The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Swallowed Hooks  (Read 1106 times)

Offline ifslob28

• Team IceShanty Regular
Swallowed Hooks
« on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:35 AM »
Just wondering, a lot of times when you catch a fish on a tip up they swallow the hook.  I have heard from a lot of people that instead of pulling the hook out you can cut the line and the hook will dissolve.  Is this true?  Is it better to just keep the fish that swallowed the hook because they will probably die?

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
Re: Swallowed Hooks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:38 AM »
I have learned through fishing open water that it is much better to cut the line as close to the hook as possible and the fish has a much better chance than tearing its insides out.  the hook will usually rust out from the inside of the stomach and fall out.  I have done this with fish in livewells for tournaments and they have lived all day and been put back into the lake after the weigh in
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:01 AM »
Cut the line close to the hook unless the hook is just on the lip,fish shouldn't even be taken out of the water. we always leave the fish at the hole (still in the water except for the head )and cut the line.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:05 AM »
Just keep in mind that many newer, more expensive hooks are not the same old ones used years ago. They are designed to last. So eventhough you may cut the line, depending on where and how that fish is hooked, it's feeding may be impeded to the point that it may eventually die anyway.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline charlie9973

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:37 AM »
#! If the fish is undersize or out of season IT MUST BE RELEASED!

#2 buy & use only plane steel hooks.

#3 a 50/50 chance is a better deal for the fish IMO release as gently & quickly as possible.

Offline fishn freak13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2010, 11:17 AM »
I always cut the line when fishing for trout and the hook is swallowed, i use a single size 8 VMC hook which is a pretty high quality hook and in the summer i catch alot of trout so i took a buddy of mine out who wanted to catch a nice brown so we caught a bunch and he got one 7 lber that he wanted to keep, so when i cleaned the fish there was 5 of those VMC hooks in the fish all working there way down the digestive system and some were even partially dissolved from the stomach acid......so yes it is true the hook will dissolve and it wont hurt the fish any to cut the line.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2010, 11:22 AM »
I too have found partially dissolved hooks in lakers stomachs

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2010, 01:13 PM »
i always cut my line, this is a good reason not to use steel leaders

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2010, 06:10 PM »
i always cut my line, this is a good reason not to use steel leaders
When fishing for the large pretator fish what do you use for your leader and what frequency do you get cutoff lines when landing them???

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2010, 06:15 PM »
i have always used 20lb flouro and only cut off a couple a year. just last week i switched to 50lb after loosing a 20lb + fish at the hole

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2010, 06:21 PM »
i have always used 20lb flouro and only cut off a couple a year. just last week i switched to 50lb after loosing a 20lb + fish at the hole
Thanks for the response. I've used 10 and 12 pound but get many break offs. Thought using anything heavier would be too stiff for the bait fish... maybe I need to upsize my bait. How large are the bait you typically use???

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2010, 06:26 PM »
i use med. and large when at my shanty on st. catherine and use the biggest shiners i can get for champlain, also perch when i jig a few up. i fished yesterday with the 50 and i had a few mediums on and the line was always off the side of the hole when i checked them, so it must not be too stiff

Offline huletts1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2010, 06:27 PM »
If they swallowed it don't even pull on it, just cut it as short as you can
He'll be back

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2010, 06:40 PM »
i use med. and large when at my shanty on st. catherine and use the biggest shiners i can get for champlain, also perch when i jig a few up. i fished yesterday with the 50 and i had a few mediums on and the line was always off the side of the hole when i checked them, so it must not be too stiff
Thanks for your help. I'll try some heavy fluor. next time for my leader.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.