The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: VT Deer  (Read 18770 times)

Offline warwin125

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: VT Deer
« Reply #90 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:42 PM »
coyotes and bears do a number on the fawns >:(
SHUT UP AND FISH!

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #91 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:36 PM »
i'd like to have a law allowing us to use lights for coyote hunting, but i'de like restrictions on it during deer season for obvious reasons. i would put a serious dent in them around here with a spot light

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #92 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:03 PM »
coyotes and bears do a number on the fawns >:(

"Predators kill white-tailed deer. Field studies from across the United States, including Pennsylvania, show that predators – notably coyotes, bears, and bobcats – prey on white-tailed deer. Predation is a natural form of mortality for white-tailed deer.
Predators impact young fawns most - Predators kill most deer during their first summer (birth to approximately 12 weeks of age). We reported this in our own study during the summers of 2000 and 2001 when we radio-tagged over 200 fawns and monitored them closely to measure cause-specific mortality. Of the fawns killed by predators in our study, 84 percent were killed prior to 9 weeks of age. Coyotes and bears killed similar numbers of fawns. In the South Carolina study, 100 percent of fawns killed by predators were killed within 9 weeks of birth. Despite predation and other mortality causes, 57 to 72 percent of fawns were still alive in Pennsylvania at 9 weeks of age.
Predators have less effect on older deer. In Pennsylvania, the Game Commission has monitored over 1,500 radio-collared deer aged 6 months and older. Based on hundreds of recorded moralities of radio-collared older deer, less than 1 percent was caused by predators. Outside of hunting seasons, deer older than 6 months have survival rates of 80 to 90 percent in Pennsylvania." (Pennsylvania Game Commission, January 2010)

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:15 PM »
I think I heard on the news tonight the board killed the early muzzy season. ;D

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline gatornation

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:07 PM »
They did kill the October muzzleloader option, but my wife happened to be at a meeting tonight with a bunch of legislators and she was able to speak with someone on the house fish and wildlife committee.  She was told that the committee just approved the issuance of a LOT more nuisance permits for only doe.

I can only assume that the small minority of LOUD voices in opposition of the October muzzleloader season forced F&W to get their doe quota one way or the other. 

Thank you ignorant hunters who think you know everything there is to know about deer even though you never studied Odocoileus virginianus in an empirical setting EVER!

So now instead of being able to actually partake in shooting a fine tasting doe with your muzzleloader in reasonable weather in October, you won't and the landowners with crops will be able to kill more of them for themself. 

How do you like that new rule now?

Idiots!

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:11 PM »
i'd like to have a law allowing us to use lights for coyote hunting, but i'de like restrictions on it during deer season for obvious reasons. i would put a serious dent in them around here with a spot light

I know people that use spotlights for coyotes.  I know a guy that freezes his and his sons deer guts and skins and puts them in a big bait pile and in the middle of the night he shines a light.  he gets a lot of them sneaky b@$tard$

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:18 PM »
I don't think it was a small group that apposed it ,I think it was a very large group, but I think what really killed it was when the Vt tourist group got involved.

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #97 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:49 PM »
So now instead of being able to actually partake in shooting a fine tasting doe with your muzzleloader in reasonable weather in October, you won't and the landowners with crops will be able to kill more of them for themself. 

How do you like that new rule now?

Idiots!

Love it, were all Idiots...... step in the right direction. lets see how many nuisanced permits were aproved and how many they were. I have to believe that the amount of nuisance permits is far less than the amount of us "idiots" out there shooting bread does in december... yup i think maybe we should double the doe permits in december and shoot all of them bc I am such an idiot.......

Offline gatornation

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:04 PM »
I don't think it was a small group that apposed it ,I think it was a very large group, but I think what really killed it was when the Vt tourist group got involved.

From what I have heard from several owners of sporting good stores around the state, they were estimating that 75-90% of their customer base were in favor of the proposed October hunt.

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #99 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:15 PM »
A large number of Hunters in the state where very much in favor of the October Muzzle... However, a large group of people who enjoy hiking, biking, horseback ride, leaf peeping, etc.. complained that having firearms in October (during Peak foliage) was a bad idea & could hurt local business & tourism; and although it makes sense to kills does before the rut (and do away with Dec), they where able to paint a devastating picture for Vermont's economy & unfortunately won...

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:22 PM »
would it hurt the economy having a october muzzleloader season, or would it be beneficial? I would think it would draw more hunters in state and outta state to come hunting in vermont during the decent weather.

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #101 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:23 PM »
The doe seasons is all about $$$

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #102 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:26 PM »
yes it is thats why the sell more and more tags every year, doesnt seem that you would grow a heard when shooting more and more does every year. The state has no idea exactly what the heard number is anyways, its all an estimate. The only numbers they know is the kills during the hunting season. They dont take into account, how many are hit by cars, taken by coyotes,  or jacked by douchebags!

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #103 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:27 PM »
The doe seasons is all about $$$

Wish I had a new pie chart... I believe this one is from 06'

Offline iceman55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Jan 21, 2011, 04:13 AM »
The F&W did listen NO NEW MUZZELLOADING DOE HUNT :thumbsup:

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #105 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:18 AM »
The doe season is about balancing a heard.  You think the doe permits at $10 a whack makes a dent in the budget.  Please!!!!  The fact is there are way too many does in this state compared to bucks.  The ratio is not good and all you guys want to make it worse.  I think the early muzzle season would have had a positive effect on our herd.  Shooting does in October makes more sense than shooting them in December now matter how you look at the data.  I am in no way saying we have too many deer in this state, but our buck to doe ratio is way out of whack, and the only way to get that in check is to either A.) say no killing bucks or B.) Kill more does.  I will let you guys choose.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #106 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:01 AM »
Looks like another year of me not buying a hunting license in vermont.  i'll go where they can manage a herd and i have a real chance at a deer.  No doe in october?  stupid, stupid, stupid.  enjoy your deerless hunt in november, 90% of vermont hunters....

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline MHC94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:51 AM »
The doe season is about balancing a heard.  You think the doe permits at $10 a whack makes a dent in the budget.  Please!!!!  The fact is there are way too many does in this state compared to bucks.  The ratio is not good and all you guys want to make it worse.  I think the early muzzle season would have had a positive effect on our herd.  Shooting does in October makes more sense than shooting them in December now matter how you look at the data.  I am in no way saying we have too many deer in this state, but our buck to doe ratio is way out of whack, and the only way to get that in check is to either A.) say no killing bucks or B.) Kill more does.  I will let you guys choose.

We all know the theory behind killing doe's and what it does for the buck to doe ratio but, what do you think all this cold and snow for 3 - 4 months (every year) does to the herd as a whole?  It's sobering hearing people justifying killing more and more doe's even after harsh winters.  Even during a somewhat mild winter, the winter kill is significant.  Vermont is the only state in New England that doesn't seem to acknowledge winter kill when dealing with doe management.  The only time they do is after a 30% decrease in the deer kill during hunting season yet they still issue 23,000 doe permits.....that makes sense!  It's just ridiculous!  I'm with vermonner, this place is a dump and always will be.  Wish as a resident I could just buy a small game and fishing license and call it close enough. 

Offline iceman55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:10 PM »
I don't know what state you came from but Ive been hunting here since 1967 I've seen the deer go from 15000 buck kill whit only doe hunting in bow season to what a sad 6000 buck since all these doe permits started. the doe to buck ratio was even higher then. DOE= bucks I know this is VT but it takes a doe to make a buck. I was a trapper when I was younger I've seen 12 empty deer beds in the snow with one  small deer still curled up dead many that fell through the ice and drowned, my point is let Mother Nature take care of the deer not someone trying to play god. There are other animals out there that need to eat not just us. And if the state so worried about it make the permits FREE.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #109 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:13 PM »
F&G should make it so hunters can kill (and EAT them) more does and even out the pouplation ratio so we have more and bigger,better deer.

Offline MHC94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:35 PM »
iceman55, I was being sarcastic when I said "it makes sense" w/ the doe permits.  The number of doe permits have only gone up every year regardless of whether we have a harsh winter or not which is just stupid.  I do not agree w/ it. 

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Jan 21, 2011, 03:23 PM »
The doe season is about balancing a heard.  You think the doe permits at $10 a whack makes a dent in the budget.  Please!!!!  The fact is there are way too many does in this state compared to bucks.  The ratio is not good and all you guys want to make it worse.  I think the early muzzle season would have had a positive effect on our herd.  Shooting does in October makes more sense than shooting them in December now matter how you look at the data.  I am in no way saying we have too many deer in this state, but our buck to doe ratio is way out of whack, and the only way to get that in check is to either A.) say no killing bucks or B.) Kill more does.  I will let you guys choose.

23000 times 15 is a pretty fair chunk  it will pay 5 wardens salaries!! I would yes it would make a difference

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #112 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:09 PM »
23000 times 15 is a pretty fair chunk  it will pay 5 wardens salaries!! I would yes it would make a difference

exactly BB. big money in those doe permits...

The doe season is about balancing a heard.  You think the doe permits at $10 a whack makes a dent in the budget.  Please!!!!  The fact is there are way too many does in this state compared to bucks.  The ratio is not good and all you guys want to make it worse.  \

And it never will be. We are not Iowa, Illinoise, Kansas... Vermont will not be the trophy state the F&W wants it to be

Offline Timbertrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:45 PM »
I saw 5 deer tonight on Mt. Tabor while out snowmobiling, and judging by how hard they had to try to jump through the snow, it's going to be a harsh winter on the herd

Offline iceman55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Jan 22, 2011, 03:04 AM »
iceman55, I was being sarcastic when I said "it makes sense" w/ the doe permits.  The number of doe permits have only gone up every year regardless of whether we have a harsh winter or not which is just stupid.  I do not agree w/ it. 
I wasn't talking about you must of hit the wrong site. sorry about that. I agree with what you had to say. :thumbsup:

Offline HOOKonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #115 on: Jan 22, 2011, 04:53 AM »
 >:(Shumlin is a idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spook the deer my butt! He just ought to take our new commissioner to Florida and go fishing and let us manage the deer herd. All the states around us have a early hunt and they love it! Bow hunters don't spook deer and neither do youth hunters. We are going to have get together and have our own management policy! One of our biggest problems is posted land , we need more land to hunt on. This year is going to be a disaster to the deer herd if the weather keeps up like this and what a deer hunting season we won't have come fall! Shumlin has got to go!

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #116 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:00 AM »
>:(Shumlin is a idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spook the deer my butt! He just ought to take our new commissioner to Florida and go fishing and let us manage the deer herd. All the states around us have a early hunt and they love it! Bow hunters don't spook deer and neither do youth hunters. We are going to have get together and have our own management policy! One of our biggest problems is posted land , we need more land to hunt on. This year is going to be a disaster to the deer herd if the weather keeps up like this and what a deer hunting season we won't have come fall! Shumlin has got to go!

YES Shumlin is the worlds biggest treehugger. The next four years are goin to be HELL for us hunters.  We need a petition to get him out of here!!!  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline HOOKonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:10 AM »
Shumlin wants the single payer system and he is going eat his words someday! Just keep an eye on his nose and watch it grow somemore!

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #118 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Damn hippie and his nose is 2 feet long!

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #119 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:33 AM »
23000 times 15 is a pretty fair chunk  it will pay 5 wardens salaries!! I would yes it would make a difference

You are trying to tell me the state of vermont sold 23 thousand doe permits this year???????  I want to see that statistic

:cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.