The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: big bait trick  (Read 1314 times)

Offline vtfish32

• IceShanty Rookie
big bait trick
« on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:05 PM »
For everyone who hates bait flags here is a trick I use. Some of you might do this anyway.I take a wooden clothespin and drill a hole the same diameter as the screw you are using so you do not split the wood. Then drill a small pilot hole in your tip-up so you do not split your tip-up and screw the clothespin to your tip-up. I use wood instead of plastic because of the cold. I use a rubberband around the end of the clothespin for more pressure for real big stuff, just double or triple the rubberband for added pressure.
Nothing like walking on water!!!

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: big bait trick
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:11 PM »
GOOD IDEAH

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:44 PM »
i've done this for years but always gorilla glued the clothes pin to the tip-up. i usually spread the spring to ease up on the pressure a bit for shiners just big enough to trip the flag. i put up to 10 inch perch on mine at times and never have one trip it. it also works well on windy days, if the wind trips the flag and the line is still in the pin you know nothing hit the bait

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Huh, I'll have to try that out with a few of my tip ups.  Do you have many stolen baits with no flags due to the amount of pressure it take to pull the line out of the clothes pin?

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:02 PM »
Definitely a good idea. Too bad we cant buy bait big enough to trip the flag in VT.

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:14 PM »
i wonder if some wood glue would work as well, less of a chance splitting your tip up from not drilling them out

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Huh, I'll have to try that out with a few of my tip ups.  Do you have many stolen baits with no flags due to the amount of pressure it take to pull the line out of the clothes pin?
i never have a bait stolen on mine, i stretch the spring a little to ease up some of the pressure. just put your line barely in the corner of the pin

Offline Magog Landshark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:23 PM »
Sometimes when I catch a jacksmelt on Magog I like to put it on a Heritage and set it over 25 FOW to see if a big Laker is hungry.  This set up would work very well for that application.
Farewell and adieu, to you fair spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've just received orders, for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore, shall we see you again.
-Quint

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2010, 07:08 AM »
Definitely a good idea. Too bad we cant buy bait big enough to trip the flag in VT.
No sht huh !!! Good idea...I remove the reel pin and replace with a stove bolt w/two plastic washers and a spring on one side w/plastic wing nut to adjust tension. Fairly cheap upgrade. I like the clothes pin though ! :thumbsup:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:13 AM »
thats an awesome idea!  Gotta love custom mods!
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2010, 05:08 PM »
I've been using the cloths pins for years. I use zip ties to attach them to the tip ups tough...

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.