Author Topic: Vexilar FL-22HD - Are you happy with yours?  (Read 19241 times)

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Vexilar FL-22HD - Are you happy with yours?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:24 PM »
Got the new ducer for the 22 from Vexilar today.  Hooked it up and took it down to the lake.  Had to see if the 3 foot orange blob was gone.  Popped a couple holes in a shallow bay.  Fired up the bad boy in 5 ft of water and the blob was gone.  YEAH!  Didn't fish today, just had to see how it worked.  Gonna be going out in the near future to run it through its paces.  Hopefully this one will be the fix.  Here is a pic from my phone.  Fin

Good to see you got fixed up.

Offline jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 14, 2011, 04:30 PM »
Was out today with mine for the 2nd time. Fishin in less than 10 feet of water. Initially had the beam set at 8 degree. Saw all kinds of green bars. Took a picture as I wanted to ask you guys about it but for some reason, the pics just didn't turn out. I took pics with the 8 degree, 12 degree and 20 degree. The weird thing that was happening, I was hoping someone could explain it to me, was that i was showing lots of green bars between top and bottom with the 8 degree, a few less with the 12 and at 20, none! I thought it should have been just the opposite in most cases. I was having a hard time seeing my jig as well. I was using no gain at all. Can anyone explain to me what was going on? I got one pic that turned out but it was the one showing no green at all on the 20 degree setting. Last time I used it in deeper water with no issues, except with interference with 2 other vex users.

KeepfishN4fun

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #62 on: Jan 14, 2011, 04:45 PM »
To be honest, I'd take them both back and get 18's or 20's.  Oh yeah, and stumper and esox: the reason they don't put floats on your units is because they're not worth saving if they fall into the hole.  If you're not Vex guys, go and torment someone else, not a guy who shelled out alot of money and is trying to work out some bugs.  ;D

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:13 PM »
All my friends with a Vex including myself when I owned then took the floats off. What partly trned me away from Vex was other companies started avancing the technology yet Vex sells you more add ons. Nothing against Vex owners, I was once one to but untill they advance above the competition I won't be owing one. They have alot of catching up to do IMO.

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:19 PM »
I hear you, no harm done.  I was just having some fun.  To each their own.  I actually like how uncluttered the display is on the Marcum.  Would I use one?  Absolutely.  The reason I've got the Vex is because I cut my teeth on one.  Have you jigged deep water yet?  I wouldn't buy the 22 because I sometimes fish deep for Lakers, so that wouldn't even be an option for me.  I hope some people haven't been deceived by buying it thinking they could fish deep with it because it's the highest model number.  It's going to be interesting to see how flashers develop. 

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #65 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:22 PM »
jmillsp  the book says that when in 20 degree cone angle that the gain may need to be turned up a bit to see the jig. I turn my gain up to  about 2 when using the 20 degree but I usually  fish over 10 ft

Offline jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:08 PM »
jmillsp  the book says that when in 20 degree cone angle that the gain may need to be turned up a bit to see the jig. I turn my gain up to  about 2 when using the 20 degree but I usually  fish over 10 ft
Ya, I did that and just looked the same as when I had it at the 8 or 12 degree, bunch of green marks almost like interference. What I can't understand is why there were many more green marks in the 8 degree setting vs the 20 degree and I never touched the gain.  :-\
KeepfishN4fun

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 14, 2011, 08:32 PM »
The reason you see more unwanted "blips" in the 8 degree is because you have the same amount of power in a smaller cone, thus it is almost like having your gain turned up. When you flip it to 20 degree the power is spread into a larger cone, so it doesnt pick up as much garbage. It is kind of backwards, I was thinking that the narrow cone would help get rid of clutter, but i think maybe even in low power mode, that there is still too much power. I thought about hooking the s cable to my tri beam and seeing what happened in the narrow beam.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Offline jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:05 PM »
The reason you see more unwanted "blips" in the 8 degree is because you have the same amount of power in a smaller cone, thus it is almost like having your gain turned up. When you flip it to 20 degree the power is spread into a larger cone, so it doesnt pick up as much garbage. It is kind of backwards, I was thinking that the narrow cone would help get rid of clutter, but i think maybe even in low power mode, that there is still too much power. I thought about hooking the s cable to my tri beam and seeing what happened in the narrow beam.
Hmmm, that actually makes sense to me!!  ;D :clap: :bow:
Now I can get back to  :icefish: and not worry so much about it anymore. Sounds like it is working after all. Must have just been lots of weeds down there or something. Thanks for your input!  :thumbsup:
----
Now, can you help me with my next problem?
I feel like I am a little dyslexic when I try to read the depths on my new 22! Maybe I am worrying to much about  what the depth is and should be paying more attention to the proximity of things but, for me, it is really hard to figure out what my depth is at a glance. What's the secret? Seems someone should have come up with something different than just taking the number x2 or x3 etc. Some people just aren't that good with numbers! Or is it just me?  ::)
KeepfishN4fun

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:15 PM »
If it's like the 18 or 20, just set the knob to NM normal mode and multiply the depth to the bottom (solid red) by the number on the depth setting. 

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 15, 2011, 05:59 AM »
From what Ive been reading this "tri-Beam" is becomming a real problem. The concept is excellent but maybe they pushed it out too fast. Im just crossing my fingers that I don't have any issues with mine but havent fished shallow with it in months. Im going out tomorrow to give it a rip.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #71 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:47 AM »
Did you try the Tri beam on your FL-8?  ???
Stumper, I did get to put the tri beam on the FL-8.  The red actually covered the first bottom 5 feet in the air test.  I guess I don't understand why the 19 degree ducer from the 8 doesnt do this but the tri beam does.  Any body out there have a dual ducer for there Vex.  See if when you do the air space test you get the first three feet showing red on your graph.  Thanks  Fin

Offline pondhopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 15, 2011, 01:23 PM »
I just got a new fl 22 on Dec. 28 and used it on several different lakes in water ranging from 5` to 27` so far no issues for me it seems to work the way it should,except for sometimes the green line showing the jig will just fade out and you seem to have to keep adjusting the gain  often. I don't know if this is normal or not, being this is my first flasher.The only thing I can tell you is after seeing all the problems people are having with thees new ducers I am seriously thinking about returning it and maybe I will buy a new one next year once they get all the bugs worked out.

Offline eaglejac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • age 50+ avid fisherman freshwater and salt
« Reply #73 on: Jan 15, 2011, 05:53 PM »
J Mills   MY fl 22 looks just like yours , Less than one foot of red on top in the 10 foot range and it is working great...   I gave it a work out today on the ice  and I love mine!!! working fine right now !!

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:04 PM »
I hope you guys get your problems fixed! I was thinking of upgrading from my fl8, to a 20 or 22, maybe I will wait and see how this turns out. Good luck guys keep us  updated!

Offline Quinteman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:31 PM »
I've had no problems with my 22 HD..it has worked flawlessly.  I love the 10' increments it provides much better detail and separation.  I've seen nothing that comes even close to the pics that are posted here that indicate problems..I'll keep my fingers crossed I guess. 

Offline kennyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 26, 2011, 12:06 PM »
i have been using a vex for 15 years and never had a problem..get the 22 yesterday and had the shotty transducer..am i mad?? NO!!!! one call to Pat at vexilar and a new transducer is on its way... that is why i LOVE this company...cant wait to let this baby shine!!

Offline jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Wow, these transducer woes relative to the 22 are gruesome! So far, so good with mine. Fished today in 10 foot of water and it is a joy to fish with!
KeepfishN4fun

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #78 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Finally got to get out after getting the new replacement tri-ducer over 2 weeks ago.  Too much bad weather and WORK!  Fished the new ducer on the 22 from 8-3 yesterday on three different lakes from depths of 3-24 ft.  Worked flawlessly!  Hope this new ducer is the fix.  The only thing that bothers me is that the one that went bad before worked perfect in the beginning too.  Only time will tell.  Fingers crossed.  Fin

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 28, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Finally got to get out after getting the new replacement tri-ducer over 2 weeks ago.  Too much bad weather and WORK!  Fished the new ducer on the 22 from 8-3 yesterday on three different lakes from depths of 3-24 ft.  Worked flawlessly!  Hope this new ducer is the fix.  The only thing that bothers me is that the one that went bad before worked perfect in the beginning too.  Only time will tell.  Fingers crossed.  Fin

Well you have 2 years worth of replacement transducers. My battery pooched out on my FL-22 and the customer service from Vexilar was outstanding. They immediatly sent me a new battery, no questions asked. All products have some duds but its the customer service that sets them apart.

Cheers!!

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #80 on: Jan 28, 2011, 11:22 AM »
Well you have 2 years worth of replacement transducers. My battery pooched out on my FL-22 and the customer service from Vexilar was outstanding. They immediatly sent me a new battery, no questions asked. All products have some duds but its the customer service that sets them apart.

Cheers!!
Yah Dark, I can't complain about Vexilar or Strikemaster.  Had issues with both of them and there customer service was unbeliveable!!!  Sent me replacement parts and repairs immediately.   Fin

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 28, 2011, 04:36 PM »
Yah Dark, I can't complain about Vexilar or Strikemaster.  Had issues with both of them and there customer service was unbeliveable!!!  Sent me replacement parts and repairs immediately.   Fin

We're quite lucky to have companies like Vexilar, Marcum, Humminbird and StrikeMaster to name a few that take care of their customers. I refuse to buy any more Lowrance products after my last Finder on the boat which I spent $600 pooched out and they would not help. They actually knew this finder had all sorts of issues but sold it any way and now a bunch of guys are really pissed because of this.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 28, 2011, 04:44 PM »
We're quite lucky to have companies like Vexilar, Marcum, Humminbird and StrikeMaster to name a few that take care of their customers. I refuse to buy any more Lowrance products after my last Finder on the boat which I spent $600 pooched out and they would not help. They actually knew this finder had all sorts of issues but sold it any way and now a bunch of guys are really pissed because of this.
I have heard many horror stories about lowrance and I experience one myself. Their customer service is at the far end of the spectrum and it's not towards the good side.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 28, 2011, 07:53 PM »
Lowrance lost Linda she was the customer service and went through a transition during that time to, much better today and since I wont own a Bird all I got left is Lowrance lol, But after 25 years of owning them only had to call in once for service and was proptly taken care of.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #84 on: Jan 28, 2011, 07:56 PM »
So far so good with my fl-22

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #85 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:07 PM »

Im curious, which unit did you have issues with?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 30, 2011, 09:14 PM »
Guessing one of the 26,28,36,37,38 series ones that had issues finding bottom. Of course this was during the transition period and Linda leaving....

Offline vance80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 30, 2011, 09:36 PM »
I bought my 1st flasher this year and ended up buying an fl 22. Pretty much everyone i know has vexilar so i really didn't have any experiences with the other brands. In my opinion they are not worth the price. I had a lot of interference problems when i fished with friends in the same shack. My fl-22 would be blinking with green marks all over the water column while my friends fl 18 was crystal clear. And yes we tried everything with the IR and different cone angles. I also thought that the screen would be a lot more crisp being the unit was the latest and greatest from vexilar. I thought it had the same fuzziness as the other vexilar units i have used. I just didnt think there was a real huge improvement over other vexilar offerings and the interference problem really ticked me off. So i took it back and bought a marcum lx 5 and if u ask me these units are not even close. Just my opinion but i cant think of a single area where the fl 22 was better than the lx 5.
These are just my opinions. Everyone i know loves there vexilars. i just wasn't impressed with the one i bought.

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:31 AM »
Im curious, which unit did you have issues with?

Mine are the Lowrance LMS 520 c's. Ive got one on the bow and one on the dash. I have nothing but problems with both units. Im not happy with them at all.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Jan 31, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Forgot about those they were junk LOL I ran Eagles up untill last year and went with HDS units and love them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.