The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: champlain rules  (Read 1327 times)

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
champlain rules
« on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:27 PM »
according to the law book, if you are fishing for salmon you are only allowed 6 lines. if you have 15 out, can a warden ticket you and say you were fishing for salmon or can you just say you were out for lakers or something like that. has anyone ever had this problem come up?

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: champlain rules
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:30 PM »
tell them you are fishing for browns

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:31 PM »
never head that rule before, is it new? never had a problem with it before either

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:45 PM »
I guess if you say your fishing for salmon your busted but just say you are fishing for browns, or lakers and there is nothing they can do
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline MRwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2011, 03:07 AM »
Where are U fishing. Never heard of this law and I have fished for Salmon a lot in the past. I know that on the Connecticut River your only allowed 6 line no matter what your fishing.

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:10 AM »
I would just say that I was fishing for lakers and browns, and then theres nothing they can do.

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:10 AM »
Where did you read that?  I see Champlain no more than 15 lines, on page 48 (ice fishing)  In the index of lakes and ponds (where all special restrictions are listed, page 94) it doesn't say anything about fewer lines for salmon.  Table 3, page 109 says salmon fishing is open all year by angling and icefishing, nothing about fewer lines.

I'd say you must have been looking at the CT River regs.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:21 AM »
i was talking to a man fishing for them on champlain a few years back and he showed me in the law book where it said that. i couldn't find it in this years book either. maybe it has been changed. i'm going to ask a warden

Offline razzledazzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish H8 me
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:40 AM »
I would just say that I was fishing for lakers and browns, and then theres nothing they can do.

Why do we need to cheat? 
Follow the rules...in addition to being a fisherman, be an honest one!
Fish H8 me ™
www.fishH8me.com

Gerry

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:21 AM »
5 or 6 lines are fine for me....saves alot of bait money now!
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline Grnmtn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:03 AM »
yup... then they get all ugly when you want to cut a few holes of your own.

I don't believe you can point out that these tip ups are for salmon and these are for trout. I know on the other lakes and ponds it is a number lines per person which includes your jigging stick while you are watching for flags. Don't fish the big lake much.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:03 PM »
As big as champlain is, there is plenty of space for everyone. When we run 15 lines we aren't putting 50 yards between each trap. If you guys want the better fishing spots get up earlier. And yes, I almost always run 15 lines- smaller areas = smaller spreads. Also, we wouldn't be pissed if other fishermen ASKED to fish in our spread. I have no problem with fishrmen in my spread if they aren't drilling holes right next to my tip ups but I have dealt with enough poor fishermen to see that it is an issue on both sides.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:10 PM »
If you guys want the better fishing spots get up earlier.

;)

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Wow...mmm on the bright side I fished next to some guys the other day who were drilling holes all over but staying away from others,  they drilled a few within 50 yards or so of us.  they were good guys, gave my kid and his buddy a lesson on jigging, as we seldom jig.  i've been lucky i guess but i also know of guys that have bad experiences.  also i read the law book every year pretty good on whereever im fishing and have never seen anything about 6 tip ups on champlain.  

as far as 15 tip ups i usually fish alone and my gosh it takes me forever to get 8 or 10 in, flags goin off taken a break or whatever

Offline Grnmtn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:34 PM »
I think the problem with selling your catch may be one of where you are. There was a lake over here on the east side of the state that was a pretty good producer of nice perch. Word got out about it and a few guys showed up that were taking them to NY to sell them. They did hurt the population to the point it still hasn't quite recovered. Smaller lakes and ponds can't take the pressure of a commercial oriented program like Champ' can.

As far as the hole drilling thing around others... sometime life gets in the way and you can't get there earily because of work or family things. I always ask, but had one experince a number years ago on silver lake where I got there for an afternoon session. Slot I usually fish was open, but had some guys past where I usually set up with a string of tip ups. No issues I thought I was 50 yards away. Now I am a percher and had this area wired, I drilled one hole, flipped over the cover of my shelter... only to hear a string of F this and f that what do you think your doing... after asking mind you, then the beer can flinging... came over to with in a few feet of me and started punching hole with his power auger... I just picked up and moved alittle farther away and started fishing again... He left soon after that but more screaming as he left, not to use his holes... I guess it is like anything there are all kinds that make up this world.

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:42 PM »
If you go to the Table 3, on page 109 in the 2011 Fish and Game Guide. As far as I know, you can use 15 tip-ups on lake Champlain, during ice fishing.  On Lake Champlain, you can fish, for Brk, Brn and Rainbow trout during regular  Angling season, ice fishing season, and the fish, need to make a min length of 12", with no more than three, of these species.  Also, Landlocked Salmon and Lake Trout need to be 15" or more, and 3 daily limit for Lakers and 2 daily limit for Salmon.  You can put out 15 Tipups, for ice fishing. ;D ;D  On Page 48, it states under, ICE FISHING : A person may take fish only by using not more than eight lines, except on Lake Champlain where no more than fifteen lines may be used.  He or she must have a immediate control over all lines, etc.  Page 109, would help you the most, but yes, you can have 15 Tip-ups, out on Lake Champlain, as was stated before, on Page 48.

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:10 PM »
Also, on Page 103, on Lake Seymour, in Morgan, Vermont, you can only Ice fish, with no more than four lines.  So, just keep reading the Fish and Game Guide. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.