The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: CO license checks  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
CO license checks
« on: Dec 26, 2010, 03:21 PM »
Having just read about the "dinks left on the ice" you never see a CO when you want to. In the 40+ years of hunting and fishing I have done I have only been checked twice. Im sure they have been around and I missed them. How about you???

Offline Mich-Again

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: CO license checks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2010, 04:01 PM »
Last winter, I noticed a CO on Muskegon Lake as I was getting on, but he had already been through the spot I was going to, so I didn't get checked.  My license is in my fishing box, but sometimes I take it out when I get home.  I'm sure the day I get checked will be the same day I forgot to grab it on my way out.

Offline raisedbywolves01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2010, 04:11 PM »
Got checked on Higgins last year. CO was really cool tho. Even gave me some tips.

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2010, 04:32 PM »
I usually get checked every year on the ice and sometimes more than once . . . especially if there is a fishing tournament going on at the time. I've never had a problem with it and they have always been cordial.
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Got checked a few times over the years.......and I believe it was last year out on Muskegon lake...checked me while driving my quad on the ice pulling my shanty...........I was a good boy and had my helmet AND eye protection on so he just checked my license and I was on my way in 3 minutes.........he said he had issued quite a few no helmet and/or eye protection tickets that day............glad to see him out there...

Offline lvwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:39 PM »
Having just read about the "dinks left on the ice" you never see a CO when you want to. In the 40+ years of hunting and fishing I have done I have only been checked twice. Im sure they have been around and I missed them. How about you???

If you only knew how many times you've more than likely been watched in those forty some years. 
NRA Life Member

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:45 PM »
I'm 28 and fish the Pinckney rec area since I was a kid and only one twice I've been checked in the winter. Both times on Joslin lk. The first time the CO walked from shanty to shanty on the lake checking for licenses in about a 10 degree 30 mph windy day. The other was first rideable ice test running the snowmobiles unloading them at the launch. And with the combination of all the boating, fishing, snowmobiling, duck hunting, hunting and ice fishing I do, I NEVER see the CO. I really wish I would run into them more often! Knowing that the people out there that deserve to run into them would have more to worry about!
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Saw the CO officer last year 4 times.  Only checked the license once.  Most of the time they were checking my fish count and doing a general creel census.

Offline greatlakescallco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:53 PM »
CO's use binoculars a lot and rule out a lot of walking on the ice....so my buddy says....who is a co

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:00 PM »
There is not as many CO's as there should be cause they cost money that the government doesn't want to give up  >:(  It sucks that the people who treat my state like crap get away with it  :(

Offline stagdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:42 PM »
I agree Higgins, I wish there were more CO's out there.  I follow the rules and it ticks me off when I see people that don't.  I have called a couple of times but with the shortage of officers nobody showed.  Our fees should go to promote hunting and fishing but the people in Lansing keep raiding it to cover everything else.

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2010, 12:08 AM »
I rabbit hunt in State Game Areas a lot, and I get checked about every year.  On the ice I get checked about every other year.  It is almost always the same officer, and I think she recognizes me now.  I get checked once while fly fishing on the PM.  I had my fishing license but didn't bring my driver's license.  The officer explained that I needed to have both, but didn't issue any ticket.

Offline terry fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2010, 05:47 AM »
41 years old now, started ice fishing at 14 years old, fish 4 times a week, been checked 0 times.
Fish on !

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:08 AM »
they stop and get warm and visit with me a few times a year ,last year they set up blockades in 2 different spots on Oneida Lake ,as the guys came of the ice they checked fish,snowmobiles ,ATV ,licences, trailers ,and if you were towing a flip over or hard shack it has to have a ridged tow system ,lots of unhappy guys those couple of days ,remember they are only a phone call away [COs]

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:11 AM »
I've been checked several times over the years and as long as you are obeying the laws it should'nt be an inconvenience to be checked and have a chat with the CO's....

Offline runswithdeer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:19 AM »
Never been checked on the ice.  At the parking area or launch (soft water fishing) I have been checked a couple of times.  Last time I was checked coming off the ice all he checked was ATV, didn't ask to see fish or license. 
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy..."

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:21 AM »
only been checked once, actually wish it was more than that. Wish the budget was such that they could put out more than just a couple of CO's per county.

J-

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:28 AM »
come  to allegan co.. i see them 3 times a year stealhead season icefishing season and deer gun hunting.oh yeah bass opener.ive been checked at minor  lake almost every time bass fishing and once got checked in the morning and night there in the same day.i go to relax not get harrassed.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:10 AM »
Once

Took an older (70's) gentleman neighbor of mine 1 time and we got checked. I didn't know he didn't have a license but he explained to the CO that this was only the 2nd time in his life he ever iced fish and probably would never go again (and he didn't). CO was real good about it, let him off with a warning, but told him next time...
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2010, 09:36 PM »
Was checked this year on first trip out. He was very nice about it and was talking about needing to get out on the ice himself.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2010, 11:14 PM »
Used to get checked 2 or 3 times a year, over the last 15yrs only once

Offline jvanhees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:02 AM »
I buy over a hundred bucks in tags/licenses every year, never been checked.  I havent even seen a CO very many times, ever.
Ducks Unlimited - Huron Valley Chapter

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:45 AM »
You may not see them, but in the prime areas they see you.  If you see someon violating, make a call.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline Playin_Hooky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:51 AM »
I buy over a hundred bucks in tags/licenses every year, never been checked.  I havent even seen a CO very many times, ever.

But you know the very second you skip out and don't buy that license or permit you will get nailed the very second you get out there. My brother one year after buying $100's worth of license year after year. He skipped out and didn't buy a license one morning because he put it off and we couldn't find an open dealer early that morning. He just said "screw it I won't get checked I'll buy one after we get done fishin" Yeah bad mistake we were only fishing about an hour and here came the man. Actually he looked my brother up when he called into base and gave my brother a lot of slack because he seen he was an avid license buyer and didn't nail him for everything he could have. But he still got a ticket for no license. You know I think that really broke my mrother spirt. Because he hasn't been hunting or fishing with me a handful of times since that. He and I both know it was his own fault. But he just lost the spirt and hasn't been. Kinda sad maybe I'm gonna call him now and see if he will go with me tommorow  ;D
Screaming drags and tip-ups flyin all winter long that's what I'm all about ~* Dustin Wright *~

Offline Blue83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:44 AM »
Never seen one on hard water. Seen the boat, seen them driving, did have one come up to me while i was fishing, but he didn't even ask for my license.

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Bowwowed My Biro's ATV three years ago to go ice fishing on Gull, had the helmet, goggles everything but my brother forgot to tell me he did not have a valid ORV sticker on it  My fault should of thought about it seeing he only uses the darn thing to plow his driveway with....that cost me $125.

Offline 10FrozenToes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:31 PM »
I have been checked more than 2 dozen times but i almost live in the woods. i keep mine with my drivers license so i have it all the time.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2011, 04:17 PM »
I've been checked several times. Always make sure to ask if they have any insight on where the best fishing is and which lakes to avoid for bad ice.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Snoman2005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2011, 04:41 PM »
Been checked several times over past 23 years (requiring a license).  Almost always legal.  :)

About 6 years ago I was coming off a lake near Marquette, and was loading my kayak on top of my car.  The C.O. pulls up and asked how I was doing.  I told him I had a nice day, two hits, lost one walleye at the surface.  He says "Aww that's too bad.  What were you using for bait?"  "I was using crawler harnesses," I tell him.  He smiles and says "Aghhh, this is an artificial bait only lake.  Didn't you know that?"

Well I didn't.  He was so cool.  Turned out that we had a mutual friend, whom told me to fish night crawlers on that lake.  He laughed and said he couldn't wait to see our friend. 

Growing up in Northern Michigan, I grew up with an A**hole for a C.O..  He gave being a C.O. a bad name.  So glad all the ones I have met since growing up are nothing like him. 

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:46 PM »
You may not see them, but in the prime areas they see you.  If you see someon violating, make a call.

My buddy called twice this year for poachers and road hunters. He even had vehicle description and plates. No response. He was told it's up to the CO in the area to choose to respond or not. No response.

Very frustrating.

"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.