Author Topic: Vexilar FL-22HD - Are you happy with yours?  (Read 19242 times)

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Vexilar FL-22HD - Are you happy with yours?
« on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:08 AM »
Mods - I know this should be posted in the “Ice Fishing with Electronics” section but can you please leave this here for a bit.  I’d like to get some input.

So, how is your Vexilar FL-22 Tri-Beam performing?

I sold my FL-18 (great flasher BTW) and purchased two FL-22HD’s.  One for me, one for the wife and kids to fight over!   HA!

Anyway, we fish primarily in shallow water (usually less than 10 FOW) for panfish. So the FL-22HD sounded like the perfect flasher.

I’m having the same problem with both flashers but one seems worse than the other.

The best way I can describe the issue is in less that 10 FOW  the Zero mark extends down through nearly half the water column and the sensitivity is very poor.  To see the jig, the gain has to be cranked way up and this just make the problem worse.

They seem to work better in the x2 setting in more than 10 FOW but in less than 10 FOW they’re both almost useless.

I contacted Vexilar and they quickly sent out a replacement transducer.  It didn’t seem to make much of a difference.

I’m familiar with how to operate a flasher, the transducer is hanging below the ice and is clean.  I’ve tried every combination of transducer angle, low/norm power, gain, etc.

So, is there anyone out there that can share any FL-22HD info with me?  Does yours work OK in shallow water?

I know, shoulda bought a ___________ (fill in the blank).  Thanks for the advice...

Sorry for the fuzzy mobile phone pics...

Q

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
Re: Vexilar FL-22HD - Are you happy with yours?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:36 AM »
I'm assuming you have the 20 degree beam selected?

I've heard from others that the tri-beams are less accurate than a single beam transducer. Your FL-18 was probobly rocking 19 degrees- I use a 19 degree FL-18 all the time in water as shallow as 6 feet with no issues.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:48 AM »
Yeah, I've got it set on 20, but tried the other 2 to see if it would clear it up.  It doesn't.

I had a dual-Beam (9/19) hooked to the FL-18.  Generally had it set to 19.  Worked great in shallow water. 

That's why this is so disappointing to me.  This thing is sold as the ultimate shallow water flasher.  I sacrificed the ability to to fish deeper than 60' for shallow water performance and right now, they're just not working for me in less than 10FOW.

Q

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:24 AM »
I feel your pain. I've spent many a dollar on "upgrades" and found them to work worse than what I had before.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Have you been switching to the LOW power mode?... from 400 watts to 200 watts in less than 20 fow?

Found it on this youtube vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AofSohfGwk
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Do you have any friends with a vex so you could try either a single or dual-beam ducer on the 22?I think all the ducers are interchangeable ?

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:46 AM »
i have the 20 and with low power mode and gain turn down to just see my jig i can ive fished 8ft with weeds with no problem. i could see my jig goin up an down amongst the weeds  and see the fish come to jig  on the vex. to much power in shallow water not good.
youngster

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:54 AM »
Have you been switching to the LOW power mode?... from 400 watts to 200 watts in less than 20 fow?

Found it on this youtube vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AofSohfGwk

I appreciate the thought but yep, it still doesn't work in Low Power mode.  When it's in Low Power you have to crank the gain even more to see the bottom let alone your jig.  Then the rest of the display fills up with garbage.  Check the top pic.

Good video too. 

Thanks,

Q

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Do you have any friends with a vex so you could try either a single or dual-beam ducer on the 22?I think all the ducers are interchangeable ?

Good idea.  Wish I did but I don't.  I kind of fly solo around here.  Sure wish I wouldn't have already sold my FL18.

Q

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2011, 11:24 AM »
It sounds like a shortcut and it's like a full scale zoom of 20' cut in half.  I thought the 10' was going to be the base for the unit, not a double magnification of the 20' setting.  :o

What's the initial dead zone in the 20' setting?  Is it still about 2-3' feet of dead zone?
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2011, 11:44 AM »
It sounds like a shortcut and it's like a full scale zoom of 20' cut in half.  I thought the 10' was going to be the base for the unit, not a double magnification of the 20' setting.  :o

What's the initial dead zone in the 20' setting?  Is it still about 2-3' feet of dead zone?

I have the same suspicion.  The dead zone is almost cut in half when you switch for 10Ft to 20Ft.  It shrinks down to about the top 1-1/2'

Q

Offline Mr_Jigster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Try going to Vexilars website.  THey have a forum there.  I'm sure one of their pros can get you in the right direction.  Youll usually get a response very quick.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:12 PM »
Try going to Vexilars website.  THey have a forum there.  I'm sure one of their pros can get you in the right direction.  Youll usually get a response very quick.

I've been working with Pat in Technical Support via email.  I think he's being every bit as helpful as he can be.

I was just looking for input from other FL-22HD owners to see if anyone else was experiencing the same kind of issues I am.

Thanks,

Q

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:13 PM »
 :o I know the purpose of the FL-22 was to use 10 foot increments so the entire screen would be visible for that depth. I can see by the pics that the zero mark extends over 1/4 of the screen. What hapens or what does it look like in 20 feet of water? Does it go back to the top? At exaclty what depth does it do it? Just in the ten foot setting?
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:24 PM »
Have you tried it on a different body of water?

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:32 PM »
:o I know the purpose of the FL-22 was to use 10 foot increments so the entire screen would be visible for that depth. I can see by the pics that the zero mark extends over 1/4 of the screen. What hapens or what does it look like in 20 feet of water? Does it go back to the top? At exaclty what depth does it do it? Just in the ten foot setting?

The Zero mark is almost cut in half when you switch from 10 to 20, then continues to get smaller with each increase in depth range.

Q

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:35 PM »
Have you tried it on a different body of water?

Nope, same body of water but in several different locations.  What are you thinking?  Is there a condition that might be present in a particular body of water that might cause this?  The FL-18 always worked well in this body of water.

Q

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:41 PM »
I just think it could be murky or full of plankton, something. Might be worth trying it in a 5gal bucket of tap water. I would definitely try it in some sort of clear water jut to eliminate the possibility of that being an issue. Is there noise from another sonar? It doesn't usually look like that, but you never know.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:43 PM »
Is your transducer set to far under the ice? It could be a reflected signal bouncing back down? I'd try lifting and lowering it while running to see if it improves.

Offline MJS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:44 PM »
 This may be a shot in the dark but , the pictures you posted looks like you have 11% and 15% of battery left or is it 71% and 75%, I know when my older Vexilar batteries would get low they would do strange things.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:52 PM »
When you say the zero mark is cut in half when it goes to X2 is almost sounds like what someone mentioned. It's like it's using it as a zoom feature but I'm aware that's not what it meant for. Yea, make sure the help you get from Vexilar is a real answer to your questions and concerns and not some beat around the bush explanation. Darkwater on here is always talkiing about his FL22 on here. I would imagine he'll chime in  but I think he's always fishing somewhat deeper for eye's. I can't seem to find any real FL-22 videos on the net or youtube to see if what you posted is duplicated in shallow.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2011, 04:12 PM »
I just think it could be murky or full of plankton, something. Might be worth trying it in a 5gal bucket of tap water. I would definitely try it in some sort of clear water jut to eliminate the possibility of that being an issue. Is there noise from another sonar? It doesn't usually look like that, but you never know.

It's definitely dirty Nebraska pond water! HA!  Good idea though.  I'll fill up a garbage can with water from the hose and see if that changes anything.  For sure no other sonar noise.  I rarely see anyone on the lakes and ponds I fish.

Q

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2011, 04:18 PM »
From what I've heard from other users, the FL18 has less of a initial dead zone than the FL20.  Not sure what gives.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2011, 04:19 PM »
Is your transducer set to far under the ice? It could be a reflected signal bouncing back down? I'd try lifting and lowering it while running to see if it improves.

That's another interesting thought.  We only have about 4"-6" of ice right now (warm winter this year...).  I have definitely tried to adjust transducer depth.  I've tried it with and without the float.  I generally don't use the float and suspend the transducer a couple inches below the bottom of the ice against the back of the hole.  It gives me more room to pull all of those Big Bulls (ok, dinks...) through the hole!  HA!

Q

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2011, 04:21 PM »
Just a few easy things to try, good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2011, 04:23 PM »
From what I've heard from other users, the FL18 has less of a initial dead zone than the FL20.  Not sure what gives.

Strange.  I can definitely tell you the dead zone on the 18 was no where near what it is on the 22.  It was nothing more than a small red blip on the 18.  It takes up half of the screen on the 22's that I have.  I could probably live with the large dead zone (although I'd be annoyed), but the combination of the large dead zone and terrible sensitivity in shallow water is killing me.

Q

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Just a few easy things to try, good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks, I appreciate the input.  I want to get to the bottom of this.  Something HAS to be wrong.  A company with the great (and well earned) reputation that Vexilar has would not release the "ultimate shallow water flasher" with such poor performance.  It just doesn't make sense.  I'll definitely let you know how this one works out.

Thanks again.

Q

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Are you running in low power or normal mode. From my experience with my 22HD is that on steep drop offs in low power mode I will see more red as a false bottom reading in low power mode then if you flip it over to normal mode.

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:38 PM »
Also if your on a steep drop the smallest cone seems to provide the best detail.

I do agree try it in a tub of water to see what happens to eliminate it being a head unit issue. I know mine has never done what yours is showing and I have run it from 8' to 30' of water.

Craig

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2011, 03:21 PM »
Hey JimQ, I've noticed that with my 22 the last two times I have been out it has been harder and harder to get the unit set right so I could see my jig.  And also the big orange blob has gotten like yours and covers the first 3 feet of the graph.  I tried everything like you did and nothing seemed to work so today after reading your post I took the 22 in the basement. Got out my FL-8, put them side by side, put the transducers the same level from the basement floor and turned them on.  The 8 worked just fine and the 22 had three feet of orange showing and I had to turn the gain all the way up to pick up the floor.  I then took the ducer off of the 8 and put it on the 22.  The 22 worked just fine then.  I got pictures of this and I'll post them later.  This tells me it has to be the tri beam ducer.  I called Vexilar and they said they have been having this problem and they would send me out a new ducer yet today.  Hopefully this remedies the problem.  I know you got a new ducer from them too.  I think it could also be a bad one.  Let you know when the new ducer comes and I can try it out and see if the problem is gone.  Fin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.