The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Finding that prime spot  (Read 966 times)

Offline UPPower

• IceShanty Rookie
Finding that prime spot
« on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:51 PM »
What do you guys look for when setting up your shacks?  How do you find that spot where the pike are traveling?

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: Finding that prime spot
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:37 PM »
well I have set up in just about every imaginable situation and I would say the only things I care about is: 1. Is there other fish around and are they prey for my targeted fish (feeding area with allot of small perch/gills) 2. Find out what the bottom looks like (I love my under water camera to scout out a good area) and then find a small difference in that area.....small dip/extra weeds/sand bar/log/gravel-big rock and set up right on or as close as you can cause just a few feet can mean a big difference because I put out 2 spearing shanty's each year and even tho they are always less than 50 yards from one another they yield very different results each year  @)

Offline UPPower

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:42 PM »
So on a really clear lake do you set up right on the edge of the weeds, or do you move ten feet out to improve the visibility of your deeks?

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:06 PM »
So on a really clear lake do you set up right on the edge of the weeds, or do you move ten feet out to improve the visibility of your deeks?

Do you have a lake map showing depths/bottom composure/vegetation/dead heads/flow of water in or out via:creek or river/springs

If this is a really clear lake with few weeds than yes set up near the weeds but make sure you find bait fish and then find the reason why the bait fish are there and where would be a good place for pike to ambush them.

Mark the places that you have set up on and have not done good and you will know not to target it again.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2011, 12:34 PM »
I have had good luck in the past setting up my darkhouse in the exact dip in the weeds that produced the best results while fishing tip-ups previously in the year and from past seasons.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.