The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Arctic Armor  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
Arctic Armor
« on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:52 PM »
Decided that since I am out there just about every day I better get a suit that has flotation. I watched the videos and decided to get Arctic Armor. I went to Gander Mt in Plattsburg and picked up a suit. Warm and has plenty of pockets for gear and as luck would have it the 3rd day I wore it a friend fell through and spent about 10 minutes in 20' of water before another guy and I were able to get him out. Having the Arctic Armor gave me the confidence to stretch out on that cracking and sinking ice and grab the guy who was in the water. If you fish on ice especially early or late ice buying Arctic Armor might be a wise decision.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Arctic Armor
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:40 PM »
I don't know if I'd wear the artic armour bibs with anything but an artic armor jacket. Think about what might happen if you go in. The jacket could soak up the water, making it heavier, bringing the upper part of your body lower and lower in the water, while the artic armour bibs keep the lower part of your body above water. It may be difficult to stay upright in the water after a few minutes.

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:00 PM »
I'm not familiar with the mustang jacket. I just read that and after watching a video showing how wet clothing will make you sink the more water it soaks up, I just wanted to mention it. Stay safe.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:15 AM »
I didn't get in the water but was prepared to either if we couldn't get him out and he was going down or if the ice broke under us. It was less than 1" thick and he kept breaking it when he tried to climb out. The other rescuer and I separated to keep our weight from being too close and low crawled on our bellies to the edge where we were able to get him out. He was getting real tired and we had a small window of opportunity to get it done. I am really glad I didn't have to test the suit out. It is important to understand the Arctic Armor isn't a USCG rated floatation equipment. I plan to test it out this summer when the water is warm just to know how buoyant the suit really is. The video and ads for it say it will hold the person wearing it and 2 others. I don’t know how this is possible but if it just keeps the wearer up then it is a plus.

Offline webster2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2010, 11:38 AM »
I am planning on getting the bibs and jacket. My husband is never cold but I am always cold, plus I like that flotation aspect.  Glad to know Gander Mtn. carries it.  How did you find the sizing runs, in case I order on line?  Thanks!

Offline Gipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2010, 02:35 PM »
Growing up on Lake Erie we used (and I continue to use) Mustang Survival suits for ice fishing.  Some people call them floater suits.
Coast Guard approved .... incredibly warm .... and heaven forbid if you actually go in, they will buy you time until rescue.

They run about $250 - $300 but will last you a lifetime!

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/product.php?id=293

Offline webster2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2010, 02:51 PM »
Thanks for the tip! 

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2010, 04:58 PM »
I bought one this year too.  I fish by myself a lot, so it will give me some peace of mind.  Hopefully I never need to put it to real use though.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:15 PM »
I am planning on getting the bibs and jacket. My husband is never cold but I am always cold, plus I like that flotation aspect.  Glad to know Gander Mtn. carries it.  How did you find the sizing runs, in case I order on line?  Thanks!
I elected to buy at Gander since i could try them on and would have them the day i bought them. I am 5' 9" and weigh 190 and wear a 44 reg suit jacket. Most shirts and sweaters etc are large. I bought the large on bibs and xlarge on the coat since I layer and like the coat to fit big. 

Offline Grnmtn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:56 PM »
My Dad had a story of finding a floater looking up thru the ice when he was young... that and you only have to have that heart stopping moment once and pop back on to the ice to realize there is no such thing as safe ice and a little extra floatation is saftey insurance well spent.

Offline webster2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:23 AM »
I elected to buy at Gander since i could try them on and would have them the day i bought them. I am 5' 9" and weigh 190 and wear a 44 reg suit jacket. Most shirts and sweaters etc are large. I bought the large on bibs and xlarge on the coat since I layer and like the coat to fit big. 

When you put it that way. it becomes a must have.  I see a trip to gander mtn. very soon.  Thanks!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:44 AM »
The price there really isn't all that much more than the mail order places on the net. I paid 169 for the bibs and 179 for the coat. Heck my old Cabelas expedition goose down coat costs more, it doesn't float, and isn't rain proof. I think they are around 330 total on the net with some places giving free shipping and some gloves. I just figured getting them local and returning would be easier if something was wrong with them. if you are willing to wear the Green Bay Packer version they are something like 250 on the net. true Giants or new England fans wouldn't be caught dead in one of those even if they were free. ;D

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:13 AM »
For me, The $249.00 that I paid for my Special Edition IDI Green and Yellow Plus suit is worth every penny, because it gives me a better chance to survive and get back home to my loved ones ! I used mine for the first time last weekend in Northern NH in -4 degree weather and snow, it exceeded my expectations and then some ! As far as it being Green and Yellow, it is a plus for me, because it stands out on the ice and it allows the missus to find me quickly in case there is any trouble out there when I'm out there running and gunning, when she is in the Frabill ! I was wearing my Patriots SuperBowl Champions Sweat shirt under the bibs so I was covered there !  :roflmao: It is money Well Spent !  :thumbsup:

Offline duckdownr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2010, 11:15 AM »
Keep an eye at Dicks, last year I bought the jacket and bibs for $75 brand new... I love the Artic Armor, light, warm and it floats!!!!

Better safe than sorry.......

Offline webster2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2010, 04:05 PM »
Do you wear a lot of layers underneath, or just regular clothes?  We went out today and I found I was having trouble getting around because I had so many layers on, kind of Stay-Puf Marshmallow man syndrome, and I was still cold.  Wow, great buy at Dick's last year!  I saw a guy a Keeler's wearing Arctic Armore, and it didn't look like he had a lot of layers but seemed very warm. 

surflizard

« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2010, 04:20 PM »
All I wear under my IDI Plus suit is medium weight under armor top and bottom and a light weight micro fleece shirt, I was out in -4 temps and I was more than warm enough ! Too many layers under it and You Will Sweat and once you get chilled, your done !

Offline duckdownr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2010, 04:39 PM »
I wear a medium poly pro and or regular clothes? I am from the desert too so I am usually very cold, but always warm with my AA.....

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:10 PM »
Just long UW under the bibs and a down vest with a lined flannel shirt on top under the coat. I have been in single digit temps with wind and was comfortable.

Offline webster2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2010, 04:05 PM »
Sounds like just what i am looking for, thanks! 

Offline fishermarsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2010, 07:51 PM »
Hey boys, try this out.  The guys at lakechamplainangler.co m have been snatching these up like candy.  Everything they carry is 50% off until the end of the year.  Just type in the code onyxcamo2010 when you check out and you'll get the discount.  With shipping they're only $59.  Haven't seen one but everyone seems to be very happy with theirs.  Hurry, only have til the end of the year.  Onyx outdoors.com.
http://www.onyxoutdoor.com/product/240985/7501RDG/_/Flotation_Jacket

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.