Author Topic: Lazer Hand ice auger  (Read 3441 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
Lazer Hand ice auger
« on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:34 PM »
 I have a Lazer 6" hand ice auger which cuts through the ice with ease. My only complaint about the auger is when you reach the end of the ice it is tough to get it through the last bit of ice to the water. Has anybody else had the this problem? If so did you find away to correct it or is it just the way the Lazer is made? Thanks for the help!
  Matt

Offline oscar411

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lazer Hand ice auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:39 PM »
Yes, I have a 8" and it does the same thing.  It is better with the Swedish blades...check yours.  If they were made in china strike master will replace them for free, just call them and give them your numbers on the blades...great customer service

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:41 PM »
That happens with a lot of hand augers, especially 10 inch ones and I find the best thing to do when it stops at the end is to turn it back a half turn and just go for it and it will cut through the bottom layer of ice.
Sounds like your blades are adjusted and shimmed right if it cuts well at first, so like myself you just have to get use to it.

Bob
Fish Safe For Your Loved Ones

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:47 PM »

Thanks I will look at them and check. The auger is three years old so it is about time for new blades anyway.

Yes, I have a 8" and it does the same thing.  It is better with the Swedish blades...check yours.  If they were made in china strike master will replace them for free, just call them and give them your numbers on the blades...great customer service

Offline bigfjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2011, 11:01 PM »
i put new blades on my 7" and it does it about 1 out of 4 holes :-\

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2011, 11:17 PM »
I find that easing up as it punches through works best.  It bites less as it shaves less.  Sometimes, I just power through it.  Then I pull up on the auger and will usually get two pieces of bottom ice cuts of halve cresecent shapes.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2011, 11:44 PM »
I had the same problem. I looked at the blades and called strikemaster and they sent me a new set. I give them an A+ for customer service. That is why i keep buying there products.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2011, 11:53 PM »
i dont use the lazer hand auger but i did notice that with my lazer power auger if i put pressure (even when not trying to) towards the end of the hole it tries to pull down and get away from ya..

once i dont put ANY pressure @ all then it blasts right thru no problem..

Offline pannyjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2011, 11:59 PM »
I had the same issue with my 6" Lazer in 2009.  I also called the company and they sent me the Swedish blades to replace the Chinese ones.  It was very fast service as well.  This year, I am noticing that the last bit is getting a little more difficult again (not bad, just noticeable).  I have the sharpening tool that they sell, but I hear a lot of people say that you are more likely to ruin your blades if you do it yourself.

pannyjigger.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2011, 12:24 AM »
That happens with a lot of hand augers, especially 10 inch ones and I find the best thing to do when it stops at the end is to turn it back a half turn and just go for it and it will cut through the bottom layer of ice.
Sounds like your blades are adjusted and shimmed right if it cuts well at first, so like myself you just have to get use to it.

Bob

10 inch hand auger???  :o  :o  :o
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Keyser Kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:46 AM »
Its the same with mine. But it cuts like butter!!

Offline Kickinthebass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:07 AM »
I had the same problem. I looked at the blades and called strikemaster and they sent me a new set. I give them an A+ for customer service. That is why i keep buying there products.

Offline Kickinthebass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:09 AM »
I Agree.  Two thumbs up for Strike Master customer service!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:10 AM »
Its normal weather its a hand auger or gas one.  If it cuts the rest of the hole great then your blades are fine.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:55 AM »
There's only one make of auger I've found that NEVER binds on the bottom of the hole - Nils.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:03 AM »
I find that easing up as it punches through works best.  It bites less as it shaves less. 

this is how I do it, it keeps it from binding in the hole.

J-

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:39 AM »
10 inch hand auger???  :o  :o  :o

I have an old Mora 10 inch hand auger and they probably have stopped making them because you need a SUMO WRESTLER with you to hand auger a 10 inch hole in 3 feet of ice which we get here in NorthWestern Ontario.

Bob
Fish Safe For Your Loved Ones

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:43 AM »
off set handles work slick

Offline jvanhees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Man I love the shanty...

My brand new 8" hand Lazer has been giving me some trouble, and I found this wierd being as it is new.  It was hard to break through at the end like the op's, and it seemed almost too aggressive.  THe shavings were 1/4 - 3/8" thick.  Anyways I looked and the blades were made in China, and new ones already on the way from Strikemaster.  I hope this fixes the issues.  Thanks for the info guys
Ducks Unlimited - Huron Valley Chapter

Offline Live2Fish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:59 AM »
That's the reason I can't stand the Lazer augers.  They stick quite a bit at the bottom of the hole.  I still use my 6" Mora and love the thing.  I used to use an 8", but drilling as many holes as I do gets awefully tiring with an 8" Mora. 

Offline jvanhees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:02 AM »
That's the reason I can't stand the Lazer augers.  They stick quite a bit at the bottom of the hole.  I still use my 6" Mora and love the thing.  I used to use an 8", but drilling as many holes as I do gets awefully tiring with an 8" Mora. 

Totally agree, but mine was a gift and I am very greatful!  Last Saturday I drilled about 25 holes and was SPENT.
Ducks Unlimited - Huron Valley Chapter

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:43 PM »
 Looked at my blades today and they are made in Sweden. They still feel pretty sharp. Is there a golden rule to know when to change the blades on the Lazers? That is besides when they wont cut anymore.

Offline Juan bond

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The lakes are full of iceholes!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2011, 04:44 PM »
You will be able to tell when you need new blades!!!!

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:44 PM »

IMHO, mora's are no comparison to lazer's.  I used a mora for 25 years.  When I switched to a larger lazer 3 years ago I couldn't believe the difference! Who knows maybe our mora wasn't shimmed right. but man that thing sucked!

Offline addicted2fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:58 PM »
I need to check and see if i got those blades from china on mine 2 because ive had mine for 1 year its a 7" and absolutely no bite on it the last time i was on the ice it was reallllllly could -40 or so. Me and a buddy had to look for other holes and punch them in. My shoulder is still hurting from pressing down so hard trying to get the blades to connect with the ice. Oh well my nils 8" is on the way hopefully that'll do the trick. If not ill be buying the powerhead for it soon   :o
Dont be Skunked

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:50 PM »
 I agree with DON-E-ICE on that. The Lazer even with it sticking it is WAY,WAY better Than the Mora. IMHO I had a Mora before the Lazer and the difference is night and day. Twice the time for the same size hole with the Mora. Both good augers,just the Lazer drills alot faster with alot less work.

IMHO, mora's are no comparison to lazer's.  I used a mora for 25 years.  When I switched to a larger lazer 3 years ago I couldn't believe the difference! Who knows maybe our mora wasn't shimmed right. but man that thing sucked!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:02 PM »
You guys think it's nice going from a mora to a lazer, try a Nils way easier than a Lazer even with a bigger auger.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:29 PM »
The Lazers cut very fast so you need to learn to apply very light pressure when drilling. I don't know how many years I have on mine (I have three different sizes) and only replaced the blades on my 4" model a year after I had it learning how to use it properly. They all cut like new and get a lot of use every year.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline addicted2fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:33 PM »
How exactly is that? haha cause maybe im holding my chin wrong but i cant get my 7' to even bite into the ice anymore only after 1 season of use. Either your ice is more like butter or i must be doing something wrong with my lazer

The Lazers cut very fast so you need to learn to apply very light pressure when drilling. I don't know how many years I have on mine (I have three different sizes) and only replaced the blades on my 4" model a year after I had it learning how to use it properly. They all cut like new and get a lot of use every year.

:tipup:
NBG

Dont be Skunked

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:40 PM »
How exactly is that? haha cause maybe im holding my chin wrong but i cant get my 7' to even bite into the ice anymore only after 1 season of use. Either your ice is more like butter or i must be doing something wrong with my lazer

Probably bent the blades. Watched a feller take his lazer out of the back of his pickup the other day, noticed he had no blade guard on it.. he proceeded to cuss for 10 minutes that his brand new blades are already dull.... maybe it could have been bouncing in the back of a truck with no guard? LOL  ::)
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.