and it has been awful. 10 to 15 pulls to start on average, very powerful but its a pain in the a##

Offline sgtlane04901

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:22 PM »
I was wondering the some thing, My farther in-law was looking at them.  Any news on them would be good. 

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:25 PM »
hasnt been cold enough yet to test on the frosting of the bottles   lol   oh well

Its been around 0 here for a couple weeks. So far its been very good reviews as far as starting and running with lots of power at these temps. Only complaints have been the throttle return or lack there of.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:26 PM »
I talked to one of my buddies that works at KTP, he said that he tested them last winter in Min. with the jiffy people.  He said they worked really well.  I had the same questions about the cold.  have you ever tried to start a propane stove when it was freezing out. doesn't work real good at first until it heats up

The auger uses a high volume regulator that the stoves do not use.

Offline Jigga

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Camp Wabanaki
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Used one last week.  Started quick, was quiet and VERY FAST.  Over 40 holes drilled and still on one tank.
I want to sell me two gas Jiffy's and buy a propane.
Only real fisherman ICE FISH !!!!!!!!!

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2011, 12:06 PM »
Cant compare it to a propane stove..... works well at 10 below, drills like a charm, little noise, no pollution its my best purchase so far, still got a lot of holes to drill yet, will keep you posted on long term use. Not once did I have to pull more then 3 times, 90% of the time, its first or second pull.

Offline sgtlane04901

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:34 PM »
You all have sold me on them.  now I need $400 lol

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2011, 06:53 PM »
You all have sold me on them.  now I need $400 lol
If you can get em for $400 I need two of em.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:16 PM »
Make that 3, Dawg.  ;D I think they're gonna be the hot ticket from now on...look for improvements next year.
Stumper is right too, the high press regulator is the difference for anything that runs in sub-freezing conditions.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline limpindog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:09 AM »
 i owned two of them ,the first one the plastic housing cracked where the handles attach, brought that one back and the second one, the propane fitting leaked because of a bad crimp. i will not try again.just bought a strikmaster lazermag and i am extremely happy with it.

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2011, 04:04 PM »
Bought the Pro 4 propane this year.  Started right up on 3 pulls at  10 below both days.  Plenty of power, very quiet.  Put in 60 holes thru 14" ice, still on same tank.  Really like it.   kdcon

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2011, 04:27 PM »
I bought one after reading the reviews. took it out for the first time this weekend. took three pulls to start it the first time one pull everytime after that.really nice not having to mess with the gas,runs great seems to have plenty of power. no compaints so far.

Offline steelyhead17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:00 PM »
how heavy does this auger weigh?

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:07 PM »
The 8  inch is 38lbs, I was hesitant at first about the weight, kinda got used to it, however I rarely drill more then 20 holes.

Offline kennyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Well i was stoked to buy a pro 4...brought it up to big winnie this weekend and thats where my happiness ended. First off the thing sounded like it was going to blow up. then it started spinning fast without me even touching the throttle!! this was all the night before hitting the ice.. The next morning i brought it out on the ice to have the thing not start. When i finally got it started after 15 minutes it died as soon as i started drilling my first hole...granted it was -10 outside but this thing was rated to -20 i was told.. I was so excited to get this auger as i thought it would be the end to gas smell in my car...needless to say it is back at gander....Great idea with the jiffy, bad luck....

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:55 PM »
I don't think they will last. I used to be a mechanic for International trucks here in Regina Saskatchewan and have rebuilt lots of propane fueled engines.
propane runs so dry, used to turn the combustion chambers white.
We used to remove the valve stem seals from all the exhaust valves and ream the valve guides to the loose spec.
Here in Saskatchewan it gets cold enough to pour propane like water which is -44 deg F which means as you approach that temperature the performance also drops off. The cause of the frost on the outside of the tank is caused by the propane exiting the bottle orifice causing a temperature drop which cools the tank, an good example of this is pulling the drain plug on an air tank and watching the nozzle frost up and that's at room temperature so imagine what that is like when its cold even -15 C or 5 F

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Lot of users, couple of complaints, not bad. just like the gasoline ones.

Offline shadykiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2011, 04:03 PM »
they make bad in all things.. but for most part it sounds good.. well i hope it is good we just got 1 ..

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2011, 04:25 PM »
I'm no expert, but I used Hesco manhole machines which were powered with Propane for providing high and low pressure air, heat, and power for over 30 years with no problem, My first one had a Briggs and Stratton and the second and third had four cylinder industrial engines. We used them all year around and it does get cold here in SD.

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2011, 11:09 PM »
Obviously you have never had to heat a propane tank in order for the engine to run.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:22 AM »
Obviously you have never had to heat a propane tank in order for the engine to run.
The tanks in my machines were under a cover which was heated by by the radiator for the engine and they were stored in a heated building when not being used. I just let the engine warm up before it was out in the cold too long. On the machine with the Briggs and Stratton the tank sat on a heated pad. The tanks in my truck had a heated blanket around them to keep them toasty. It is -23F here this morning not considering the wind and wind chills of -60F aren't unusual around here. I can remember a few days when the chill factor was -90F or colder. The machines were built to operate in all types of weather and I think the Pro 4 will do ok also. ;)

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:12 AM »
You wont be dissapointed shady ,only two posters here have had issues , its all good, best purchase I made so far. Propane Augers are made to run in Winter, where extensively tested in Winter. Every time  you read a post about someone that cant run a grill or lamp etc, these things where made for Summer and fall, ( not ice fishing,)there are other options for grilling ( more expensive) but hey its a moot point its not even similar except for the tank.

Offline uncleduney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:58 PM »
Hi crew, I am new here & registered a few weeks ago just to check out the Jiffy Pro 4. I have an old Strikemaster that I carry in a homemade carrier  (with the powerhead covered) on the back of my snowmobile approx 12 miles across 2 lakes in Canada but when I get there it has frostbite & won't start until I put it in my tent & warm it up so I read all the threads on here & took the plunge & bought the propane assuming it would solve my problems so here goes.

Day 1
I carried the propane tank inside my jacket so the cold tank would not be an issue (-15 Fahrenheit) got to my spot, got the auger out & issue #1
the cap covering the tank fitting had shrunk so I could not get it off until I thawed it out with a lighter, the hose you attach the bottle to was so stiff I could not bend it to install the tank in the holder so had to let the tank just hang there, attempted to squeeze the throttle & it would not move, warmed that up so it moved & ready to go, well on the second pull it started but stuck wideopen & just started spinning in circles until I gained control & shut it off. Now frustrated I put up my tent & light my heater & let things warm up freed up the throttle & started again & cut 2 holes (which it did quit well) but if they tell you it is fumless they lie, not anywhere near as bad as the old 2 stroke but still stinks.

Day 2 same issues
Day 3 same issues
Day 4 drive home
Day 5 return auger to store

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2011, 10:18 PM »
wind chill has no affect on the tempeture of a object it only apllies to the heat loss of an object or mainly how long it will take to freeze skin.
I you think it does just drive down the highway and put a thermometer out the window

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.