Author Topic: 1 lb propane bottles leaking....  (Read 15380 times)

Offline finatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • For how can one fool make another wise? Kansas
1 lb propane bottles leaking....
« on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:46 PM »
What's the trick to keep 1 lb propane bottles from leaking after you disconnect them....?   I tried depressing the needle value ...Setting upside down on the ice...Today I tried dumping boiling water on it before disconnecting...That didn't work either... any suggestion.....  Thanks ...Fin

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 1 lb propane bottles leaking....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:47 PM »
leave them connected or use them completely. 

I prefer to use a 20lb tank or a 5 lb tank
Don

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Got the tip from another member on here.  Have not tried it yet but it could work, a squirt of wd-40 and nail.  give it a squirt and use the nail to depress the valve quick and see if it sets better and leak stops.

Offline Smeltkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Got the tip from another member on here.  Have not tried it yet but it could work, a squirt of wd-40 and nail.  give it a squirt and use the nail to depress the valve quick and see if it sets better and leak stops.
That's a good tip for my refilled 1lbers.

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:40 PM »
The valve is constructed of soft steel, a small spring and rubber plug.

Q: What happens when metal gets cold?
A: It contracts.

Q: What is contraction?
A: Contraction is shrinkage, the object gets smaller.

My theory is this.

When you use the propane the bottle gets very cold (you've seen the frost on the bottom of the bottle). The spring is thin therefore loses its spring/size and strength to push up due to the cold. The bottles pressure goes down and there is not enough to help the valve close. Week spring, low pressure. Valve don't close tight.

Use the entire bottle before removing the bottle.

Dispose of properly.

My two cents.

Tj

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline Smeltkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:46 PM »
The valve is constructed of soft steel, a small spring and rubber plug.

Q: What happens when metal gets cold?
A: It contracts.

Q: What is contraction?
A: Contraction is shrinkage, the object gets smaller.

My theory is this.

When you use the propane the bottle gets very cold (you've seen the frost on the bottom of the bottle). The spring is thin therefore loses its spring/size and strength to push up due to the cold. The bottles pressure goes down and there is not enough to help the valve close. Week spring, low pressure. Valve don't close tight.

Use the entire bottle before removing the bottle.

Dispose of properly.

My two cents.

Tj
Do you sell propane and propane accessories?

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:01 PM »
Especially those OZARK brand crap sold at Wal Mart. The valves in those are horrible. Keep pushing it down with a nail like the other guy said and letting it pop up again until mit does seat and stop leaking. I will only buy the Coleman brand from now on, not the cheap Wal Mart garbage.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:12 PM »
I've had the same problem w/leaks.Cabelas has brass screw on caps for the 1lbr's.I recently picked some up but haven't tried them yet.Should work at least as well as leaving the tanks connected.

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:16 PM »
Do you sell propane and propane accessories?

:roflmao: LOL. No I don't sell propane..

Just my theory.

PS: I also agree with using Coleman brand tanks.

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:18 PM »
leave them connected or use them completely. 

I prefer to use a 20lb tank or a 5 lb tank

I just had my empty 5# tank filled today. Cost $3.17.

Disposable 1# cans are on sale at Gander for $3.00

A 5# can will pay for itself and the connecting hose in a years time and then your really saving.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline Skidda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Thats why they call it fishin, not catchin........
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:18 PM »
Especially those OZARK brand crap sold at Wal Mart. The valves in those are horrible. Keep pushing it down with a nail like the other guy said and letting it pop up again until mit does seat and stop leaking. I will only buy the Coleman brand from now on, not the cheap Wal Mart garbage.

I have had the same problem with Ozarks. Only difference is it was summer time.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:22 PM »
I just had my empty 5# tank filled today. Cost $3.17.

Disposable 1# cans are on sale at Gander for $3.00

A 5# can will pay for itself and the connecting hose in a years time and then your really saving.

not to mention you will not see people leaving them on the ice and they don't fill the land fills
Don

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:36 PM »

[/quote]A 5# can will pay for itself and the connecting hose in a years time and then your really saving.

[/quote]I really like the 5lbers but with the price they get for the tank it would take most of us  longer than a year to break even.I just don't use that much.The 5's are way overpriced-20 lbers are alot cheaper than the 5's.I do agree the 5's are the way to go.

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:22 PM »
I have had good luck smacking the valve with a piece of 2x4 to get the valve from leaking.

Joe

Offline finatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • For how can one fool make another wise? Kansas
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2010, 09:26 AM »
Well thanks for all the suggestion.... Weight and space are the primary concerns here in Pa...we must  get our equipment onto the ice without the aid of motor vehicles.....people power.... OK on snowless ice but.... they are not cheap bottles..just seemed to have this problem with all brands....as I said I tried setting the bottle  valve end down in hot water..... thought this might take care of temp differences and expansion issues..... no luck...  brass type screw on cap might work or even a hose with a shut off valve.....will keep trying and post if I have any  positive results...thanks Fin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.