The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger Recommendations  (Read 4632 times)

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
Auger Recommendations
« on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:21 AM »
Hi guys!

I posted this up in the Ice Auger forum:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=160753.0

If you wouldn't mind giving it a quick read and giving me your opinion that would be greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks!

//\\//\\ark
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Auger Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:06 AM »
HAHAHA!!! I didn't even notice that I thought it inserts them automatically! LOL!
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:21 AM »
I would certainly recommend the Eskimo.  I don't have the Shark, but I have the Stingray, and they both have the Viper engines.  I bought mine from an organization that was putting on an ice fishing tourny so they bought a dozen Stingrays, drilled the holes and then sold them, so it was very close to being new.  When I first got it, it wouldn't fire up when it was cold unless you pulled the plug and used starting spray down the hole.  Once you got it started and warmed up it was great.  After about the fourth time out with it like this, I got pi$$ed off and decided to take a crack at it myself.  I adjusted the carb, and it's been FANTASTIC ever since.  I've fished with it from +7 to -38 and it's started within 2 pulls every time, it cuts well, light, reliable, since I adjusted the carb it's been perfect.  I bought it to get rid of an old Jiffy Model 30 that I had and was too heavy and I'm real glad I did.  The Eskimo is a way better auger than that old Jiffy was.  I've had it for almost 4 years now and I can't say enough good about it.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2010, 12:15 PM »
I don't know much about the shark, but I have a Mako, and absolutely no problems with it.

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 12:32 PM »
  Buy a strike master with the SOLO engine its a German engineered motor
and is by far the best out there for this year.
Jiffy was the best by far until they changed to the chinese engines.
carbs are junk and have been nothing but problems.
Eskimo is also in the chinese lineup with there viper engines
being made in china also. cheep weak and junk.
i have read the facts and looked at each auger and
for 2010-2011 the strikemaster is the one to go with. Everyone
to there own but if you are serious about a new auger and do
enough fishing to make it worth it than you wont be dissapointed.
 ;D

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:07 PM »
solo is MADE in China. That's all I'm gonna say on it.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:10 PM »
I don't know much about the shark, but I have a Mako, and absolutely no problems with it.

That's cause you have only had it out once...   :P

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:26 PM »
And your point is? We drilled prob 15-20 holes, and it didn't give me a single cough of trouble.  :P ;)

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2010, 03:42 PM »
Eskimo makes a fine product shawno >:( >:(

Offline Frozenhole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2010, 04:30 PM »
If your auger drills holes whether it's gas or manual,  I could care a less what brand it is, and where it was made. A hole is a hole.  :P

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:03 PM »
I would also like to point out that it has a lot to do with what gas you use, how you store it ,dirt in gas can, carb. settings etc. I bought a jiffy a few years ago and it ran like crap the day i bought it. I changed the factory plug and played with the carb and it runs way better now. And shell gas 91 octane v power all the way. no coop gas here. My two cents.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Eskimo makes a fine product shawno >:( >:(

Oh I'm not disputing that Engineman...I think it looks like a fine product.  I think at that pricepoint, it is hard to beat and I have no doubt it will provide many years of great service.  I was just giving Jon a hardtime...he made it sound like he was a "seasoned" veteran with it that is all.

Of course he isn't going to have any problems with it...it has only put down 15 holes...

Didn't mean to offend anyone...sorry if it came across that way.

shawno

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Thanks for all your replies everyone!!!!  I ended up walking into The Fishin' Hole to take a look and ended up buying the Shark Z71.  Pretty pumped can't wait to get it out.  Here are a couple of quick pics:

//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:52 PM »
Congrats!!  I'm sure you are going to be happy with it.  Wow, two LX-5's and a Shark, looks awesome. I think Eskimo's are the best auger out there for the money right now.  Let us know what you think of it once you take it out. 

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2010, 06:52 AM »
Oh I'm not disputing that Engineman...I think it looks like a fine product.  I think at that pricepoint, it is hard to beat and I have no doubt it will provide many years of great service.  I was just giving Jon a hardtime...he made it sound like he was a "seasoned" veteran with it that is all.

Of course he isn't going to have any problems with it...it has only put down 15 holes...

Didn't mean to offend anyone...sorry if it came across that way.

shawno

No offence taken. Was just giving it back. ;D ;D

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2010, 07:19 PM »
I would certainly recommend the Eskimo.  I don't have the Shark, but I have the Stingray, and they both have the Viper engines.  I bought mine from an organization that was putting on an ice fishing tourny so they bought a dozen Stingrays, drilled the holes and then sold them, so it was very close to being new.  When I first got it, it wouldn't fire up when it was cold unless you pulled the plug and used starting spray down the hole.  Once you got it started and warmed up it was great.  After about the fourth time out with it like this, I got pi$$ed off and decided to take a crack at it myself.  I adjusted the carb, and it's been FANTASTIC ever since.  I've fished with it from +7 to -38 and it's started within 2 pulls every time, it cuts well, light, reliable, since I adjusted the carb it's been perfect.  I bought it to get rid of an old Jiffy Model 30 that I had and was too heavy and I'm real glad I did.  The Eskimo is a way better auger than that old Jiffy was.  I've had it for almost 4 years now and I can't say enough good about it.
I have the stingray and it runs awesome!!!

Offline Murf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2010, 07:33 PM »
I bought the Z51 Shark from the Fishin Hole and finally had it out for it's maiden voyage today.  What a difference compared to my old Jiffy.  It started on the first pull and idles like a dream.  When I got it broken in and warmed up I upped the rpms and this thing is an ice eating machine.  You will not be dissapointed especially since you have more power than my unit and it appears to be plenty.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2010, 12:35 AM »
Hey Murf!

Congrats on your new purchase.  I can't wait to get mine out this weekend, it sucks that I'm working (guess life just gets in the way of everything else? LOL).  I've since ordered a full size bag and an extension for it, LOL.  Christmas came a little early for me. 
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2010, 04:57 PM »
solo is MADE in China. That's all I'm gonna say on it.

So is over50% of the vehicle you drive, the computer you're looking at right now, your tools household appliances...ect...Its no longer 1970.
The Solo engine is fine. Think American made is so good..look at all the junker Jiffys out there.

Offline eat it run your mine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:34 PM »
great northern rod and real has some good sales on eskimos right now. i believe they were under 350 maybe 300. or if your like me, you'll spend all your money on a tent and have to use the hand auger, im not sure what kind it is but it never fails to start, just gotta warm it up with some alchy. :). one more piece of advice, if your going to get a tent that is 7'X14' you will need two propane heaters, if you want to be warm.(and i do).

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2010, 06:47 PM »
great northern rod and real has some good sales on eskimos right now. i believe they were under 350 maybe 300. or if your like me, you'll spend all your money on a tent and have to use the hand auger, im not sure what kind it is but it never fails to start, just gotta warm it up with some alchy. :). one more piece of advice, if your going to get a tent that is 7'X14' you will need two propane heaters, if you want to be warm.(and i do).
Actually I use an 8x16 canvas tent, and use one heater to keep it toasty warm even past -30.  Best money I've ever spent is on this heater:
http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=45&id=25

If you have a steady hand, you can set it at the right heat for almost any space.

Hey BlueDevil, have you tried that new auger yet???

Offline ryder29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:25 PM »
I ended up getting an Eskimo Z51 Shark for Christmas.  I have only had it out twice, it starts on the 2nd pull and runs great.  I hope this performance is going to last.  I am very happy with my Eskimo!
I'm just trying to get another bite.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:57 PM »
This is my 3rd year with mine, runs excellent, I do have to replace the one metal band that supports the gas tank, but all in all she is a good machine!
The engine on mine is the Italian one but its great, no problems yet!

emt

« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:04 AM »
me and the gf bought a strikemaster 2.5 hp 10 inch and I will never buy a jiffy again. I had a 2hp for 10 years and it was good until I broke the fuel talk off of it and after I got it fixed, it never worked right again. My dad has a jiffy legend 76-the thing is pretty much new and...has been a pain in the ass since new-done the carb already and put a new clutch in it. It still does not work right
from the moment I fired up the strikemaster and drilled a hole, I was sold
emt

Offline fishinhard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:05 PM »
Bought a Strikemaster 3hp 10 inch.  Second pull the recoil stopped working.  They sent me a knew one in three days.  Had it out over the holidays and worked for about 30 holes then something in the gears or clutch broke!  Have to phone them tomorrow and see what they are going to do for me.

Motor runs good and cuts good when it works.

We will see. ???

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:17 PM »
Actually I use an 8x16 canvas tent, and use one heater to keep it toasty warm even past -30.  Best money I've ever spent is on this heater:
http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=45&id=25

If you have a steady hand, you can set it at the right heat for almost any space.

Hey BlueDevil, have you tried that new auger yet???

Yup have had it out twice now, an absolute beast!!!!  Tons of power and eats ice no problem!!!!
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline noluckjoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:35 PM »
I have a strikemaster also and its worked good right up tell today when I was out on the Strap. My pull cord wasn't going all the way back in and I was kind of screwed. Anyhow I  got on the strikemaster web site and was able to load a vidio on how to fix that problem. If anyone is interested here is the vidio.

Hope that will help some of the pull start problems you guys are having

Offline fishinhard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Call Strikemaster.  They send you a new one free.  In three days to Canada.

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Yup have had it out twice now, an absolute beast!!!!  Tons of power and eats ice no problem!!!!
Another satisfied Eskimo owner, that's what I like to hear.  Hope it gives you years of great service!!

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:26 AM »
Another satisfied Eskimo owner, that's what I like to hear.  Hope it gives you years of great service!!

Me too!!!!  I'm liking the carry bag I got for it, easy to throw over your shoulder and walk short distances with it. 
//.\\//.\\ark

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.