Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Eastern Iowa ice fishing  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Iowa ice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If the bobbers under set the hook.
Eastern Iowa ice fishing
« on: Dec 27, 2004, 12:15 PM »
A friend of mine, and myself hit the back waters of the Mississippi around Clinton on Friday, and Sunday. We hit the jackpot. There is 5/7" of ice and the early bite is on. We caught over 100 fish, mostly gills, and kept about 25 to eat on Friday. Sunday we took my 3yr. old daughter. I couldn't catch a thing, but she was on fire. She ended up with 57 Gills, and 15 Crappies. My buddy caught about double the Gills, and a hand full of big ole hog ring perch. We're gonna hitter hard again this weekend.

See ya on the ice, just don't drill 10" from me. THere's plenty of ice on the water to fish on.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "............Holy crap.............what a ride!"

dubiceman

Re: Eastern Iowa ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2004, 07:55 PM »
Good to hear you got on some fish Iowa Ice, me and some buddies fished browns today and caught around 100 gills and we each took home 25 for a meal. Gonna head back down tomorrow. Where at around clinton were you fishing?

Dubiceman

Offline Iowa ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2004, 09:10 AM »
We were fishing the Rock Creek area. How's the ice in Brown's? I thought about there, but I'm all ways worried about thin ice. Is there enough to get the quads out yet? Were ya fishin' the upper end? The first deep slough on the North end is where we usually get'em at first ice. We fish the weed edges in a couple of feet of water, on the edge of the drop offs. Well good luck to ya. save some for the rest of us. Hey how many people were out and about in Browns? Once the word gets out, which it won't from me, that place gets packed.

Talk to ya soon. :tipup:
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "............Holy crap.............what a ride!"

camanchefisher

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2004, 07:29 PM »
hey, Ive been fishing the camanche marina and have been having luck on a small jig and a wax worm, i want to kno if the ice is still thick on rock creek because i want to fish it tommorow.

Offline Iowa ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:04 AM »
Sure is. I was there yesterday afternoon and there was still 51/2-6"

camanchefisher

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2004, 06:02 PM »
Do you drive a blue blazer or a black pickup because i saw one parked down at rock creek and i know like everyone that lives in the cabins, Just wondering?

dubiceman

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2004, 07:31 PM »
Iowa Ice,

There was 8 in. of ice and mostly everyone down their had quads.  There was around 15 others fishing and everyone seemed to be catching fish. We caught all of ours along the drop offs and the fish seemed to be schooling up pretty good and when they came through it was non stop action. Im sure by this weekend it will be pretty crowded, and like you said the word spreads fast.

dubiceman

camanchefisher

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2004, 08:15 PM »
Hey guyz, isnt browns up by sabula somewhere plz lemme kno where it is because my father is from sabula and doesnt kno where it is.

Offline Iowa ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2004, 05:41 AM »
 camanchefisher, Browns is right over the dike from Green Island. If you park in the Blakes parking lot and walk over the dike, thru the trees onto the ice, and keep walking, and walking, and walking. Your into Browns. If you don't have a quad it's a long hike to where the fish are usually bitein'. Hope this helps ya.

camanchefisher

« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2004, 08:07 AM »
hey, thanks i have a quad so i might give it a try. I duck hunt green island but im not very familiar with the names n stuff of the boat ramps

Offline Iowa ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2004, 08:54 AM »
If your gonna run your quad up there you better check and see if they're gonna let run on the dike with out snow. They usually don't, and it's a $125 fine + court cost. This I know from experience.  :( I'll probable be up there some time this weekend. Gotta try and fill my last bow tag first tho.

camanchefisher

« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2004, 03:22 PM »
There are a bunch of people fishing rock creek and i went down there today and there is still 5 to 6 inches of good ice, i might try to fish it tomorrow.

ice duffy

« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2004, 08:02 AM »
when you guys are talking Rock creek are you talking about the lake in Jasper county?

camanchefisher

« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2004, 03:45 PM »
Nope, rock creek is between follets and camanche and there is also a campground by it called Rock creek park and most people fish sodas creek which is the little body of water just off of rock creek.

any_luc

« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2005, 12:30 AM »
Can I get an update on the ice conditions around Clinton / Savanna?

camanchefisher

« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2005, 08:37 AM »
last time i went fishing was yesterday jan 7 at the camanche marina and it was 5" thick but there was 2" of water over it and another 3" of sno but it still held us.

Offline Iowa ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2005, 05:43 AM »
I fished the Clinton, Savanna area all weekend long with out any problems at all. The ice is still real good, the water on the other hand isn't as good. It is getting real dark, and on the rise, and from the looks of the weather report it's only gonna get worse with the warming weather. Good luck to all. See ya on the ice. Ice fishing tournament Jan. 22 @ Rock Creek.

camanchefisher

« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2005, 12:09 AM »
I went fishing today and yesterday at the camanche marina and caught a bunch of hand sized gills, today we were fishing in the rain but the ice was still 5 in. thick in most places and it was light rain, but the gillls are still biting. See u all at the rock creek ice fishing tourney January 22. Hopefully i place in the top 3 got alot of good spots this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.