The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Ice Flies who makes there own? Share a pattern?  (Read 6900 times)

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
Ice Flies who makes there own? Share a pattern?
« on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:59 PM »
So how many of you out there tie flies? Well when the fishing gets tough...maybe the weather, maybe the pressure, I will go to a ice fly unheigted, no bait, tied on a dropper above my weighted bait tipped with a spike for most panfish.

My favorite pattern is what I call a "fresh water shrimp" it has a peacock hearl body, follwed with a wrap of brown hackle over the peacock and a back tied over all of it made of a goose feather, grey. Trim the hackle to make it look like little legs...sort of a wooly bugger pattern. I will tie this on long shank 18 to 12 hook....caught me alot of fish over the years!

Have a pattern you want to share?

Offline TK81

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Flies who makes there own? Share a pattern?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2011, 02:37 PM »
How bout a pic of that fly?  I have a couple store bought flies, but haven't seen too much of a selection at the shops I frequent.  I stopped at Great Lakes in Rockford and bought some tungsten head trout flies, but haven't had much of a chance to use them yet.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2011, 02:52 PM »
Been tying almost 2 years now.  This is the only fly I got on photobucket so here it is.  I got more on the "homemade ice flies" thread in the general ice fishing chit chat section.  There are 6 pages of flies on that thread if you can find it.

A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2011, 02:59 PM »
Been tying almost 2 years now.  This is the only fly I got on photobucket so here it is.  I got more on the "homemade ice flies" thread in the general ice fishing chit chat section.  There are 6 pages of flies on that thread if you can find it.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
Nice lookin fly....I see it is weighted....how do you fish it? My camera is broke or I would post a picture of mine!

Offline scoutb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2011, 03:31 PM »
Thanks for the tip icemantwo.  Here's a link for the rest of you to the thread he referenced.  I definitely need to tie some of these.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=161340.0
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.  ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:40 PM »
Nice lookin fly....I see it is weighted....how do you fish it? My camera is broke or I would post a picture of mine!
I put it on vertically normally and fish it like a jig.  It has a tungsten bead so it weighs more than most jigs. If they're really fussy I got a lighter one with a plastic bead and I found if you try to put it on at a 45 degree angle with 2 spikes they slurp it up. They really like it when they're real finnicky. A few days ago I could barely get a bite on a Fiska and then switched to that and they were biting it so good I couldn't get it down fast enough.

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:11 PM »
P.M.....Waxworm hes on Indiana sight alot.He makes flies.He is my brother-in-law. :tipup:

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:29 PM »
http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/fly-pattern-recipe/wet/pheasanttail.shtml  Don't do much with flies on ice much anymore, not sure why. Tied the PT on a 1/100 or 1/80 fly jig head, about as good an imitation of a wiggler there is. I use the tons of Turkey feathers that seem to be laying around

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:08 PM »
http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/fly-pattern-recipe/wet/pheasanttail.shtml  Don't do much with flies on ice much anymore, not sure why. Tied the PT on a 1/100 or 1/80 fly jig head, about as good an imitation of a wiggler there is. I use the tons of Turkey feathers that seem to be laying around
Tungsten beadhead PHs are one of my favorite flies.  They do look a lot like a wiggler and are fairly flashy with a beadhead and copper wire.  I use them a lot for deeper summer gills along with a stonefly pattern I make.  I found that a lot of the patterns me and a buddy tie for steelhead (mostly big nymphs based on trout patterns) on a size 6-8 hook are monsters for big gills in the summer.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:26 PM »
http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/110705fotw.php Killer in and around weeds, year around. Olives are a favorite, though pale pink is used often. Think I throw so many flies in open water I'm tired of them on ice  ;) ;D

Offline fishmastaZERO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:17 AM »
Looks like a copper john with lead instead of wire
If you smoke it they will come

Offline JimF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2011, 06:28 AM »
Old Killer..!!

Hook: Size 14 or smaller - 2 or 3XL shank. Carefully bend a short 90 degree up at the eye. Makes a small jig hook. Weight the bend portion using a small clamp on split shot.It should hang horizontal. ]Homemade micojig] Paint it with 3 coats of finger nail polish [white or your color choice.]

Tail: Marabou feather short as long as hook shank. Colors white, olive, yellow etc. Light colors seem to be better.

Body: Chenille or wool or dubbing to color match. Overwrap a silver or gold tinsil in a spiral.

Hackle: A few turn of a body matching color feather for legs.

Add painted eyes[ finger nail polish- use toothpicks or small sticks. 2 sizes=] 

Tip: Pinch down the hook barb at step one. Easier to remove from fish and yourself, especially children .A homemade micro jig. See how small you can go with the micro-shot lead. Experiment !! Fish with a small wire spring bobber and wach for upbites.

JimF

Offline chevy343

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:42 AM »
Not really ice flies but I tied a few of these for some crappie.
#10 Scud Hook,chenille bodies and 5/32 painted brass bead

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2011, 04:23 PM »
WOW, all I can say is dos are pretty.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline fishmastaZERO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2011, 01:26 AM »
I like to use D rib tungsten head midges as a dropper off a frosty spoon works like magic and the midges
Are a simple tie........size 10 or 12 scud hook silver tungsten beads I think 5/32" u jus tie in the d rib n wrap up to the bead n tie it off whip n ready to go ...I would post a pic but I can't figure out how to from my droid
If you smoke it they will come

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:46 AM »
Does anyone have a pattern specifically for perch they'd like to share??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.