The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fished Colchester pond today  (Read 1373 times)

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fished Colchester pond today
« on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Bite was slow. Kept one norther for supper. A few inches of snow on top of 8" of ice.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fished Colchester pond today
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:58 PM »
30" taste.

Offline bud-fish-er

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:43 PM »
colchester pond bite has gone way down in the past couple of years.  i have seen pic of northans the size of power auger that were caught out of that pond..  i know that you guys like the taste of a northan, but we better be careful.  if everone keeps keeping fish from the pond I think that the northan population will go way down. 

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:59 PM »
The northern population has been way down for a longtime on Colchester pond.  It started to happen when people heard about the big pike and waves of people started showing up and keeping everything they caught.  I used to go when I was in college and there were groups of 10-15 people with max tipups out per person keeping every northern they caught.  Im talking 20-30 fish each day.  They were taking them out in trash bags they had so many.  I saw this happen too many times and saw the fishing go through the floor.  I dont even bother going there for pike anymore because of how bad its gotten. 
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2010, 03:42 AM »
Not sure why keeping one for supper warrents a be careful remark? I mention a slow bite and the answer is the pond is fished out, I don't think so. The pond has become stunted, but not depleated. It's location right in the chitt county doesn't help the pressure thats for sure.

Offline diamondsteel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2010, 06:33 AM »
I fished it yesterday morning too.  caught a decent handful of perch, 2 northerns on a perch jig, and a bullhead too (all released).  was there sunday and didn't have much action.  I caught a bunch of northern and perch last year.  most seemed very healthy, some were 7-8 lbs.  I wouldn't say its fished out, but sure its going to change over time-- all of the waters in the north east are a lot different than they were 100 years ago.  or even 30 years.  Still a great place to fish close to burlington, and with the restrictions they enforce (or dont?  I heard a few power augers running yesterday morning) it seems further away than it is.   

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:48 AM »
Campfindit2, Im sorry I wasnt trying to say anything towards you, I was more venting my frustration at the people who were taking so many out of there.  I think its perfectly fine to take a fish for dinner, I do it often.  I just read yours and others posts about the pond and remember how good it used to be.  That was all I was trying to say.  I was also not trying to say its fished out but its not what it used to be.  Local people were never the problem, it was all the people moving here that did this because they did not understand taking that many fish everyday would kill the good fishing.  So I apologize if you felt that I ws getting on you
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline bradleyroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:08 AM »
Still a great place to fish close to burlington, and with the restrictions they enforce (or dont?  I heard a few power augers running yesterday morning) it seems further away than it is.   

I have only fished their twice, so just to help my understanding, are power augers not allowed on Colchester pond?

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:21 AM »
The official wording is no motors of any kind.  There was a sign a few years ago that said no gas augers but I haven't seen it recently.  I haven't seen too many gas augers out there but I do find a lot of 10" holes...

Offline bradleyroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:42 AM »
Hmm, so It sounds like kind of a gray area to me... Good to know however, thanks for the info!

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:19 AM »
do you consider a four wheeler being a vessel?

Offline bud-fish-er

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:48 AM »
i have gotten checked out on colchester before and had a power auger with me.  the game warden did not say anything about it.

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:51 AM »
not in my book, giggity!

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2010, 11:00 AM »
The property belongs to the Winooski parks dist I know 4 wheelers are a no no.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2010, 11:30 AM »
If only I wasn't too lazy to trudge to the north end, great fishing there in the summer but would be a crappy walk with all the ice fishing gear. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.