Author Topic: Fish Jerky...  (Read 9102 times)

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fish Jerky...
« on: Dec 12, 2010, 02:37 PM »
I opted to stay home and make deer jerky today (and watch Da Bears game) and before I got started, I was reading various recipes just for kicks (I normally use Hi Mountain), and I noticed a few for fish jerky.  Never tried making it and never tasted it either, has anybody else gave it a go, or tasted it?
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline Icewarrior

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fish Jerky...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2010, 02:41 PM »
i love jerky never heard of fish jerky cant wait to see what everyone has to say about this one!!!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2010, 02:43 PM »
Sounds different. Would'nt mind giving it a try. Could you post the recipie?

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2010, 03:09 PM »
Sounds different. Would'nt mind giving it a try. Could you post the recipie?
Ingredients:

Fish with skin
16 ounces Yoshida’s Gourmet Sauce
16 ounces beer – your preference
Directions:

After making strips, make your marinade.
Let marinate as long as you’d like.
Place fillets skin-side down on smoker or dehydrator.

If you can't find Yoshida's Sauce, this is how you make it:
Ingredients:Yield:
2 cups soy sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar, divided
3/4 cup white sugar, divided
8 green onions, cut into 1 1/2 inch sections
4 slices fresh gingerroot
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 cup honey

1 Combine soy sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar, green onions, ginger and garlic in a 2 quart saucepan. Bring the mixture to a slight boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. 2 Pour the remaining white and brown sugar and the honey into the saucepan. Bring to a boil. The mixture will rise and foam, when it does this and doubles in size remove the pan from heat and cool.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2010, 03:09 PM »
HURL!!
but thats just my opinion! i guess like anything else if you slop enough teriaki on it...anything is edible!!

no ofense on the recipe...just the idea in general!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2010, 03:14 PM »
I have made it more than once, taste great!  bluegill and catfish seems to work the best, just use the regular recipe, and keep an eye on it, it tends to dry faster than deer, if you have any ?'s just ask
                                                                                   paul
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2010, 03:18 PM »
HURL!!
but thats just my opinion! i guess like anything else if you slop enough teriaki on it...anything is edible!!

no ofense on the recipe...just the idea in general!

You might be right, but if you haven't tried it... YOU DON'T KNOW!  I will be adding a smoke sause as well, just in case, because outside teriaki, liquid smoke is the next best thing!  ;D

Daffydone, thanks for the reply.  Do you think Hi Mountain would work then?

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2010, 03:37 PM »
go with what you know, I use a standard pepper jerky recipe, and it taste really good, people are suprised at how good it taste, if you like high mountain, I would go with it
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Offline Big Icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drop jig hook repeat
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2010, 04:23 PM »
I have purposely left salmon in the smoker to dry. The tail pieces of the filets and spring coho filets work awesome! 24 hours at least to dehydrate all the water, but the oil will remain. Give it a try. I work with a guy who is married to an alaskan Eskimo woman, they say that is how salmon is preserved by all the natives and this is how it needs to be prepared so it can last til the next salmon run.
Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs.

http://www.peotoneweather.com/

Offline hrlyridr77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2010, 04:27 PM »
I opted to stay home and make deer jerky today (and watch Da Bears game) and before I got started, I was reading various recipes just for kicks (I normally use Hi Mountain), and I noticed a few for fish jerky.  Never tried making it and never tasted it either, has anybody else gave it a go, or tasted it?

Hope the jerky turns out good - cuz da Bears ain't doin too good.....
Sometimes it's not about the fish, but about the fishin'

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Thanks 4 the recipie. Now all I need is some fish 2 try it out.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:03 PM »
Now all I need is some fish 2 try it out.

Isnt that the truth lol!! I have not found any good ice yet... but atleast the duck huntin has been excellent! Shot a limit saturday and sunday morning!!

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:04 PM »
fish jerky sounds like a very traumatic experience!!!! it may ruin my jerky appetite for the rest of my life!!! good luck with it tho!!

:sick:

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:19 PM »
You might be right, but if you haven't tried it... YOU DON'T KNOW!  I will be adding a smoke sause as well, just in case, because outside teriaki, liquid smoke is the next best thing!  ;D

that sounds like a pick up line at a gay bar!!
there are alot of things i haven't tried...that know i don't want to!!

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:21 PM »
I have had whitefish sausage sticks. A friend got them at an indian village in minesota i think. pretty good.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:53 PM »
i make salmon and catfish jerky in the smoker.  same as regular, just smoked longer like daffy said.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline chevy hillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:45 PM »
catfish and trout both make great jerky.
I got mine from field and stream magazine. Their reciepe was a bit on the honolulu side, i didnt give it that spin, and absolutely loved it. Actaully gave it to a few folks who werent crazy about fish in general, and they liked it.
only down side is it does take alot of fish.

HB 8)

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:03 PM »
catfish and trout both make great jerky.
I got mine from field and stream magazine. Their reciepe was a bit on the honolulu side, i didnt give it that spin, and absolutely loved it. Actaully gave it to a few folks who werent crazy about fish in general, and they liked it.
only down side is it does take alot of fish.

HB 8)

I'm planinng to use crappie, bluegill, and walleye to see if there is a difference in taste and texture.  Did you leave the skin on? Can you post the recipe?

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:30 PM »
When I was a kid in the late 1970's I would make fish jerky out of bluegill in the spring while they were plentyful. I have been looking for another recipe since I have lost my old one. I don't remember leaving the skin on. It had soy sauce and I think brown sugar. Soak for a couple of hours and place in the oven until done. Quite good.  A-Bomb, try it. If you like it, eat more. If not, well . . . don't have any more (keep a beer around in case you do not like the taste).

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2010, 10:52 PM »
i'll just take your guys word for it...i don't eat fish! i hope it works out for ya though...

on a serious note i was under the belief that freshwater fish could carry parasites and should be cooked ...hot!
i will do some research and be back!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:06 PM »
Diphyllobothrium latum (the fish or broad tapeworm), is the largest human tapeworm. Several other Diphyllobothrium species have been reported to infect humans, but less frequently; they include D. pacificum, D. cordatum, D. ursi, D. dendriticum, D. lanceolatum, D. dalliae, and D. yonagoensis.

Diphyllobothriasis occurs in areas where lakes and rivers coexist with human consumption of raw or undercooked freshwater fish. Such areas are found in the Northern Hemisphere (Europe, ex-USSR, North America, Asia), and in Uganda and Chile (CDC, 1999c).

The adult D. latum tapeworm resides in the small intestine where it attaches to the mucosa. It can reach more than 10 m in length, with more than 3,000 proglottids. Immature eggs are discharged from the proglottids (up to 1,000,000 eggs per day per worm) and are passed in the feces. Under appropriate conditions, the egg matures (in 11-15 days), yields an oncosphere which develops into a coracidium. After ingestion by a suitable freshwater crustacean (copepod) (first intermediate host) the coracidium develops into a procercoid larva. Following ingestion of the copepod by a suitable freshwater fish (second intermediate host), the procercoid larva migrates into the fish flesh where it develops into a plerocercoid larva (sparganum). When the smaller infected fish is eaten by a larger one, the sparganum may migrate into the flesh of the larger fish. Humans (the optimal definitive host) acquire the infection by eating raw or undercooked infected fish. Eggs appear in the feces 5-6 weeks after infection. In addition to humans, many other mammals can also be infected.

Diphyllobothriasis can be a long lasting infection (decades). Most infections are asymptomatic. Manifestations may include abdominal discomfort, diarrhea, vomiting, weight loss. Vitamin B12 deficiency with pernicious anemia may occur. Massive infections may result in intestinal obstruction. Migration of proglottids can cause cholecystitis or cholangitis.

Fish Jerky 
Fish jerky may sound unusual, however it has been a part of the human diet for a very long time. Drying fish is an excellent method of preserving this vital food and many fishing and seafaring communities have had various styles of dried fish for eons. Dried codfish is one variety that comes to mind and is not an uncommon item to find in many households, especially in northern Europe.
while freshwater fish can be dried, it is not recommended that the home jerky maker use fresh water fish unless he or she is absolutely certain of the freshness of the fish and that it has no parasites. 

just be safe!!
A

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:10 AM »
I have dried out lake trout in my smoker. Marinade in pepper and a little worchester.  Turns out delicious :P

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:27 AM »

Sounds tasty to me. I like fish, smoked, grilled, poached, pan fried, and deep fried.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:49 AM »
Diphyllobothrium latum (the fish or broad tapeworm), is the largest human tapeworm. Several other Diphyllobothrium species have been reported to infect humans, but less frequently; they include D. pacificum, D. cordatum, D. ursi, D. dendriticum, D. lanceolatum, D. dalliae, and D. yonagoensis.

Diphyllobothriasis occurs in areas where lakes and rivers coexist with human consumption of raw or undercooked freshwater fish. Such areas are found in the Northern Hemisphere (Europe, ex-USSR, North America, Asia), and in Uganda and Chile (CDC, 1999c).

The adult D. latum tapeworm resides in the small intestine where it attaches to the mucosa. It can reach more than 10 m in length, with more than 3,000 proglottids. Immature eggs are discharged from the proglottids (up to 1,000,000 eggs per day per worm) and are passed in the feces. Under appropriate conditions, the egg matures (in 11-15 days), yields an oncosphere which develops into a coracidium. After ingestion by a suitable freshwater crustacean (copepod) (first intermediate host) the coracidium develops into a procercoid larva. Following ingestion of the copepod by a suitable freshwater fish (second intermediate host), the procercoid larva migrates into the fish flesh where it develops into a plerocercoid larva (sparganum). When the smaller infected fish is eaten by a larger one, the sparganum may migrate into the flesh of the larger fish. Humans (the optimal definitive host) acquire the infection by eating raw or undercooked infected fish. Eggs appear in the feces 5-6 weeks after infection. In addition to humans, many other mammals can also be infected.

Diphyllobothriasis can be a long lasting infection (decades). Most infections are asymptomatic. Manifestations may include abdominal discomfort, diarrhea, vomiting, weight loss. Vitamin B12 deficiency with pernicious anemia may occur. Massive infections may result in intestinal obstruction. Migration of proglottids can cause cholecystitis or cholangitis.

Fish Jerky 
Fish jerky may sound unusual, however it has been a part of the human diet for a very long time. Drying fish is an excellent method of preserving this vital food and many fishing and seafaring communities have had various styles of dried fish for eons. Dried codfish is one variety that comes to mind and is not an uncommon item to find in many households, especially in northern Europe.
while freshwater fish can be dried, it is not recommended that the home jerky maker use fresh water fish unless he or she is absolutely certain of the freshness of the fish and that it has no parasites. 

just be safe!!
A

i often wondered if i could use worms as a wieght loss program! lol :sick:
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:18 AM »
If you freeze the fillet first, wouldn't it kill the
parasites?

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:59 AM »
A bomb thanks for information. Kinda reminds me of biology and Latin class. Oh how refreshing. Thanks, maybe I will put the jerky on hold. LMAO

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:11 AM »
A bomb thanks for information. Kinda reminds me of biology and Latin class. Oh how refreshing. Thanks, maybe I will put the jerky on hold. LMAO
bishop, don't let a-bombs scare tactics work on you! He's not "blinding me with science"... Lol! My first batch it curing right now!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:15 AM »
bishop, don't let a-bombs scare tactics work on you! He's not "blinding me with science"... Lol! My first batch it curing right now!

LMAO!!!  High tide is not scared....if he gets worms he will just use it to his advantage and know he will never run out of live bait when on the ice ever again!!!!   :roflmao: :sick: :sick: :sick: :woot: :icefish:

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:21 AM »
LMAO!!!  High tide is not scared....if he gets worms he will just use it to his advantage and know he will never run out of live bait when on the ice ever again!!!!   :roflmao: :sick: :sick: :sick: :woot: :icefish:
I'll be lmao when somebody asks if they can borrow some bait... Lol. Your bait shipment will go out, as soon as the coffee and sliders work their magic, sir!

Offline GIBBS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:30 AM »
Don't know if i'll ever eat fish again. Thanks A-bomb lmao. The tapeworm waitloss program hmmm, maybe not a bad idea. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.